News: NFL: Chancellor 'surprised' by Ezekiel Elliott's physicality

JDSmith

Reaction score
I thought posters said Morris should start week 1? So much for that.

In all fairness nobody said Morris should start week 1 if Zeke looked like a beast in this game (as far as I can recall).

plasticman

Reaction score
Offensive pholosophy is always cyclic.

Some team begin doing something really well that the rest of the league wasnt prepared for.One they acheive a high level of success other teams begin building their offenses identically. Division rivals draft defensers with the specific attributes to fight this offfense.

Next thing you know, everybody is into it....which is when the next innovation or previously discarded philosophy begins the process of the next revolution.

So they say this is a passing league, defenses have to be quick and that typically requires them also to be smaller. DE's go from 285 pounds to as low as 255 to become more elusive. LB''s with pass defending or paas rushing skills are valued over their larger counterparts.

Now imagine a team that, actually inadvertantly, begins building an offensive line of monsters with the attribute of pushing a.D-line back 5 yards. This isnt just group of players who happpen to form a highly cohesive squad. By their own right, almost all of them are the best or second best at their position.

Consider a RB that has always jad to fight to het every inch he could. He is a scrapper, a guy that will take total advantage of the benefits.given him by the line.

Take another look at thoe defenses built to combat the passing game. They will play the run but nobody builds an.offense to maximize the run....until now.

These DE's have a.skill set that is meaningles. What good is your speed when you are not escaping a blocker but must now committ to defeating one of the biggest, strongest, meanest giants in the league just for the opportunity to be sideswiped by a tank disguised as a RB?

These DE's are in trouble by halftime. Some will not.go.onto the field in the 4th quarter.

Zeke's nickname will be "The Bone Collector", no trace of meat left, polished clean.

And the HC that tred to revise the Coryell offense will be lauded for the best running attack since Miami had Czonka, Kick, and Mercury Morris.

Yes, it is going to be a bloodbath.

QT

Reaction score
If you watched the end of the game when the players shake hands; You will noticed Richard Sherman giving him lots of praise and laughing with him. Then afterwards, Zeke and Kam shake hands and chat for a bit. Looks like he was getting alot of respect from the Seattle top defensive players.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The best part about not following the draft talk is that I'm never disappointed when the Cowboys select someone I didn't want. My ignorance is blissful, I'm always happy with our picks.
Too many jump to conclusions on draft day. I can remember, in another poster life, the forum going crazy over us taking Yosemite in the 1st round and I didn't even know about him so I was ignorant. But, I did some research on him that night and three things jumped out immediately.

His former coach was now the HC at AR, where Booger & Son are well connected so they had some inside boogie on him. Two, he was the smartest player in the draft and smart centers are a blessing for an OL, just like Stepnowski was. Then I see this third thing and thought 'Oh my', I actually thought something different but this is a family site, he broke a DL's arm hitting him.....at practice.............after the whistle. That attitude and beard deserved the nickname Yosemite.

Side note about draft synopses they put out about these players. The negative on him was getting to the second level. Take a look at that second level and see who gets there every bit as well as Martin.

Many people over-react on draft day because their guy doesn't get picked so they're down on the pick. I saw that happen with Zeke because people had a pet cat with Ramsey or Bosa or some other D player. I didn't see a better addition to our team to help that D than a 3 down RB. That's the first 1st rounder that I've been right about since Ware. It's all subjective.

plymkr

Reaction score
I was impressed with NFL Network starting the broadcast after Zeke was done running, Thanks NFL network and whatever contractual obligation that caused me to miss the exciting parts of the game.

chicago JK

Reaction score
Yeah that game would have been a battle for a full four quarters. I am hoping with our physical line and physical running backs, that it just wears down defenses in the fourth quarter.

Seattle does the same thing on defense as well. They just bang on you for four quarters. In previous years their running game would wear you out as well. Time will tell if they can replicate that without Lynch. In the past, Seattle had a lot of games (especially at home) where the game is close late in the third and it eventually turns into a route by forcing a bad turnover and then by the power run game and Russell taking advantage of favorable matchups when teams gear up against the run.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Well let's see. Zeke punked him once.

Then Kam felt he needed to save face so he cheap shotted him.

Then Zeke punked him again.

I'm not sure why Kam is that surprised.

Yeah, Cam couldn't have made more excuses after the game. First, he "didn't expect" the first one. Next he "didn't have any tape" on him. Third, he "didn't see the ball tipped" even though it had already hit the ground before he even hit Elliott. I guess he couldn't come up with any more to explain his missed tackle on the second Elliott collision. Feels good to have a guy as good as this backpeddling, literally and figuratively.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, Cam couldn't have made more excuses after the game. First, he "didn't expect" the first one. Next he "didn't have any tape" on him. Third, he "didn't see the ball tipped" even though it had already hit the ground before he even hit Elliott. I guess he couldn't come up with any more to explain his missed tackle on the second Elliott collision. Feels good to have a guy as good as this backpeddling, literally and figuratively.
Yeah but they don't prepare for players unless they're going to face them in the regular season. So, he probably didn't know much about him and thought he could intimidate him. I can't fault him for the backpedal, he's one of the best and known as the intimidator and letting a rookie do that to him is embarrassing and you can bet he got harassed by his teammates in the locker room.

A lot of pro players don't watch college ball except for their alma mater so their exposure to these rookies is limited but you can bet the ones that could catch that game last night were watching and I can imagine some sideways glances from DBs on the other East teams. And making that corner got some LB's attention as well.

It was interesting to hear D players talk about Gurley last season and how he surprised them. He didn't surprise those of us who watch college ball and I would have thought they watched a lot of GA game film on him but they didn't. Until they get NFL game film, I guess it doesn't matter.

Thefeelofcotton

Mandalorian
Reaction score
I love a RB that initiates contact. My only concern is Zeke getting seriously injured. I know he's young and spry and what not but, unless you're fighting for a TD or a first down just let the hits glance off of you like Emmitt did.

ksadler1

Reaction score
I love a RB that initiates contact. My only concern is Zeke getting seriously injured. I know he's young and spry and what not but, unless you're fighting for a TD or a first down just let the hits glance off of you like Emmitt did.

True that. I was having visions of Marion Barber while he was running. I love how physical Zeke is, but initiating contact like that, game after game, will shorten your career. I know he's trying to prove he belongs right now, but the coaches need to talk to him about avoiding contact too. I want to see this guy stick around a while.....

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
He's actually really good at avoiding or limiting contact in most cases. He wanted to send a message last night and it just happened to be against one of the well-known intimidators in the league.