NFL.com: Grading The 2018 Draft

DFWJC

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...rankings-bears-cowboys-cardinals-top-the-list

Very nice:clap:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
COWBOYS: A

» Round 1: (No. 19 overall) Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise State.
» Round 2: (50) Connor Williams, OL, Texas.
» Round 3: (81) Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado State.
» Round 4: (116) Dorance Armstrong, Edge, Kansas; (137) Dalton Schultz, TE, Stanford.
» Round 5: (171) Mike White, QB, Western Kentucky.
» Round 6: (193) Chris Covington, LB, Indiana; (208) Cedrick Wilson, WR, Boise State.
» Round 7: (236) Bo Scarbrough, RB, Alabama.

Good hosts enjoy their own parties, and the Cowboys certainly did that. (Well, maybe besides all the trolling.) Dallas did a fine job collecting talent at the JerryWorld Jamboree of 2018. Vander Esch is a large, freakish athlete who flies to the football and is quite comfortable in coverage. He'll slot right into the starting lineup, alongside Sean Lee and Jaylon Smith at linebacker. Williams, who grew up in the Dallas suburbs and played his college ball at Texas, apparently is poised to compete for the starting left guard spot, keeping La'el Collins at right tackle. (Though the 'Boys can swap those two if they so desire, as Williams spent his entire stay in Austin as the Longhorns' starting left tackle.) This O-line remains one of the league's deepest and very best. Pro Football Focus darling Michael Gallup can't fill the pass-catching vacuum by himself, but don't be surprised if he contributes steady returns in Year 1. Cedrick Wilson, another PFF favorite, carries some sleeper potential of his own. The cherry on top: Bo Scarbrough in Round 7. Spelling Ezekiel Elliott is a fine role for a 228-pound hammer who needs the kind of runway to get going that Dallas' O-line will provide.

:dance::oldcouple::dance:

Xelda

Reaction score
Do you remember when they drafted Connor Williams and the announcer said "He's not afraid to jump off sides"? I laughed and said "Great! That's just what we need." I'm sure he'll reign it in once he's in the NFL, but it seemed funny at the time. Thanks for putting the list together in short form. Too much information and I start to lose the big picture, if that makes any sense.

jay94

Reaction score
I would say A as well, I'm not as high on Vander, but rounds 2 and 3 were home runs.

New
I think we’ve done well above average the last 2 years.

1 more good one next year might be all it takes to get us that next championship.

I agree, I've liked these two last drafts in back to back years than to the point before I cared about drafting lol.

waving monkey

Reaction score
We have been keen eyed for three or more drafts now. There's some proving to be done but I'm pretty pumped.
There was luck in some of the picks like Connor but thats the case every draft.
With the MCollins injury DT1 remains the position of constant worry.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
We have been keen eyed for three or more drafts now. There's some proving to be done but I'm pretty pumped.
There was luck in some of the picks like Connor but thats the case every draft.
With the MCollins injury DT1 remains the position of constant worry.

2013 was the last "bad draft" but it was a bad draft for most of the NFL so it doesn't hurt as much relative to the rest of the league.

Rayman70

Reaction score
for those doubting Scar...just wait til camp starts and then preseason. That's all I will say.

kskboys

Reaction score
The whole draft was bad. I'm not sure any team got much out of that draft.
Yup, and in a bad draft, you trade up, not back, or trade picks for next year's draft. Poor decisions all around.

Connor Barwin, Henry Melton, Michael Bennett, Paul Kruger, Levitre, Alex Boone, TJ Lang, Jared Cook, Mike Wallace, Austin Collie, Louis Murphy, Hakeem Nicks, Jeremy Maclin, Kenny Britt, Rashad Jennings, Arian Foster, LeSean McCoy, Clay Matthews, Terrance Knighton, Sen'Derrick Marks

There were actually more good players than you think, but the top was overrated, and you had to pick and choose to find them. We were focused too much on Cb's and pass rushers, and the draft was weak in those two areas.

Verdict

Reaction score
Yup, and in a bad draft, you trade up, not back, or trade picks for next year's draft. Poor decisions all around.

Connor Barwin, Henry Melton, Michael Bennett, Paul Kruger, Levitre, Alex Boone, TJ Lang, Jared Cook, Mike Wallace, Austin Collie, Louis Murphy, Hakeem Nicks, Jeremy Maclin, Kenny Britt, Rashad Jennings, Arian Foster, LeSean McCoy, Clay Matthews, Terrance Knighton, Sen'Derrick Marks

There were actually more good players than you think, but the top was overrated, and you had to pick and choose to find them. We were focused too much on Cb's and pass rushers, and the draft was weak in those two areas.

All the more reason to avoid drafting for news. If the best players in the draft are punters, kickers and long snappers that had better be where you are spending your pick or trading out of the draft entirely.

We didn't have a first round pick in that draft so we didn't have much ammo to move around.