Recommended *** NFL Draft 2021 Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I realize we need defense but we need a left tackle for the future too. Tyron has been unable to stay healthy and he's 17M against the cap next year. We have to start looking at it

I think Collins will be our left tackle of the future. It took him a little while to settle in playing the right side because the left side is more natural to him, but then he looked like our best lineman in 2019. But we will eventually have to at least get a right tackle replacement. However, "eventually" is the key word. I think we've got line combinations even without Smith that would be better than anything we can put out there on defense.

Draft a developmental offensive tackle this year and if he doesn't show signs of his potential during the year, make the OL a priority next year. I've said in other threads that I would have trouble passing on players like Sewell, but I truly believe we have to attack our defensive problems in earnest if we want to compete. Best way to do that is either by taking a corner at 10 or trading down to the middle of the round and taking a defender, then taking one again in the second and again in the third.

Plankton

Reaction score
Unger was drafted by Seattle with pick 49...they traded up with Chicago to take him. Dallas first pick in 2009 draft was 69 (Jason Williams)

That's because the Cowboys traded out of their spot after Seattle. They were ready to hand in a card for Phil Loadholt, but ended up trading out of the slot.

What a horrible draft that was.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I realize we need defense but we need a left tackle for the future too. Tyron has been unable to stay healthy and he's 17M against the cap next year. We have to start looking at it

I agree. And with his current contract, Smith should have some trade value if the team chose to pursue that route. But then again, they never do, and he’s ‘family’.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Collins will be our left tackle of the future. It took him a little while to settle in playing the right side because the left side is more natural to him, but then he looked like our best lineman in 2019. But we will eventually have to at least get a right tackle replacement. However, "eventually" is the key word. I think we've got line combinations even without Smith that would be better than anything we can put out there on defense.

Draft a developmental offensive tackle this year and if he doesn't show signs of his potential during the year, make the OL a priority next year. I've said in other threads that I would have trouble passing on players like Sewell, but I truly believe we have to attack our defensive problems in earnest if we want to compete. Best way to do that is either by taking a corner at 10 or trading down to the middle of the round and taking a defender, then taking one again in the second and again in the third.

After 2020’s hip issues and lost season, I’m not sure that Collins is even our right tackle of the future.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
After 2020’s hip issues and lost season, I’m not sure that Collins is even our right tackle of the future.

That's possible, but he's a young player so there's a good chance of him bouncing back from that. I think there was a bit of a panic that was spread, especially with all the unknown concerning his injury. Maybe it's something that will threaten or shorten his career, but I don't see a need to speculate on that.

fivetwos

Reaction score
That's because the Cowboys traded out of their spot after Seattle. They were ready to hand in a card for Phil Loadholt, but ended up trading out of the slot.

What a horrible draft that was.
Yep, then told us it was bad on purpose.

If one digs a bit, there are some true head scratchers of quotes to be found from the brass of this organization over the years.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'm not sure Collins is a LT even without the hip problem at this stage of his career.

If he had to do it even in a pinch I'd be concerned.

This team really needs him and Smith to be back and solid if they are to do anything over the next few seasons.

They can't at all afford to replace either right now with pick 10 but it appears to be headed that way.

blueblood70

Reaction score
we have far far too much invested in Receivers and OL and on the O side of the ball, its so slanted the boat listed to one side and sank last year...

im not on board with BPA on offense, im more for trading down to make the defensive picks not reaching, gaining picks and packaging SOME LOWER PICKS FOR LATER TO MOVE UP AND GRAB OUR ACUTAL DEFNSEIVE TARGETS,,

so at first you move down , then later use the extra picks to move back up when target is close..

we need a strategic draft for defense our offense is beyond loaded with talent and cap hits

seriously the OL bs is old,

all the doctors here that say LC is done is stupid, sorry it is he had his best year in 2019 and not one word his injurys is career threatening, we have taken McGovern, Biadasz, and added OL depth both through the draft and undrafted guys and FA , we have starters plus depth , you cant keep asking for PB at every POL postion..

let dak and that skilled offense who are overpaid learn to adapt to normal OL, i mean some on here wanted to call out Dalton yet he played with patchwork 3rd string OL and made plays..umm hey 40mil boy wonder, figure it out like Watson and Wilson have had to do, adapt, scheme etc If you cant find a solid starting group out of TS, Cwill, Mcgovern, Biadsz, martin, LC , Knight, steele, Ty N., and adding late OL inthe draft or another FA like Looney or Senat still around..if the OL coach which did great job all season IMO cant work with that and our overpaid skill positional players cant adapt and succeed, 2022 needs them all cut or traded etc..move on time because having a need all 5 OL positions PBs is ridiculous and unnecessary.

no wrs, no OL, No early RBs,

we have those on big deals and sick of hearing we need more weapons', seriously?

No there are very good defenders in this draft they just happen to not be high up in the first but mid first and lower its not a reach..

you say no generational defenders, seriously how do you know? you are guessing its why payers lie TJ watt fall late in the first, Brady a 6th rounder, seriously,..

hey evaluators you overthink, over evaluate, and get stuck on the ridiculously long process for the pre draft mocks that have people going back and forth..

there will be great defenders that turn in PB years all over this draft..find them!

Hardline

Reaction score
I’m curious what the contingency plans lab is if Pitts, Surtain, and both Tackles are gone?
Take Chase if he's still there. Or a small trade down.
I hate the fact that a trade down will allow 2 division rivals to pick ahead of us though.

Last edited:

Carson

Reaction score
Those meaningless wins cost us the blue chip talent.
Sewell? He very well could still be there at 10.

The rest are QBs and WRs. Which we won’t have interest in. Same with Pitts, he likely goes 4-8.

So we missed out of Pitts, who honestly the team may prefer Jarwin and Schultz. Just spitting other opinions I love Pitts and want to draft him

Hardline

Reaction score
Sewell? He very well could still be there at 10.

The rest are QBs and WRs. Which we won’t have interest in. Same with Pitts, he likely goes 4-8.

So we missed out of Pitts, who honestly the team may prefer Jarwin and Schultz. Just spitting other opinions I love Pitts and want to draft him
I hope you're right.

Motorola

Reaction score
Take Chase if he's still there. Or a small trade down.
I hate the fact that a trade down will allow 2 division rivals to pick ahead of us though.
Ten days ago the Eagles had the no. 6 pick, but traded down behind both the Cowboys and Giants.
Either team could leapfrog the Cowboys at 10 if the first 5-6 picks of the draft leave a player(s) on the board they feel is a can't miss opportunity (unlikely - but a possibility).
If the Cowboys trade down, it means they don't covet any player left on the board at 10 that the Giants and Eagles could pick up at 11 & 12.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Two words

Trade. Back.

Onboard with this but depends on the offer and how far back. Maybe you get a team like the Pats or even the Skins where you can load some extra picks to chase a QB. I would be hesitant about moving further past the #20 range unless it's a pretty sick offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.