NFL Files Suit for Hardy File 2 hours after signing

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I hear you but intent or not that was beyond punishing a 4yo. There's people that have spent time for beating kids like that. AP had some great lawyers.

I see your side, but at a certain point we have to decide if the player should ever be allowed to play again. If we accept the Court's view of the matter, it was a misdemeanor and they have never been punished to this degree. The precedent for accepting criminal behavior in the League has long been set.

So it boils down to the length of the punishment. Peterson was not allowed to play in the final 15 games for a team that went 7-9 and lost 5 games by 3 points or less. The Vikings suffered along with Peterson. They did not get credit against the cap or any production from the 12m they had to pay him. Goodell is just winging it and making up new rules. Judge Doty slapped him down pretty severely.

Reaction score
can anyone with all the answers learn me on why this motion, from a legal perspective, wasn't done weeks/months ago?

Kaiser

Reaction score
On a related note, former 49ers player Ray McDonald is suing a woman for falsely accusing him of rape. One interesting note is that the NFL didn't suspend McDonald after he was cleared, something Hardy will no doubt argue at the appropriate time:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/...it-hoping-to-clear-name-and-sign-with-a-team/

Ray McDonald, released by the 49ers three months ago, is filing a lawsuit against a woman who accused him of rape in December.

McDonald claims the woman defamed him and intentionally interfered with his livelihood.

McDonald’s lawyer Steve M. DeFilippis, in a release sent to this newspapaer, said he expects prosecutors to eventually announce they are not pressing charges. But they haven’t done so yet, he notes, despite videotapes from McDonald’s home-surveillance system show the woman having “clearly consensual” sex with him in his hot tub.

McDonald has been allowed to sign with any team since the 49ers released him on Dec. 17. He finished last season as the 49ers’ fifth-leading tackler, and he started every game at left defensive tackle prior to his contract’s termination.He joined the 49ers in 2007 as a third-round draft pick out of Florida, and he became a starter in 2011. The NFL has not imposed any discipline on McDonald in the wake of last year’s two police investigations.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Here is a fun post on the collision of two CBZ favorites - ignorance and ESPN. I was at the gym and saw the ESPN feed with close caption. Mark Schlereth was asked about Hardy and his comment was that it was an opportunity for veterans to mentor Hardy. He said that what Hardy did was "horrible and reprehensible, but everyone deserves a second chance".

Like it or not, the media narrative has been set and the facts aren't going to change it.

I don't accept that the media's narrative isn't going to change. Stink(Mark Schlereth) and the other former athletes are not beyond educating. It's career media types like Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith that are more likely to adhere to and propagate the baseless narrative that despite there being no evidence to uphold a conviction, Hardy still did something "horrible and reprehensible".

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
The lawsuit could take months if the DA resists.

yup......that's what I'm expecting

This is gonna drag out all summer...just watch

By the time the season rolls around people are gonna be sick hearing Hardy's name

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
The case wasn't dismissed until Feb. of this year. The story implies that the league only filed the suit because their requests to get a copy of the court file have met with nothing but silence.

Like it should have.....

Lawyer/Client priviledge:p

The NFL can suck it......

And anything the NFL does get......will say the case was dismissed. End of story

dallasdave

Reaction score
I see your side, but at a certain point we have to decide if the player should ever be allowed to play again. If we accept the Court's view of the matter, it was a misdemeanor and they have never been punished to this degree. The precedent for accepting criminal behavior in the League has long been set.

So it boils down to the length of the punishment. Peterson was not allowed to play in the final 15 games for a team that went 7-9 and lost 5 games by 3 points or less. The Vikings suffered along with Peterson. They did not get credit against the cap or any production from the 12m they had to pay him. Goodell is just winging it and making up new rules. Judge Doty slapped him down pretty severely.

Well said indeed sir. Glad Judge Doty put him in his place. Goodell needs to be told to know his role and shut his hole.

maxdallasfan

Reaction score
the longer he is suspended just benefits us in the end. Think about it: Say he misses the first 8 games. Well guess what, he'll be playing like a man possessed in his final 8 games since he has no contract and no long term deal.

We could possibly get a years worth of sacks out of this monster in November and December. I like it. I like it alot.

bonafidebanter

Reaction score
The National Football League (NFL) is suing the North Carolina Attorney General and the Mecklenburg County District Attorney over the Greg Hardy domestic violence case.

After the charges were dismissed, the NFL filed a motion to have the evidence in the first trial unsealed so that it could make a decision on Hardy's future with the league.

But the exhibits had been returned to the district attorney's office and Hardy's attorney, Chris Fialko, on Feb. 11, two days after the charges were dismissed against Hardy.

That's when the league claims an Assistant District Attorney received the state's exhibits.

Fialko filed his own motion Feb. 16, asking the court to deny the NFL's request. That same day, Superior Court Judge Robert Bell signed an order doing just that.

The NFL argues that evidence filed in the first trial are considered public record.

The lawsuit says Hardy is the subject of disciplinary action by the league. Attorneys say they demanded access to the evidence again on March 11.

"Mr. Murray has refused Plaintiff access to the requested exhibits and refused to mediate the dispute," the lawsuit claims. "All legal proceedings against Mr. Hardy have concluded, therefore, the exhibits admitted in evidence and held by the District Attorney are no longer trial preparation materials."

The lawsuit claims Murray's refusal to grant access to the evidence in the case violates "fundamental openness and transparency in government as codified in the Public Records Act."

The league is requesting an immediate hearing by an appeals court and demanding Murray provide any evidence that the state has in its possession.