Twitter: NFL games may be coming to Germany

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ha.

My ex is from England and swears that they will never fully buy into the NFL no matter how much they attempt to shove it down their throats.

Half the people at those games are Americans who made the trip.

Ruling US sports and having more money than they could ever spend isn't enough for this group of owners.
It's not enough for many US businesses - many US products can be found all over the world.

conner01

Reaction score
To me it made since when the NFL was propping up NFL Europe league to have NFL teams go to Europe and play. Now with NFL Europe long gone, I don't see the point.
Simple
Money
Easy to figure out
With streaming the world is potential customers

InTheZone

Reaction score
pass

start your own league over there and in time make it a competition between the two....oh wait that failed so why are we sending the remnants of what we have left over there?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
When will we figure out the league is run by communists?.......Here is your first clue. "Let's play games in Germany"....:popcorn:

cowboyec

Reaction score
first mexico and london.
then germany.
next up......via satellite....
THE MOON.
:starspin:MILKY WAY'S TEAM:starspin:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Given how quickly and comfortably teams can charter planes to Europe, the only real barrier here is that normals think this is hard for them. Simple to leave a day or two earlier than normal and give a bye the following week. So much money in those markets that are packed with foreign fans and millions of ex-pats. Germany is a huge target - 50k military there semi-permanently and tons of other interested people.

niuzaimi

Reaction score
Kuhjungen uber alles!
I used to live in Germany, and my sister is married to a German man. I can tell you most Germans have no earthly clue about American football. That's not a put-down, mind you. I'm only saying that most of them have no understanding of the sport. That said, I did watch some Youtube vids of clips from NFL games with German announcers. I can say the German announcers were excellent. German is my second language, so I can understand them. They knew the game every bit as well as American announcers, and they covered it with excitement and passion. I was thinking if I needed to watch an NFL game in German, it would be no problem. They don't always get American stuff right in Germany, but these announcers certainly did. If the public in Germany understood our brand of football as well as those announcers did, I believe it would be a popular sport there. There are some things American that Germany totally messes up. I saw the original Star Trek dubbed into German and it was awful. That exciting intro that William Shatner did with such passage and drama "Space, the final frontier ..." is atrocious in the German version. It sounds like a Germany university professor giving the same lecture he's given for 20 years and is bored stiff of. But the German NFL announcers were outstanding. They compete with the best American ones, IMO.

Could NFL football become super popular in Germany? I suppose it's possible, but it's a long shot. European football, aka soccer, is king there. Practically everyone there loves it and longs for Germany to win another World Cup. I suspect at best American football could be a loved curiosity in Germany.

Agreed, American football is more of a niche sport than anything. I used to go to most of the Munich Cowboys home games and even though there definitely was a crowd, it wasn't even close to what you would see in the first of second Bundesliga. That said, it was getting more popular and if there was a football Dirk Nowitzki to come out of Germany, I could see it surpassing a sport like handball or volleyball.

Praxit

Reaction score
....I heard Putin is a Eagle fan. Has McNabb poster in his office.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Can you imagine if Rammstein ends up being the halftime show of the first of the German games?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'm just loving all the hot takes about European interest from people who appear to have not even set foot on the continent. Ah, Americans. Lol.

I went to Germany in 2014 and saw Germany win the World Cup. Cologne is a beautiful city.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I don't mind those early games actually. It is better than the lame pre game shows. And 4 games for the day. :thumbup:

I have absolutely no interest in 8am football, and I have even less interest in games played in the UK, and Germany is even worse.