NFL Head Coach Rankings (CBS)

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The AFC South is arguably as bad as NFC East.

LOL.....wait till we lose to the Colts, Titans, and yes the Jags in Florida this coming season.
Your opinion will change very quickly and bitterly!!!!

P.S.Remember the last time we played the Colts???
Donuts anyone???

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I would have him higher than 18. As some have already said, it may have more to do with him being in the hot seat this off-season than his actual coaching abilities. He s certainly not top 10.

But he also has more to overcome than most coaches because if the meddling of his superiors. No other HC has to hold off starting the coaches meeting while waiting for the owner’s helicopter to land so he and #1 son can be at the meeting.
Gotta disagree witcha brother. Lincoln Riley has always had an enormous talent advantage at OU over his opposing coaches’ teams. That talent advantage disappears in the NFL where the difference between a 4-13 team and 13-4 team is razor thin.

Being a successful NFL HC is exponentially harder than in college where the talent disparities make some coaches look better than they are. I think Riley is a good college HC. NFL quality? I’m not convinced.
Yep , college coaches are over rated. Especially ones from big state schools which have more talent. What most of these coaches are is great recruiters.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
LOL.....wait till we lose to the Colts, Titans, and yes the Jags in Florida this coming season.

Donuts anyone???
Like I said , arguably. There’s really no other division in the discussion.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder if McCarthy would even be a head coach today if he didn't have Farve and Rodgers?

He could've been a 2 or 3 year type of head coach and then moved around as a coordinator and maybe got another opportunity somewhere.

I don't believe for a second he'd be heading into his 14th year as a head coach if didn't start with Farve and Rodgers.

Could very well be.

A long time ago the Musers on the Ticket. They did a segment that what does a championship buy you. But it was based more for a NCAA championship before the college playoff system happened.
It was around the time Mack Brown and Texas, with Vince Young beat USC in the title game. Can't remember if it was before or after that.

Their theory at the time was a national championship may get you another 10 years of coaching at the same school. Barring any major changes of course, such as any NCAA violations.
Not sure how that carries over to the NFL, probably not 10 years more. However, it will get you a 2nd and 3rd chance with other teams.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Could very well be.

A long time ago the Musers on the Ticket. They did a segment that what does a championship buy you. But it was based more for a NCAA championship before the college playoff system happened.
It was around the time Mack Brown and Texas, with Vince Young beat USC in the title game. Can't remember if it was before or after that.

Their theory at the time was a national championship may get you another 10 years of coaching at the same school. Barring any major changes of course, such as any NCAA violations.
Not sure how that carries over to the NFL, probably not 10 years more. However, it will get you a 2nd and 3rd chance with other teams.
100%

If McCathy goes ring less with Farve and Rodgers there's no way he's going into his 14th straight year as a head coach.

I believe that once he is ultimately let go from the Cowboys he, like Jason Garrett, will never be a head coach again.

We're the last stop before coaches are put out to pasture in terms of ever being a head coach again. Switzer, Campo, Parcells, Garrett, and Phillips.

All those guys never got another head coaching gig and those are just the guys since Johnson.

J-man

Reaction score

quickccc

Reaction score
Here's the major minuses going against McCarthy as i see it:

1) The perception being forced is that McCarthy has “allowed” Kellen to run-control the offense since he’s arrived, .
It’s not gonna be put into the open public, but there remains another perception that the Jones forced Mac to let Kellen continue the offense under his control.
Nuthin about his current offense seems to have McCarthy's hand print on it at all.

2) McCarthy hired his buddy Mike Nolan to be DC, who in his only year compiled the worse recorded defense in Cowboys history, ..
even vs Monte Kiffin, even the beginning years of the 60’s, even the declining 80’s of Landry, and Jimmie’s rookie 1st year in just one win.
That’s a humongous stamp of disapproval against the Mac.
Management (not McCarthy) could not wait to fire Nolan and DL coach Tomsula. It is also the perception that
the Quinn hire was more from management than it was McCarthy’s. The Nolan hire was a major strike against trusting McCarthy among management team, ..imo.
I really believe that if it was up to McCarthy- he would have brought Nolan right back as DC again.
And the DC fiasco further adds to the eventual pendulum swing vs McCarthy,..imo.

3) Watch the OL coach role situation with Philibin. That’s another McCarthy hire- another long time GB buddy, and Philibin is on the hot skillet watch with a personnel
turnover OL unit. We actually had one of the better OL units under ex-OL coach Marc Columbo (2nd in NFL in fewest sacks allowed, 5th in NFL in rushing)
but with Mac’s arrival he was insistent on Philibin and GB like zone scheme. The Rest is history.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Really now, aren't we in the dead middle of every "list" that comes out?

Sounds about right.

Relative and interesting.

quickccc

Reaction score
I'm a little surprised that Zac Taylor of the Bengals is only at 15. He did a great job getting his team to the Super Bowl last season.

Ditto here.

This sounds like a good ole boy poll and ranking; Cincy’s Zac Taylor should be ranked much higher due to their workings in the playoffs
including upsetting Mahomes and Reid on their own turf that placed Cincy in SB vs Rams, …came down to the last drive of the game.

And its only Taylor’s 4th year in the NFL since hired as Cincy HC … and how have we’ve been waiting in to get anywhere near close to a conference title playoff game or much less SB appearance
in almost 25 years...?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Here's the major minuses going against McCarthy as i see it:

1) The perception being forced is that McCarthy has “allowed” Kellen to run-control the offense since he’s arrived, .
It’s not gonna be put into the open public, but there remains another perception that the Jones forced Mac to let Kellen continue the offense under his control.
Nuthin about his current offense seems to have McCarthy's hand print on it at all.

2) McCarthy hired his buddy Mike Nolan to be DC, who in his only year compiled the worse recorded defense in Cowboys history, ..
even vs Monte Kiffin, even the beginning years of the 60’s, even the declining 80’s of Landry, and Jimmie’s rookie 1st year in just one win.
That’s a humongous stamp of disapproval against the Mac.
Management (not McCarthy) could not wait to fire Nolan and DL coach Tomsula. It is also the perception that
the Quinn hire was more from management than it was McCarthy’s. The Nolan hire was a major strike against trusting McCarthy among management team, ..imo.
I really believe that if it was up to McCarthy- he would have brought Nolan right back as DC again.
And the DC fiasco further adds to the eventual pendulum swing vs McCarthy,..imo.

3) Watch the OL coach role situation with Philibin. That’s another McCarthy hire- another long time GB buddy, and Philibin is on the hot skillet watch with a personnel
turnover OL unit. We actually had one of the better OL units under ex-OL coach Marc Columbo (2nd in NFL in fewest sacks allowed, 5th in NFL in rushing)
but with Mac’s arrival he was insistent on Philibin and GB like zone scheme. The Rest is history.
When you hire your buddies instead of people right for the job you deserve to fail as far as I'm concerned.

quickccc

Reaction score
When you hire your buddies instead of people right for the job you deserve to fail as far as I'm concerned.

Coaches like and prefer to go with those that they are most familiar with, ..that's fine but they had better make sure they get it right, .be quick to make the immediate necessary changes,
or be prepared to pay the ultimate consequences.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Coaches like and prefer to go with those that they are most familiar with, ..that's fine but they had better make sure they get it right, .be quick to make the immediate necessary changes,
or be prepared to pay the ultimate consequences.
The Nolan hire is what gets me.

What was the point of that? Why to go bat for that guy? When was the last time he was the defensive coordinator of an actual good defense?

He was bouncing around as a LBs coach before getting one last shot from McCarthy. That hire is a big stain for McCarthy and makes him look really bad.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The big minus for McCarthy is Jethro and the toxic atmosphere and meddling created by our dysfunctional ownership.

When your OC is dictated and you don’t have much input to your offense when your an offense HC minded that’s a Red Flag. And how many HC are told by their Owner which RB is going to start.

HC are basically puppets here. None are set up for success. Winning isn’t the absolute priority.

Carson

Reaction score

Donuts anyone???
4 years later isn't really of much relevance.

But if it’s to you, four years prior we beat them 42-7.

basel90

Reaction score
But the two divisions with worse records play each other twice too! Besides, teams with worse records would get easier records, so your point is moot. That said, none of that really matters in today’s NFL, because nowdays, teams can change drastically from year to year.
agree.

quickccc

Reaction score

What was the point of that? Why to go bat for that guy? When was the last time he was the defensive coordinator of an actual good defense?

He was bouncing around as a LBs coach before getting one last shot from McCarthy. That hire is a big stain for McCarthy and makes him look really bad.

Apparently with Nolan hiring, again he was a familiar with McCarthy, during when Nolan was Niners HC , while Mac was the OC
Although Nolan was a successful DC in his days with Baltimore (in 2001) he was just the opposite in his DC days in ATL, where he did not pan out.

- Maybe Mac figured it was a matter of personnel than coaching in ATL, and he knows Nolan personally up close.
And again coaches tend to prefer coaches they are more familiar with in some capacity or another, ..

- Scott Linehan did it with disasterous OL coach Paul Alexander,
- I believe Garrett hired on Linehan because he had past familiarity with him.
- Kellen Moore was connected related with Linehan doing his QB years here., en route to a coaching and OC here, with Linehan.

- Some coaching decisions are grapevine hiring, ala Monte Kiffin, Rob Ryan, Kris Richard, etc.
Some coaches and coordinators keep track and admire current incumbent work that they retain existing asst. coaches ....ala Leon Lett (DT) .George Edwards, and Al Harris.
I believe McCarthy’s LB coach in GB,(Scott Curley) that came along, is still here too.

- Keep in mind some here , on this board, were not on board with Dan Quinn hiring as new DC,..i still recall the mumblings and grumbling rants,
much to the blame of his HC and defense decline in ATL.
But yet notice nowadays how we don’t hear those same disgruntlement now with Quinn as we did when he was hired on.

basel90

Reaction score
100%

If McCathy goes ring less with Farve and Rodgers there's no way he's going into his 14th straight year as a head coach.

I believe that once he is ultimately let go from the Cowboys he, like Jason Garrett, will never be a head coach again.

We're the last stop before coaches are put out to pasture in terms of ever being a head coach again. Switzer, Campo, Parcells, Garrett, and Phillips.

All those guys never got another head coaching gig and those are just the guys since Johnson.
Very valid points and interesting how no one continues to be a HC after being HC at the cowboys . Curious who would have hired MM if he was not hired by jerry . I believe some other teams were interested.
The sad thing is that he has fallen so quickly in the view of fans and analysts, you wonder how lucky he was to be at Green Bay ( an organization that is extremely well managed ) and how much he benefited from haveing a HOF QBs like Favre/ Rodgers. He has been lucky all his career with HOF QBs i believe he was also with the 49ers when Montana was there.
Being under Marty Schotenheimer at KC was also a blessing as he was one of the winningest coaches ever not to win a SB and is in the KC Chiefs HOF.

basel90

Reaction score

The nolan hiring disaster and the 6 win season for MM was the early signs that MM is not the right coach to make any significant change over Garrett. After 10 years under Garrett this team needed a young , dynamic hot coach and not a washed up coach who was recently fired. Jerry's blunders are so many it is amazing how he expects different outcomes.