NFL Insider Explains How He Convinced Cowboys to Hire Mike McCarthy

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey, at least it was Jay Glazer and not a homeless guy talking the owner into a huge decision.

So we have that.

I am surprised it was not the liquor store clerk. Glazer stole that guys scoop. :muttley:
Oh wait, he did, Glazer got it from him and stole it.:lmao:

John813

Reaction score
Would explain how Jay was the one to break that Garrett would not be returning.

Verdict

Reaction score
100% agree.

I also hope McCarthy has the brass set that Jimmy Johnson had to deal with any malcontents he might encounter while toughening them up. He has to establish it from the jump and there may be a little backlash, so a few heads will have to roll.

Bringing back Witten would be a huge mistake. He’s a me first player who was a lackey for Garrett. He has to move on from Witten for reasons other than his play.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
They were talking about how good Dan Marino was yesterday on First Take and how a Super Bowl would effect Andy Reid’s legacy. Coaches and players both know this, when you win a Super Bowl everybody looks at you different. Idc how good your players are, good teams are forgotten by history bc they didn’t win rings. Mike McCarthy’s already cemented his legacy as a Super Bowl winning coach but there’s a lot more on the line for him, people will remember him more by his run in Dallas and he knows that.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Glazer is full of BS....silly idea. McCarthy sold himself at the interview. That's how it always works. Jerry may have even still been planning on other defensive interviews, but that doesn't mean Glazer talked Jerry into anything. He doesn't even claim he mentioned MM, just to get a leader of men....lol.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
They were talking about how good Dan Marino was yesterday on First Take and how a Super Bowl would effect Andy Reid’s legacy. Coaches and players both know this, when you win a Super Bowl everybody looks at you different. Idc how good your players are, good teams are forgotten by history bc they didn’t win rings. Mike McCarthy’s already cemented his legacy as a Super Bowl winning coach but there’s a lot more on the line for him, people will remember him more by his run in Dallas and he knows that.

I agree. I think Mike has a chance to bring this storied franchise back to the SB and make them champions which would add to his legacy when you stop and think he brought a championship back to GB who had not seen one since Vince Lombardi was their HC.

FanSince71

Reaction score
Bringing back Witten would be a huge mistake. He’s a me first player who was a lackey for Garrett. He has to move on from Witten for reasons other than his play.

Yep, and all this talk from Witten about being committed to playing in 2020 scares the crap outta me. I realize his security blanket Garrett is gone, but Jerry still owns the team and sometimes he can’t help himself.

I love what Witten has meant to the franchise and I’ll even forgive his extremely selfish un-retirement last season because he saw an opportunity at a Super Bowl, but no more “what if’s.” I don’t even want him back in a limited role because he won’t accept it and there will be pressure (somehow) to placate him because he’s Jason Witten. No thanks!

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Man, it would have been fun to watch all the ninnies lose their stuff if we’d gone from Garrett to Zimmer.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Of course there will be resistance. But JJ has to let him apply the power. If they find they can bypass him and go straight to JJ then it won’t work.

First team meeting should be like the movie heartbreak ridge when Eastwood went to meet his men in recon platoon. Lol. If you saw that movie you will understand. Lol.
:hammer:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah I’m not so sure if not getting a defensive minded head coach was the right move.

If the report is accurate then it really was not about offense or defensive coach as much as a person who could come in and lead this team

Originally the Cowboys owners wanted a defensive coach because they wanted to keep the offensive staff,” Glazer said on Radio Row at the Super Bowl. “I’m like, don’t do that, guys. And I talk to the Joneses about it. I said don’t do that. You get yourself in trouble that way. Get a leader of men. Get a guy who’s going to formulate the attitude of your team. This is who you want.”

I can't say if this is all hogwash or if this is the conversation Glazer had with the Jones took place. I have no reason to not believe that this conversation did not take place. If it did then I think he is right, it is not so much about offense or defensive minded coach as much as it is leading these men on your football team

quickccc

Reaction score
It's also scary to think that we could have had Marvin Lewis as our HC.

Holy hell. Although I guess it makes sense............... we kept Marvin Lewis Lite for a decade, so why not go out and get the real thing?

now was Marvin Lewis an actual legit consideration ? .... or part of the usual legit Rooney rule ? :huh:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry said years a go, he as well as every team has a short list of coaches to look at if a change comes about.
I am pretty sure MM was on this list for quite a while. Just as Peyton was until he signed his 5 year extension.

Glazer had nothing to do with this in the final choice. Oh, he made have mentioned it to them, but he did not convince them.

I agree. There was a conversation, and SUDDENLY...it was some huge influence on the Cowboys. Okay, yeah , sure.