NFL Insider Explains How He Convinced Cowboys to Hire Mike McCarthy

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
MM might be a good coach but these clowns making him like he is the second coming
The man was desperately looking for a good job no mystery about it and he is well connected in the media.

Proof

Reaction score
It's also scary to think that we could have had Marvin Lewis as our HC.

Holy hell. Although I guess it makes sense............... we kept Marvin Lewis Lite for a decade, so why not go out and get the real thing?

rooney

Cannibal_Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't buy this BS from Glazer and how he made this happen. If the Jones had their mind made up to bring in Zimmer and go defense and keep the offensive staff. Though it sounds like something they would do, that is what they would have done.

Remember he hired Wade because he wanted a 3-4 defensive minded coach, so that is what Jerry did. So I believe he knows he needed to completely change and clean house, but not because some "insider" convinced him otherwise.
Glazer is a pumpkin headed moron.
Most probably don't remember, but back in the Super Bowl years he absolutely despised the Cowboys.

Tommy

Reaction score
I sent a letter to Jerry telling him not to hire a coach from college football. That he would not know what he’s getting. It’s too risky.

So it’s clear that he took my advice. I don’t know what Glazer is talking about.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
As soon as I took notice of how McCarthy was bringing in his own guys by the bunches, I was on board with him. This team needed a sweeping change in the worst way. A decade of Garrett's "process" and his constantly repetitious mantra had long become old hat with most of us. Just imagine how it must have put the players to sleep in meetings. I'm sure some of them enjoyed the lack of accountability, as well. Now, they'll have to prove themselves.

I'm relieved as much for the change that was needed in the day to day meetings and practice as I am for the change that should occur on the field. I'd bet JG had lost the confidence of the players, long before they were about to admit it. It surely showed last season in their disinterested performances. A fresh approach should work out well with the players, both on and off the field.

Last edited:

Jack Burton

It's all in the reflexes.
Reaction score
I sent a letter to Jerry telling him not to hire a coach from college football. That he would not know what he’s getting. It’s too risky.

So it’s clear that he took my advice. I don’t know what Glazer is talking about.
Thank you Tommy. Good work.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
“Originally the Cowboys owners wanted a defensive coach because they wanted to keep the offensive staff,” Glazer said on Radio Row at the Super Bowl. “I’m like, don’t do that, guys. And I talk to the Joneses about it. I said don’t do that. You get yourself in trouble that way. Get a leader of men. Get a guy who’s going to formulate the attitude of your team. This is who you want.”

Wow, that's some serious Jedi mind crap right there. Glazer is so "convincing" he could talk a hooker into sex!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
This seems harmless. Glazer is doing his thing.

But then I start to think about how the Joneses talk about the "people they talk to" and I could actually see them taking his advice.

That is how little I respect the intellectual capacity of either one of them.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This seems harmless. Glazer is doing his thing.

But then I start to think about how the Joneses talk about the "people they talk to" and I could actually see them taking his advice.

That is how little I respect the intellectual capacity of either one of them.
As stubborn as Jerry is, you really think he changed his whole philosophy based on what Jay Glazer said?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Not sure why anyone would think the alleged approach by the hillbilly boys is so far fetched.

Its typical them....the offense is perfect and we have our future genius in Moore, so we just need someone to run the defense.

They fail to EVER see how things like that divide the players and creates confusion as far as authority.

I doubt Glazer would completely fabricate this, and even for those two idiots, this is shocking.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
f you’re a Dallas Cowboys fan satisfied with Mike McCarthy assuming the head-coaching position, be sure to thank Jay Glazer.

The well-connected NFL insider, who broke the news of McCarthy’s hiring, revealed to SB Nation that he played a part — a big part — in Dallas landing McCarthy. As the story goes, Jerry and Stephen Jones initially looked in an entirely different direction after firing offensive-minded Jason Garrett.

Then came the kibosh.

“Originally the Cowboys owners wanted a defensive coach because they wanted to keep the offensive staff,” Glazer said on Radio Row at the Super Bowl. “I’m like, don’t do that, guys. And I talk to the Joneses about it. I said don’t do that. You get yourself in trouble that way. Get a leader of men. Get a guy who’s going to formulate the attitude of your team. This is who you want.”

Reading between the lines, it appears the Cowboys may have been targeting Vikings HC Mike Zimmer, once the subject of swirling trade (yes, trade) speculation. However, Minnesota confirmed Zimmer’s return following their playoff loss to the eventual NFC-champion 49ers, forcing the Joneses to look elsewhere.

The Cowboys interviewed just two candidates — McCarthy and ex-Bengals HC Marvin Lewis, whose background is defense — before settling on the former. Jerry Jones dubbed the acquisition “fortuitous” due to McCarthy’s experience and resume, highlighted by a Super Bowl title.

“Yes, we needed Mike. We needed a coach. But to have his availability and to have his track record and ability to check all the boxes that I just talked about was fortuitous for this franchise,” he said, per NFL.com. “… And so while our time together initially talking about this job was meaningful, so much more went into how and why he’s sitting at this table today.”

At the time of his hiring, and from the outset, Glazer reported that McCarthy was the coach they wanted. Following a deep-dive into his background, McCarthy was the coach they needed.

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/01/ja...IUmm0_7UGnQpm5vH0cfs7JT1eMssw_vSCqvc2GuWOfQd0

Thats a fake.

I convinced JJ to sign MM.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Lol. Should MM fail. Watch how quick he'll take that back.