Recap: NFL: Jimmy Garappolo on Trey Lance’s future with Dak and what went wrong with 49ers

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
https://www.nfl.com/news/raiders-qb...lance-s-trade-to-cowboys-he-s-got-a-bright-**

….Niners head coach Kyle Shanahan recently said he thought he failed Lance in San Francisco. Garoppolo wasn't about to throw his former head coach under the bus, but did seem to suggest that Shanahan's rigid system might not be great for everyone. "I don't know how the whole thing shook out and everything," Garoppolo said. "While I was there, Kyle was gonna call the plays for you. You've just got to go up there and execute them to the best of your ability. "Trey's a brother of mine, man, so like I said before, I'm always pulling for him. I think he's got a bright future in this league. Dude's got talent. Just got to get him out there."…..……
….Still, Garoppolo isn't shedding tears for Prescott because he knows what competition has done for his game in the past. "There's always a younger guy trying to come in, and obviously the coaches want younger, cheaper players to do something that they think is better than you," Garoppolo said. "But that's what makes this league so great, man. It pushes you.….

glimmerman

Reaction score
So you mean the play caller calls the plays and your job is to execute them. Wow. And that’s his problem. Does he need to call his own plays to be successful. Let’s see what he has and how he fits in here.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
So you mean the play caller calls the plays and your job is to execute them. Wow. And that’s his problem. Does he need to call his own plays to be successful. Let’s see what he has and how he fits in here.
Does that "call plays" comment confuse you?

What he is trying to say is that Shanahan is very rigid. Just go out and do your job without a lot of teaching , patience, or coddling. Thats not going to go well with a kid like Lance that hasnt played much football.

Lance was a dumb choice for them from the beginning. The Niners have a WIN NOW team starting 3 or 4 years ago. There is ONLY a certain window. It was dumb to get a kid that needed so much time to develop. They actually tried to start the kid his rookie year. That's how impatience Shanahan was.

It was doomed to failure. WE can see from the quality of that surrounding cast that just about ANY QB can have success. The ONLY type that cant is a kid soo raw he has trouble understanding the game. THAT was Trey Lance.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Does that "call plays" comment confuse you?

What he is trying to say is that Shanahan is very rigid. Just go out and do your job without a lot of teaching , patience, or coddling. Thats not going to go well with a kid like Lance that hasnt played much football.

Lance was a dumb choice for them from the beginning. The Niners have a WIN NOW team starting 3 or 4 years ago. There is ONLY a certain window. It was dumb to get a kid that needed so much time to develop. They actually tried to start the kid his rookie year. That's how impatience Shanahan was.

It was doomed to failure. WE can see from the quality of that surrounding cast that just about ANY QB can have success. The ONLY type that cant is a kid soo raw he has trouble understanding the game. THAT was Trey Lance.
And how is that going to go over here. I guess we will keep him for the next 2 seasons and bring him along. Let Rush go and see what we have.

GMO415

Reaction score
This will probably go down as one of the best acquisitions since Charles Haley, when Dak is playing for Miami for $255 million.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
And how is that going to go over here. I guess we will keep him for the next 2 seasons and bring him along. Let Rush go and see what we have.
It couldnt be a more perfect scenario for everyone involved. I guess you cant see that?

-lance needs time, he has it here, no pressure
-We need a talented young kid to develop at QB and drafting one high avoids rocking the boat.
-Its like getting a first round pick talent wise and handing him 3 years to develop by using only a 4th rounder
-3 more years is probably when he would be ready and thats about when we should realistically start thinking about moving on from dak
-This could avoid holding onto Dak too long if he actually does develop
-He gets to learn behind a great leader like Dak and a smart #2 in Rush
-Rush is signed through next season and thats about when Lance could take over the #2 spot

I see no downside at all.

JustChip

Reaction score
I think the inference is that Shanahan’s play calling didn’t mesh with Lance’s skills and experience. Kind of like the criticism here of the Cowboys forcing Dak to be a pocket passer.

khiladi

Reaction score

Some OCs give flexibility to their QBs with plenty of options or ability to change plays at the line. I was just watching a video of Kellen Moore dissecting a play of Herbert in an interview and how Herbert made the adjustment at the line called his own play based on the look the defense was shoring and it’s something Moore loved.

I think that’s what JG may be referring to.

nobody

Reaction score
I hope it does light a fire under Prescott and the competition encourages him. I think that's the kind of guy he is. If it bothers him, it's a problem, but I don't think it will.