Recap: NFL: Jimmy Garappolo on Trey Lance’s future with Dak and what went wrong with 49ers

glimmerman

Reaction score
It couldnt be a more perfect scenario for everyone involved. I guess you cant see that?

-lance needs time, he has it here, no pressure
-We need a talented young kid to develop at QB and drafting one high avoids rocking the boat.
-Its like getting a first round pick talent wise and handing him 3 years to develop by using only a 4th rounder
-3 more years is probably when he would be ready and thats about when we should realistically start thinking about moving on from dak
-This could avoid holding onto Dak too long if he actually does develop
-He gets to learn behind a great leader like Dak and a smart #2 in Rush
-Rush is signed through next season and thats about when Lance could take over the #2 spot

I see no downside at all.
I want to see how he comes along. I was looking to see how niners saw enough to use the 3rd overall pick. I know there are a lot of busts. Apparently he only played 19 games in college. BUT he won all 19 games. Didn’t lose a game he started. Threw 30 TDs and some said 0 picks and some sites said 1 pick. At that time the college team he played for went 59 straight wins. So he was on a great team. But I see the upside they saw. Apparently he is a running QB. He will have time to get his passing game down. But when a QB goes 19-0 that’s nothing to sneeze at.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think the inference is that Shanahan’s play calling didn’t mesh with Lance’s skills and experience. Kind of like the criticism here of the Cowboys forcing Dak to be a pocket passer.
Yeah and Lance is a running QB.

CWR

Reaction score
Any hint on how high we had Purdy on our draft chart?

Ordinarily Jerry would say we "just missed" on him, but since he's the last pick in the draft Jerry can't lie. Would be terrific if he did though lol.

glimmerman

Reaction score
lol he was not on the dallas board
Wasn’t he a 7th round pick. I am not impressed by him. We gave him way too much respect in the playoff game. We should have been in his face the whole day but allowed him time to set back and make the few throws he needed to make to move the chains. We were busy trying to stop the run. He gets nervous when rushed and will make mistakes. Some were afraid of cousins but we treated him like a rag doll last year.

stuckindc

Reaction score
Wasn’t he a 7th round pick. I am not impressed by him. We gave him way too much respect in the playoff game. We should have been in his face the whole day but allowed him time to set back and make the few throws he needed to make to move the chains. We were busy trying to stop the run. He gets nervous when rushed and will make mistakes. Some were afraid of cousins but we treated him like a rag doll last year.
In the beginning of the game, I thought we were doing a good job of forcing him out of his comfort zones and making him uncomfortable so he couldn’t get in a rhythm. Micah just missed his arm on a rush that could have been a huge strip sack fumble situation. Once Pollard went down , it changed the entire complexion of the game Overall I throughly the defensive game plan was working

blueblood70

Reaction score
Cowboys shipped the OC and kept the QB
49ers shipped the QB and kept the OC
can we stop exaggerating like little drama Queens????!!!!​
You guys just are irritating that is not even close to the same thing and by the way lots of teams do change over at coaching when things are not clicking, and you need to change you're talking about a third string quarterback versus an offensive coordinator with their first string quarterback... All this dramatic responses about a third string quarterback that basically you switch out with will grier is ridiculous!!​
has nothing to do with the starting roster has nothing to do with this year it has no effect on anything except for we may have found a project to work on that could possibly a couple years down the road be a solid quarterback whether it be a number two or a starter like a bridge if you will to the next guy..​

Fans have gotten more and more frustrating to read to clueless and really ignorant responses that come out of some of the mouths when it comes to sports it it makes no sense it's comparison it's not even close it's not even on the same planet of being the same..

How about this for a reasonable comp if you want to talk about the teams the 49ers in the current front office and coaching staff gave up three first rounders for Trey Lance that should be a negative that is a bad bad bad bad move.. The Cowboys found their top ten quarterback in the fourth round and they found their top five quarterback the decade before that undrafted.

You want to compare those moves, I mean you literally don't make any sense because they're the ones the 49ers who made one of the dumbest draft day trades up for a player like this and yet they're getting off the hook because they just now got rid of them as if they should have got them in the first place??

yeah make that make sense say it out loud a few times...

blueblood70

Reaction score
lol he was not on the dallas board
let's just put that down for most people's boards they thought this kid was gonna be an undrafted free agent and maybe somebody would have been had to bid for his services this was not a crazy great move with great minds from the 49ers front office that they were gonna hit on this guy it was locked they tripped over him period end of story he wasn't on many people's boards...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Any hint on how high we had Purdy on our draft chart?
You do realize you're trying to give the 49ers credit for something named accidentally stumbled upon you pick a guy last in the draft and he looks decent so now you get credit for it no what you do is you get chastise for moving up three first round picks to get a guy like Trey Lance that is a monumental mistake it'll go down in the history as one of the worst moves ever and you wanna sit here and talk about their draft board the dude was probably not on many people's draft boards he was probably gonna be an undrafted free agent that was on some radar but no one had any expectations for Brock Purdy let's get that straight.. No let's go back to Brock Purdy if you think this guy has made it in the NFL maybe you ought to see the year that Brock Blake Bortles went to AFC championship game that's the type of team he had is what Brock has we need to see this year what he does in all 17 games because the league is on notice about him right now and he just came off that elbow injury and we're gonna find out who he really is because you gotta do it for more than 11 games to be considered anything the team was absolutely stacked so let's calm down on how good Brock Purdy is right now.. There are a lot of one hit wonders we can talk about like Nick Foles for instance and at least he won a Super Bowl that dude was no good anywhere else he's ever been he had two stints with the Eagles that looked really good but he's never been a good starter..

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Some OCs give flexibility to their QBs with plenty of options or ability to change plays at the line. I was just watching a video of Kellen Moore dissecting a play of Herbert in an interview and how Herbert made the adjustment at the line called his own play based on the look the defense was shoring and it’s something Moore loved.

I think that’s what JG may be referring to.
Doesn’t sound like Shanahan develops much. Sounds like more of a micro-manager. Less of a people person or psych buster like Parcells or Jimmy. A pick as raw as that, it was obvious he would have to do the Green Bay routine and sit and learn a few years before starting. Frankly, I am more worried they screwed him up with bad habits throwing him out on the field too early, more than I am him not having the talent.

Here is his quote on Wikipedia: “I studied every potential Xs and Os play and issue possible. I spent my whole life working on that. My goal was that any question a player could have about anything on the field, I'd be able to answer it.”

Obviously dedicated, smart and understands it the way Belichick does, but I also see that as a hard personality to sell and mentor. Robotic.

Two other things we lucked into — Lance doesn’t SEEM injury prone but maybe 2 bad luck injuries made the Niners feel that way and made him expandable. And of course, Purdy. Wouldn’t even be a trade if they hadn’t lucked into their own local Tom Brady situation. Lance is expendable and they have decided Purdy is the future.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I hope it does light a fire under Prescott and the competition encourages him. I think that's the kind of guy he is. If it bothers him, it's a problem, but I don't think it will.
Im sorry, but I cant disagree with your statement more than I do. You somehow think "Competition," will push him to get better?

So moving forward, what could Dak do this year, that he wasnt doing the last 3 season that would improve his game? Will he now spend more time in the film room? will he condition harder? Will he now make better, quicker, more decisive decisions because he has a young buck pushing him?

What could he possibly do better???? Please elaborate.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
I suspect that Shanahan's style just didn't mesh with the way Lance thinks and performs.

Possibly frustration on both sides where personality types don't match.

rocknrobcowboy

Reaction score
Purdy Is a One Hit Wonder..Defenses Coronators Now Have Tape On This Guy..

Trey Future Looks Brighter Than ( Pretty Purrty :lmao: )

nobody

Reaction score
Im sorry, but I cant disagree with your statement more than I do. You somehow think "Competition," will push him to get better?

So moving forward, what could Dak do this year, that he wasnt doing the last 3 season that would improve his game? Will he now spend more time in the film room? will he condition harder? Will he now make better, quicker, more decisive decisions because he has a young buck pushing him?

What could he possibly do better???? Please elaborate.
Players can subconsciously get complacent. Even players themselves state that competition helps push them to get better. You can disagree all that you want but they state it themselves all of the time.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Players can subconsciously get complacent. Even players themselves state that competition helps push them to get better. You can disagree all that you want but they state it themselves all of the time.
lol.....You ever see... what was it called, Major League? You see the scene where Costner shows the minor league kid how to handle the press? he talks about taking it one day at a time, and blah blah blah.

So what do you think a player is supposed to say? nah, I need the team to get rid of any threat to my position. I dont like it....lol.

I bet you would hear them also say how they love training camp. All said to make people feel better.

Just like Shanahan talking about how talented Lance is. So talented that tey kicked his butt to the curb for a bag of popcorn and a six pack of soda.

nobody

Reaction score
lol.....You ever see... what was it called, Major League? You see the scene where Costner shows the minor league kid how to handle the press? he talks about taking it one day at a time, and blah blah blah.

So what do you think a player is supposed to say? nah, I need the team to get rid of any threat to my position. I dont like it....lol.

I bet you would hear them also say how they love training camp. All said to make people feel better.

Just like Shanahan talking about how talented Lance is. So talented that tey kicked his butt to the curb for a bag of popcorn and a six pack of soda.
You do you, man. If Dak feels threatened and is insecure, that's on him to pull up his pants and be a big boy. He has a job to do as QB1 in any case. Teams should always be looking for competent backups and eventual replacements no matter who it is.

Anyone who thinks they shouldn't with QB because it might threaten Dak in some way is simply not a Cowboys fan but a Dak fan. He's QB1 and rightfully so, but the team should always be looking to develop someone else too.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
You do you, man. If Dak feels threatened and is insecure, that's on him to pull up his pants and be a big boy. He has a job to do as QB1 in any case. Teams should always be looking for competent backups and eventual replacements no matter who it is.

Anyone who thinks they shouldn't with QB because it might threaten Dak in some way is simply not a Cowboys fan but a Dak fan. He's QB1 and rightfully so, but the team should always be looking to develop someone else too.
wth are you talking about? Youve clearly never paid attention to any of my posts. Anyone familiar with me knows i am no Dak fan.

Let me say this again. Lance was not brought in to light any "Fire," or to "Push," Dak. When the Cowboys do a 4 year180+ million extension for Dak with a crap load of upfront money this year.... you will know where Lance stands.