News: NFL: Mike McCarthy on Earl Thomas: Cowboys 'very confident' in current roster

cowboyed

Reaction score
If they’re worried about what he’d do to team chemistry... they’re not going to do it.

They are are probably more worried that Earl and his brother Seth will recruit players for their next big orgy and also make them bring a pallet of Crisco.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
It seems ET really wanted to be in Dallas/finish his career here. I think if he has a chance to play for The Boys he will shape up and not be an issue. Of course this is pure speculation from my view, but, I think it's worth the chance. Sounds like our other safety is Darian Thompson. As a Boise State fan, I loved him during his collegiate career, but, I'm not that much of a homer to think he could possible shore up our defense. Great ST guy and backup but I take ET all day every day starting.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Sounds like that's it exactly. Big gulf between what the Cowboys will pay and what Thomas wants. Hopefully they won't meet in the middle.

A malcontent coming in on a contract lower than he thinks he deserves is not a recipe for success.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Thomas hit his peak 3/4 years ago. Pass.

And yet is still 3 times better than what they have. The risk is worth it. Safety is the weak spot of the whole team and will be the area other teams attack. ET can help fix that.

blueblood70

Reaction score
That sounds like a yes to me. Lol
IF the numbers are right, sure..thats why you wait to talk about it..i mean how many reports that the DC and dak were close in 2019 and 2020 about 36 times and it never happened,,id rather curb the talk and find out when it happens, like its Xmas..

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
All comes down to money. If cheap, sure. If not, nope.

Thomas doesn't have a lot of leverage.
Money is not all that matters. Being released from the Ravens over conduct issues is a huge red flag the Cowboys will want more details about before they sign him.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
And yet is still 3 times better than what they have. The risk is worth it. Safety is the weak spot of the whole team and will be the area other teams attack. ET can help fix that.

He can also destroy a locker room. If MM isn't on board and is confident with the roster he has, we need to roll with that. Otherwise, you can let Jerry make all the football decisions like he's been doing for the last 25 years. Just sayin'

Cowboys22

Reaction score
He can also destroy a locker room. If MM isn't on board and is confident with the roster he has, we need to roll with that. Otherwise, you can let Jerry make all the football decisions like he's been doing for the last 25 years. Just sayin'

whatever deal he would get would have to be one that allows the team to cut him easily if he starts any of his crap. He should be long gone before he gets anywhere close to destroying the lockeroom. He represents the only option to significantly improve the team’s biggest weakness. If he will take a Griffin like deal, it’s a no brainer. Yes there’s risk involved. If there want any, he wouldn’t be available.

bewp7

Reaction score
mccarthy dealed with aaron rodgers for a decade i think he could handle earl thomas

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
whatever deal he would get would have to be one that allows the team to cut him easily if he starts any of his crap. He should be long gone before he gets anywhere close to destroying the lockeroom. He represents the only option to significantly improve the team’s biggest weakness. If he will take a Griffin like deal, it’s a no brainer. Yes there’s risk involved. If there want any, he wouldn’t be available.

I see your point and have said many of the same things. My main issue is that if MM isn't on board with it, Jerry would be publicly neutering him and we're back to having a HC that nobody is going to respect because they can just go to Jerry. If MM is on board and if it's for a cheap price and language in the contract that we could get out of if he acts up, I'd be ok with it. Otherwise, I'm out.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I see your point and have said many of the same things. My main issue is that if MM isn't on board with it, Jerry would be publicly neutering him and we're back to having a HC that nobody is going to respect because they can just go to Jerry. If MM is on board and if it's for a cheap price and language in the contract that we could get out of if he acts up, I'd be ok with it. Otherwise, I'm out.

I think everyone would agree with that. If MM really doesn’t want him then I wouldn’t want Jerry doing it anyway. I just can’t see MM not wanting to add him to fix the one weak spot especially if it can be done in such a way that allows you to cut ties if he really proves to be more trouble than it’s worth. Something just tells me he wouldn’t screw it up in Dallas.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
As confident as they are, safety is our biggest place due for an upgrade, with center a close second (granted they have a potential replacement already on the roster at center).

ET is not too old, they said the same thing about Rodney Harrison when he went to NE at 31. If he can get his head on right I’d sign him to a team friendly deal in a heartbeat.

Big_D

Reaction score
Stay the course Mike. You don't need him or the headache.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Lol!! Sure. C'mon man, this isn't Jr. Hi.
Come on coach. You should know better than anyone how important the locker room chemistry is. Or maybe in High School it wasn’t as important. After thinking about it, I could see that it’s not as important in High School.

Cebrin

Reaction score
IF he's going to be an *** in the locker room, I don't want him. Team chemistry is huge in the NFL.
From what I've seen in camp, and interviews, these guys are vibing well. No reason to mess that up on a guy that is obviously in a bad place right now. I hope the best for him. All of our ____ stinks.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Come on coach. You should know better than anyone how important the locker room chemistry is. Or maybe in High School it wasn’t as important. After thinking about it, I could see that it’s not as important in High School.
Lots of different personalities in locker rooms. If they are mature enough to leave it on the field, it doesn't matter.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

I totally disagree. Guy is acting very strange. Who needs that on a team?

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Incentive type deal I’d be ok with. You do that because then you can cut him. personally I think he’d be motivated to come home.

Remember this is a guy a lot of us were willing to
Give up picks for a year or two ago.

Even if he has slowed up a bit he has an incredible football IQ that can help compensate for that.