News: NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year power rankings -- Week 4

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There's a really good clipping out there that shows how much of Wentz's passing has been unimpressive dump offs, which ironically is what Dak is criticized for.

Wentz throws a screen on just over 25 percent of passes, and 40-50 percent of his completions are under 5 yards and are his first read.

To add, I've noticed that Wentz only reads half the field most plays. He has two shallow receiving options and he usually just bumps over to the second.

The biggest knock on Wentz coming out was his work with his progressions, and we really haven't seen him have to deal with that so much yet.

screen-shot-2016-09-28-at-9-06-16-am.jpg

I watched the guy play and I had no idea he's thrown so many screens. That seems like a alarming rate of first read completions......what happens when you take away his 1st read?

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score

I watched the guy play and I had no idea he's thrown so many screens. That seems like a alarming rate of first read completions......what happens when you take away his 1st read?

That was the biggest concern for him coming out of college.

He wasn't able to remain disciplined mechanically or with his decisions making when the first read wasn't there.

What they don't chart is how many of those second reads are on the same side of the field in the same vicinity as the first. When you watch his tape you can see his eyes start from the inside option and work their way to the wide option on a lot of plays.

I'm not saying he can't be a great player, but he just isn't as advanced as all the media hype wants you to believe.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Ya gotta put Wentz at #1, because of the statistical advantage he's got, but I genuinely think what Dak has done is more impressive so far.

Then again, I don't think what Elliott has done is all that impressive. He's pretty much just taken what was there.

Sweet, maybe we can disrespect him all the way to an 1,800 yard season like so many did with Murray (not saying you did, Idgit). Elliot eats up ten-yard runs like they're nothing. He hasn't busted out any 50-yard runs yet but boy, is he close.

Incidentally, my IPad's spell checker keeps changing your username to Digit. I'm about to give it a forearm shiver. LOL.

dfense

Reaction score
There's a really good clipping out there that shows how much of Wentz's passing has been unimpressive dump offs, which ironically is what Dak is criticized for.

Wentz throws a screen on just over 25 percent of passes, and 40-50 percent of his completions are under 5 yards and are his first read.

To add, I've noticed that Wentz only reads half the field most plays. He has two shallow receiving options and he usually just bumps over to the second.

The biggest knock on Wentz coming out was his work with his progressions, and we really haven't seen him have to deal with that so much yet.
If that's true, future opponents are going to have tape on that and clamp down on that stuff.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
I was listening to the 103.5 station yesterday.
More than half of the passes Wentz throws are behind line of scrimmage.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Sweet, maybe we can disrespect him all the way to an 1,800 yard season like so many did with Murray (not saying you did, Idgit). Elliot eats up ten-yard runs like they're nothing. He hasn't busted out any 50-yard runs yet but boy, is he close.

Incidentally, my IPad's spell checker keeps changing your username to Digit. I'm about to give it a forearm shiver. LOL.
Don't look now, but old man Murray is looking pretty good this year himself.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
The way some people talk about Myles Jack, you'd think he would be on top of the list.

Myles Jack has been warming the bench for 3 games. Played a total of 16 snaps in mop up duty and special teams so far this year for the 0-3 Jags. Granted, he would have probably played more snaps for the Cowboys if they would have chosen him in round 2. But, Jack doesn't seem to be all that through 3 games. Maybe the Cowboys got it right with LB Smith in the second round over Jack.

I think one of the critiques of Jack before the draft was 'where do you put him?' No really a LB, not really a safety.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Myles Jack has been warming the bench for 3 games. Played a total of 16 snaps in mop up duty and special teams so far this year for the 0-3 Jags. Granted, he would have probably played more snaps for the Cowboys if they would have chosen him in round 2. But, Jack doesn't seem to be all that through 3 games. Maybe the Cowboys got it right with LB Smith in the second round over Jack.

I think one of the critiques of Jack before the draft was 'where do you put him?' No really a LB, not really a safety.
I haven't seen a link for defensive players.

But I would assume after three games the top contenders are

DE Deforest Buckner, SF
LB Su'a Cravens, Was
FS Karl Joseph, Oak
CB Jalen Ramsey, Jax
DE Kevin Dodd, Tenn
DE Carl Nassib, Cle

I'm sure I left some out, but what stands out to me is that our area of greatest need , defensive end, looks to have had a nice rookie crop.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NFCE has the top four candidates so far.

I wish Dak had a coach that could tailor a game plan for him like Wentz has.
Have you watched even a minute of the Cowboys this season? The game plans have been completely designed around Dak, capitalizing on his strengths, avoiding the things he's not ready for.

aikemirv

Reaction score

I watch Philly a little bit and I must have seen all the passes over 15 yards!

This is surprising to me.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I watch Philly a little bit and I must have seen all the passes over 15 yards!

This is surprising to me.
Me too. It's rather alarming. I've been of the belief that Wentz has been better than Dak but this makes the argument look debatable at the very least.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I think it's Wentz's to lose... but he's an Eagle so that's quite likely. The fact that Cowboys supporters will be splitting the vote doesn't help much either.

Wentz and zeke have a better chance than Dak because of tony coming back

wrongway

Reaction score
Yeah, I haven't seen any of his games, actually. Only the cutups for all of his passing attempts for each game. It's pretty obvious when you watch them all laid out what they're doing with him.

Hey, they're having success with it, so I'm not knocking it too hard, but it hardly makes him elite yet. Except when he does throw it downfield and his mechanics aren't off, because, man, he has beautiful balls. The dude has Weeden balls. They're that beautiful.

Dak's more impressive in terms of his progressions and his ball handling. Though he doesn't have the huge arm. Both these guys are probably going to be good for a long time.
In my best Beavis and butt head voice, you said he has beautiful balls. They're that beautiful. Sorry I will return to being an adult now. Couldn't pass it up. Agree with the rest though.

RedLine

Reaction score
Don't look now, but old man Murray is looking pretty good this year himself.

That's ok, he plays for the Titans now so I can root for him again. I really liked him as a Cowboy, but with the Eagles I was cursing that boy!

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Ya gotta put Wentz at #1, because of the statistical advantage he's got, but I genuinely think what Dak has done is more impressive so far.

Then again, I don't think what Elliott has done is all that impressive. He's pretty much just taken what was there.
He has taken some of what is there. While leaving a few biscuits behind.