NFL owners pass rule to place ball at 25 following fair catches on kickoffs

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
My preference is to not try to catch it if you're fielding it close to the goal line.
That said, how about 5 yds further than where you fair catch it - with a maximum of the 20 yard line for ball placement.

Honestly, I like what the CFL does where any kick that goes into the endzone and isn't returned is a single or a rouge. If they're going to do this, then they should award a point to the kicking team for forcing a fair catch. That might make teams think twice before calling fair catch on a kickoff.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
That’s a bit dramatic but player safety is important to the league and should be
Players know the risks. They are informed and can choose to not participate in a dangerous occupation.

It is getting ridiculous at this point. Either ban the sport or let guys choose to take the risks as informed adults.

There are lots of jobs and activities that aren't safe. Should we outlaw skydiving? People sometimes get killed doing that. How about bicycle riding? People get head injuries doing that.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Sidenote, for those wondering, this is an average play right after the ref bounces the ball off the ground to start an Aussie Rules game (been getting into it lately, I like the Brisbane Lions):

dc6e728bd895301cc21aa852e94fd131d4a1afda

Toro9

Reaction score
Probably won't see many players doing it but I guess it's good for safety on a high short kick, should the kicking team feel a need to do that.