Twitter: NFL planning on proceeding w/ season, schedule to come May 9

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Man. If they cancel the NFL season I'm gonna be on suicide alert!! :facepalm: I thought for sure this was going to be a great season for all my teams. Lakers, Reds and Cowboys. But in the big picture I guess these are just very small bumps. Stay safe-fellow forum fans.:thumbup:

Them

Reaction score
...Hope it happens!...Can you imagine how many "dying for any kind" of sport fans will be watching!....:popcorn:

HungryLion

Reaction score
I can't see this happening at all. I just don't think there is a situation where we are still at a place where people are not allowed to be in large groups but leagues will allow players to breathe, sweat, and bleed on each other. If the virus is still a hazard such that fans cannot go to games, how in the world could the NFL justify letting the players be at risk? I just cant see that happening.

You don’t see the increased risk from having like 200 people gather versus 70-80 thousand?

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Man. If they cancel the NFL season I'm gonna be on suicide alert!! :facepalm: I thought for sure this was going to be a great season for all my teams. Lakers, Reds and Cowboys. But in the big picture I guess these are just very small bumps. Stay safe-fellow forum fans.:thumbup:

Go reds! Was looking forward to the season to see what we had.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Seems great to even think about. Hopefully, we'll be treated to the start of a new season, as planned. That'd be a thrill for the entire USA! :starspin:

csirl

Reaction score
They know that the season likely will be disrupted and will have several contingency plans for different scenarios. One thing the NFL is good at is contingency - they handle rescheduled/moved venue games better than any other sport. They even played during the last players strike in '87.

Waiting until May buys valuable time and the situation will be clearer by then.

Right now they do not need to say anything other than they are planning to start on time. It doesnt mean they arent prepared.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I have a hard time seeing crowds being allowed early in September, though I guess they might play games with essential staff or whatever only.
one way to do it but very tricky is in a stream like environment simulating stadium where fan still there and you can see them but virtual

Cowboys22

Reaction score
You don’t see the increased risk from having like 200 people gather versus 70-80 thousand?

That’s not the point. It’s the close physical contact it takes the play football. How could the NFL just disregard the risk to their players and make them play? I bet most players would say no anyway if the virus is still a threat.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
I think by May and definitely by August/September you can start figuring out places that teams in all sports could play in front of empty arenas because testing is getting better each week especially among private labs. Look at the NBA. It seems every team was able to test its players within a week and that’s when not many were available.

I think teams like the Giants/Jets might have to relocate ala the Saints for the year because it’s hard to see when NYC would be deemed safe for anything including even practicing. It’s just not safe to leave the house up there.

In most locations by summer I’d think they could have business as normal except for large gatherings.

The key is if they can find a proven treatment which every lab in the world is trying to figure out. Someone’s going to hit on it given enough time.

HungryLion

Reaction score
That’s not the point. It’s the close physical contact it takes the play football. How could the NFL just disregard the risk to their players and make them play? I bet most players would say no anyway if the virus is still a threat.

How does wal mart and every other “essential” business still have employees working right now?

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
i think that not only will there be no nfl season I think that the money from tv contracts and the terrible effect this is going to hav e on the economy is going to have a huge effect on salaries I think the days of huge salaries may be a thing of the past

Cowboys22

Reaction score
How does wal mart and every other “essential” business still have employees working right now?

Are they wresting around in the isles as part of their job? Are they physically touching each other? Are they sweating and bleeding on each other? Once you figure out the answer to those questions, maybe then you’ll understand the difference.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Can you imagine a fall/winter without football? My goodness the depression.

Would be similar to a strike season but at least football returned those seasons. This situation could kill the entire 2020 season.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Fine by me. Im still going to work, still getting food from take out, still using dirty gas pumps while the other side tells me it's serious. I've always kept hand sanitizer with me before all this. One side says bad, but the actions everywhere else suggests otherwise. Until half measures are gone I'd say keep the nfl games going.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think by May and definitely by August/September you can start figuring out places that teams in all sports could play in front of empty arenas because testing is getting better each week especially among private labs.

If we’re still at the point where they can’t put fans in the stands and social distancing is still being enforced they’re not going to play. You can’t put a team together in a locker room or on a field with this going on. Football is a contact sport and you can’t have any contact with this situation. Even if things were to improve in the next few months the league will likely error on the side of caution and cancel the season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
All sporting events are being either postponed or canceled. You can only postpone a football season for so long before you have to cancel it. Football teams have to have an adequate time to prepare. You can’t just have a couple of practices and start a season with a contact sport. Nothing is normal right now. The players aren’t having physicals and the draft has been altered. Everyone is stuck at home even those reporting on the NFL. It’s still 6 months until the season opener but it’s not like this situation is improving. Once it does improve we can’t relax or it will pick up again. It has to be completely contained or we’ll endure a second wave of it in the fall.