NFL Proposes Games Abroad

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Updated: May 27, 2006, 3:23 PM ET
NFL proposes playing regular-season games abroad

Associated Press

DUESSELDORF, Germany -- The NFL has proposed playing two regular-season games outside the United States starting in 2008, league officials said Saturday.

Mark Waller, head of NFL international development, said the proposal to play abroad was put to team owners Tuesday in Denver. It came after the 49ers and Cardinals played last October before a regular season-record crowd of 103,000 in Mexico City.

The owners will discuss the issue again in October. The games would be played in Mexico, Canada, the United Kingdom and Germany, where five of the six NFL Europe teams play.

"I will say the reception we got from the owners was incredibly positive -- all the questions were on the practical issues," Waller said.

Plans were also announced to add two more teams to the six playing in NFL Europe by 2010. Last year, owners gave the league a five-year operating license -- ending years of threatening to pull the plug on the operation because of the cost.

"It now gives us a platform to grow the game internationally with a concept of clarity," Waller said.

Outgoing commissioner Paul Tagliabue said developing the game internationally may rank as one of his top five accomplishments during his 16 years in charge.

"I feel the international initiatives we made, along with the owners, may become more significant over time," Tagliabue said.

The league's effort to make an impact internationally began in 1986, when NFL teams began to play preseason games overseas.

The German cities of Hanover and Leipzig are the leading candidates to get NFL Europe expansion clubs as the league concentrates on Germany. The Amsterdam Admirals are the only current NFL Europe team located outside Germany.

NFL Europe would then be split into two four-team divisions with the schedule expanded from 10 to 12 games. The league hopes to develop local stars for NFL Europe, as well as international stars in the NFL.

"It's clearly critical to the future of the game internationally," said Jim Connelly, managing director of NFL Europe.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
Boy I wouldn't want to be one of the teams involved, especially with a trip to Europe. Also does someone have to give up a home game to play at a neutral site? If so, yuk.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The NFL's mission to replace soccer as the world's most popular team sport continues.

Yeah, it may be a pipe dream, but a guy can only hope. :)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Screw The Hall said:
Boy I wouldn't want to be one of the teams involved, especially with a trip to Europe. Also does someone have to give up a home game to play at a neutral site? If so, yuk.
You know the Cowboys would be one of the first teams shipped over. Ratings.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
Hostile said:

Exactly what I was thinking.

I don't know I guess I'd have to hear all the particulars 1st, but my initial reaction is thanks but no thanks.

acheman

Reaction score
I HATE this proposal. Screw the rest of the world, let them keep their soccer.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Screw The Hall said:
And what time will the kickoffs be? If the times don't change, I won't mind seeing fans in Germany losing sleep. I gotta watch football AND go to work you know. :rolleyes:

acheman

Reaction score
Let me think it over.......
........To paraphrase Doc Holliday (Val Kilmer) in Tombstone "No I definitley HATE it".

rojan

Reaction score
Hostile said:

Bring the Cowboys to Canada so I can finally see a game.

SupermanXx

Benched
Reaction score
I think this idea is completely stupid

I don't want to see my Cowboys being cheered on by little german boys in short shorts and sailor hats saying "ZE TOUCHDOWN!!! YA YA YA YA YA YA YA!!""

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Years ago Dallas did a pre season game in Mexico City against the Broncos. If I remember right there were well over 100,000 fans and most of them rooting for the Vaqueros (Cowboys) even though Denver had a National player.

I enjoyed that game. I'll openly admit, I'd like this idea forone reason and one reason only. I think the Cowboys are the favorite team abroad and I'd love to see stadiums full of Cowboys fans and people having to recognize them for it.

The Realist

Reaction score
Jerry was all over this idea in an interview a while back.

He was talking up Wimbley (sp.) stadium.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
If we're going to play a regular season game overseas, I propose that we play the Giants -- in what would have been their home game.

That's only fair.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
I hate the idea of having regular season games abroad or in Mexico or Canada.

However, preseason games ... That would make more sense.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
If we're going to play a regular season game overseas, I propose that we play the Giants -- in what would have been their home game.

That's only fair.

Silly Adam, remember the Giants had NO advantage whatsoever from playing an extra home game last year ;)

rgcowboys

Reaction score
I am against this. Taking a teams home game away from them is a crime. Also what about season ticket holders, do they get money back? Have every team play a preseason game abroad would be fine. Maybe the NFL is going to have a Superbowl abroad.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Not only that, the schedules would have to be seriously accomodated. An extra bye week would almost have to be certain. I think international promotion needs to be kept at the pre-season level for right now. Not to mention the fact, the the world (outside of America) is not the safest place for dozens of high profile Americans to be at the moment.

Some may disagree, but a terrorist group would love nothing more than to blow up a bus with "America's Team" or the "Patriots" in tow. JMHO.

SS

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Having made the trip to Europe many times over the past few years, I have to say they should use caution. The jet lag thing is really rough and getting there a few days in advance simply doesn't cut it. I really hate the idea, you also take away a home game from the team involved.