NFL Rumors & Notes by Ben Maller 02/13/06...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
A few more... some are the same as Doomsday101's post and a few are different...

NFL Rumors & Notes

Monday, February 13, 2006

Speculation has surfaced that the Bengals would consider trading Chad Johnson, but those rumors border on the absurd. With teammate Chris Henry facing a fine and suspension after two arrests, dealing Johnson to another club is out of the question.

The Arizona Cardinals and Carolina Panthers already are rumored to be interested in Shaun Alexander. Neither team can officially express that, or they face tampering sanctions from the NFL. But nothing can stop players from talking. "I never really thought I could be with another team," Alexander said. "But it was neat to be with the Carolina guys." The Panthers' coaching staff and four players took part in the Pro Bowl. Alexander also said he hopes the Seahawks "come correct" with their contract offer. "If not, then we're going to play the field," he said. "I'm prepared to go off somewhere else."

Antwaan Randle El, who is a free agent and a hot commodity, said he is asking God whether he should stay with the Steelers or go to another NFL team. "I am not sure if this is where God wants me to continue to be or if he wants me to go elsewhere," he said. "I just have to keep praying about it."

Don't be surprised if QB Kerry Collins surfaces in Baltimore. His former coach with the New York Giants, Jim Fassell, a Ravens assistant, loves him. After all, they went to the Super Bowl together (2000 season). A QB controversy featuring Collins and Kyle Boller would be fun to watch.

Browns TE Kellen Winslow and wide receiver Braylon Edwards remain on the road to recovery. Winslow is bigger and stronger than he was before his devastating motorcycle crash. The Browns hope Winslow will be ready by training camp in July. Edwards is expected to return around Oct. 1, but the club is optimistic about Edwards being ready for the opener.

Jets' head coach Eric Mangini continued to add to his staff of assistants yesterday,agreeing to terms with former NFL linebacker Bryan Cox and University of Michigan defensive coordinator Jim Herrmann. The 37-year-old Cox, who played with the Jets from 1998 through 2000, is expected to assist defensive line coach Denny Marcin with the line and Herrmann is expected to become the linebackers coach, replacing Bob Sutton, who's the new defensive coordinator.

Internet rumors have floated that the Broncos are shopping receiver Ashley Lelie, who is in the final season of his contract. Those rumors are false, Shanahan said. "Of course they are not true, of course," Mike Shanahan said. "This is the time of year all kinds of crazy things are said."

The group urging the NFL to improve diversity at the coaching and general manager level is disappointed despite the Raiders hiring Art Shell.

Did You Know? Each of the six quarterbacks who played in the Pro Bowl had at least one turnover. In addition to Peyton Manning's 3 interceptions, Kansas City's Trent Green, Seattle's Matt Hasselbeck and Atlanta's Michael Vick each had an interception. McNair and Carolina's Jake Delhomme lost fumbles.

Bears defensive lineman Terry "Tank" Johnson was arrested for the second time in eight months early Sunday morning and charged with aggravated assault and resisting arrest, both misdemeanors.

Look for the Pittsburgh Steelers to re-sign Charlie Batch as their backup QB and release Tommy Maddox, whose $1.1 million salary is too big a cap burden for the club to absorb for a washed-up third stringer.

Art Shell's first order of business as Oakland Raiders head coach will likely be to kick QB Kerry Collins to the curb.

Who Knew? Many people think Steelers WR Antwaan Randle El is Muslim, because his last name is from the Muslim tradition, but he was raised in the Pentecostal tradition of Christianity.

Steelers WR Antwaan Randle El talked about another custom practiced by about a dozen team members in the week before the Super Bowl and throughout the championship season: a weekly Bible study. "We take 20 or 30 minutes and give time to God," Mr. Randle El told an overflow crowd yesterday at South Hills Bible Chapel in Peters. "The Bible is the game plan of life," he said. He said the team's mid-week Bible study was new this season, but praying together before a big game is a common practice for a core group of Christian Steelers. While some of his teammates were in Hawaii yesterday, playing in the Pro Bowl, Mr. Randle El was in the Peters church fulfilling a commitment he made months before the Steelers won the Super Bowl.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
If their so quick to get rid of Collins in OAK, who's gonna be their QB?
Tuiasosopo?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Tuiasosopo?
What pick do they have? They should be able to draft one of the top qb's.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
They should have a shot at Leinert, Young or Cutler.
I could see Al trading up to take Vince Young or staying put and taking Cutler.

I'd bet the Lions, Cardinals, and Browns are all watching his pick closely.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I could see Al trading up to take Vince Young or staying put and taking Cutler.

I'd be the Lions, Cardinals, and Browns are all watching his pick closely.

Why do you think the Browns would be watching closely. I'm curious.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jackrussell said:
Why do you think the Browns would be watching closely. I'm curious.
I think they are the 3 other teams near the top of the Draft who might look QB if one of them falls. The Browns might not if they like Charlie Frye, but it wouldn't shock me.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
I really don't think Vince Young is ready to play at the NFL level... Reminds me of Tommy Frazier from Nebraskak, but with a better arm and terrible mechanics. He's a perfect fit in Oakland.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
GoinForSix said:
I really don't think Vince Young is ready to play at the NFL level... Reminds me of Tommy Frazier from Nebraskak, but with a better arm and terrible mechanics. He's a perfect fit in Oakland.
So your saying if Vince Young didn't have any talent then he would be Tommy Frazier?:lmao:

Young is a lot closer to McNabb and Randall Cuningham than he is to a guy that isn't an nfl caliber player.:lmao2:

DLK150

The Quiet Man
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Tuiasosopo?

They drafted Andrew Walter last year, I believe in the 3rd round. Collins is due something like $8M.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
the DoNkEy PuNcH said:
There's always the Culpepper to Moss rumor...
If Minny lets Culpepper walk Miami is going to jump all over him so fast heads will spin.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
So your saying if Vince Young didn't have any talent then he would be Tommy Frazier?:lmao:

Young is a lot closer to McNabb and Randall Cuningham than he is to a guy that isn't an nfl caliber player.:lmao2:

Cunningham = couldnt close the deal
McNabb = cant close the deal - and wont!
Young = projecting that he wont be able to close the deal?

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
trickblue said:
Steelers WR Antwaan Randle El talked about another custom practiced by about a dozen team members in the week before the Super Bowl and throughout the championship season: a weekly Bible study. "We take 20 or 30 minutes and give time to God," Mr. Randle El told an overflow crowd yesterday at South Hills Bible Chapel in Peters. "The Bible is the game plan of life," he said. He said the team's mid-week Bible study was new this season, but praying together before a big game is a common practice for a core group of Christian Steelers. While some of his teammates were in Hawaii yesterday, playing in the Pro Bowl, Mr. Randle El was in the Peters church fulfilling a commitment he made months before the Steelers won the Super Bowl.

[/INDENT]
While I am glad to read stories like this, the media acts like the Steelers are the only team ever to have players practice Christianity or have players pray before games :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I had to hear a lot about this prior to the Super Bowl from Steeler fans at church.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
DLK150 said:
They drafted Andrew Walter last year, I believe in the 3rd round. Collins is due something like $8M.

I like Walter. I thought he was the best passing QB coming out last year. I would like to trade for that guy.

Apollo Creed

Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:

Exactly... I really don't think Vince Young is going to be a legit NFL QB. Kinda like Frazier ended up... Just with a much higher draft position.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
YoMick said:
Cunningham = couldnt close the deal
McNabb = cant close the deal - and wont!
Young = projecting that he wont be able to close the deal?
Young closed pretty good in the last 2 Rose Bowls.

Neither Cunningham nor McNabb did that.

Young reminded me of the guy who looked so good for the Naval Academy in the Cotton Bowl. Ok well not me but the old timers, lol.

BTW Roger was on 1310 AM today and stated he really, really liked Vince Young because a big part of today's game was about buying time and pointed to how Ben R bought time on that long heave to Hines Ward.

Apollo Creed

Reaction score
Donovan McNabb, Daunte Culpepper, Aaron Brooks, Randall Cunningham, Michael Vick, etc. etc. (any mobile QB) How many Super Bowl rings they have?