NFL Rumors & Notes by Ben Maller 02/13/06...

BlueWave

Reaction score
GoinForSix said:
Donovan McNabb, Daunte Culpepper, Aaron Brooks, Randall Cunningham, Michael Vick, etc. etc. (any mobile QB) How many Super Bowl rings they have?

There hasn't been a so-called mobile QB that has ever won a SuperBowl.

Hiero

Reaction score
they already have Walter who will probably start. may draft a QB.

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
BlueWave said:

Um... Steve Young: pretty damn mobile

Brett Favre: pretty mobile, too.

Tom Brady: mobile.

Roger the Dodger: mobile.

They may not be mobile like Cunningham or Vick, but they could move if they had to. All of them could run.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister said:
They should have a shot at Leinert, Young or Cutler.

I doubt they'll have a shot at Leinart.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
If their so quick to get rid of Collins in OAK, who's gonna be their QB?
Tuiasosopo?

Actually Qwick, I think the Raiders like their young QB, Andrew Walter out of Arizona State.

From what I heard in the pre-season and even the regular season they were excited about his potential. Huge guy, 6'5", who moves pretty well and has a nice arm. Was a great passer in college. I liked him at ASU and was hoping we would take a shot at him, but the Raiders used a 3rd round pick on him.

kartr

Reaction score
YoMick said:
Cunningham = couldnt close the deal
McNabb = cant close the deal - and wont!
Young = projecting that he wont be able to close the deal?

Cunningham didn't have a good supporting cast in Philly and didn't have a good defense in Minny. McNabb has little to work with in Philly and came much closer to closing the deal than Peyton has. How do you know what Young will do, do you have some special insights that the rest of us don't have?

kartr

Reaction score
GoinForSix said:
Donovan McNabb, Daunte Culpepper, Aaron Brooks, Randall Cunningham, Michael Vick, etc. etc. (any mobile QB) How many Super Bowl rings they have?

The same amount of rings that Dan Fouts,Dan Marino,Kerry Collins,Peyton Manning and Drew Bledsoe has.

kartr

Reaction score
BlueWave said:

Perhaps you've never heard of Roger Staubach,Terry Bradshaw,Joe Montana,Jim Plunkett,John Elway or Steve Young.
:laugh2:

kartr

Reaction score
jterrell said:
Young closed pretty good in the last 2 Rose Bowls.

Neither Cunningham nor McNabb did that.

Young reminded me of the guy who looked so good for the Naval Academy in the Cotton Bowl. Ok well not me but the old timers, lol.

BTW Roger was on 1310 AM today and stated he really, really liked Vince Young because a big part of today's game was about buying time and pointed to how Ben R bought time on that long heave to Hines Ward.

Roger is the reason I've always favored mobile qb's. He was to me indeed, Captain America, a guy who put a team on his back and take them to victory. That's why it's so puzzling to me how so many here who claim to be Cowboy fans hate mobile qb's.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
kartr said:
Perhaps you've never heard of Roger Staubach,Terry Bradshaw,Joe Montana,Jim Plunkett,John Elway or Steve Young.
:laugh2:

And each could kill you from the pocket, other mobile QB teams force them to throw from the pocket and many can't. The ability to run is an assest but not the most important assest

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
GoinForSix said:

Big Ben has one now and he's a mobile QB. Roger has 2 and he was a mobile QB.

Young has one and he was a mobile QB. John Elway...should I go on ?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Raiders reaching for Cutler at #6!

I'll laugh my *** off at them. He's in no way, shape or form a top 10 pick. NEVER - God bless Al Davis - draft him - PLEASE!!!!!! Drop another football player to us at #18! You'd think teams would learned from the history of drafting a "Franchise" QB in round 1 past decade.:eek:

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
GoinForSix said:

I understand your point, but I think you would be better served to describe them as "Running QB's" as opposed to "Mobile QB's"...

Lots of mobile QB's have been successful...

kartr

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
And each could kill you from the pocket, other mobile QB teams force them to throw from the pocket and many can't. The ability to run is an assest but not the most important assest

If they beat you, it doesn't matter how they do it. There's plenty of pocket qbs who've never been to a super bowl and plenty of them have either mediocre or crummy careers and no one brings it up. Why is there always a lot of complaining about running qbs in the NFL. Whether one is a pocket qb or run/passing qb, they've all been among the winners and failures. Why are some questioning Vince Young more than Jay Cutler. Cutler hasn't had the success of Vince Young, yet some here would take Cutler over Young. Shouldn't we want the best qb available, irrespective of style? Some compare Young to Vick or Cunningham, I compare Cutler to Kyle Boller. Wouldn't you rather have Vick or Cunningham over Boller?

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I like Walter. I thought he was the best passing QB coming out last year. I would like to trade for that guy.

Walter was a good QB at ASU. I don't think Tuiasasopo is the answer but it will be interesting to see if given a chance as a starter from Day 1 if he can work some of the magic that he had back at UW.

kartr

Reaction score
trickblue said:
I understand your point, but I think you would be better served to describe them as "Running QB's" as opposed to "Mobile QB's"...

Lots of mobile QB's have been successful...

Including all the ones just mentioned. They've all taken their teams to the playoffs or winning records. Even Brooks has had 4-5 consecutive 20+ td years, while his defense has finished in the bottom 5 each of those years.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Running QB is what Vick is. What Young and Roger was early in their careers. Mobile is more like Elway. Plunkett was not that mobile; neither was Bradshaw. Tarkenton was that rare one in that he was a running QB that passed a lot as well. How he lasted so long was always a mystery to me.
Brady is mobile as well. McNair was one that ran a lot as a youngster. Cunningham always did. McFlabb is another mobile qb- not a running QB.
Vick is the only running QB in the NFL right now. Young might be one.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
kartr said:
If they beat you, it doesn't matter how they do it. There's plenty of pocket qbs who've never been to a super bowl and plenty of them have either mediocre or crummy careers and no one brings it up. Why is there always a lot of complaining about running qbs in the NFL. Whether one is a pocket qb or run/passing qb, they've all been among the winners and failures. Why are some questioning Vince Young more than Jay Cutler. Cutler hasn't had the success of Vince Young, yet some here would take Cutler over Young. Shouldn't we want the best qb available, irrespective of style? Some compare Young to Vick or Cunningham, I compare Cutler to Kyle Boller. Wouldn't you rather have Vick or Cunningham over Boller?
NFL Scouting services are comparing Cutler to Brett Favre. A strong armed, tough QB on a team where his talent cannot be fully utilized. I believe I will go by their observations over yours if you don't mind.

Would you rather have a "Brett Favre" or a "Randall Cunningham?"

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Would you rather have a "Brett Favre" or a "Randall Cunningham?"

I believe this is what they call a loaded question.