NFL Rumors & Notes by Ben Maller 04/18/06...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
For the first time, there is legitimate reason to think that USC running back Reggie Bush is not going to be wind up in Houston, the city that currently holds the No. 1 overall pick. This does not come from one source or from one team. This comes from multiple sources, from across the league, without any agenda to push. The mounting evidence includes this: As of Monday, the Texans had not had any contract discussions with Bush and his representatives. None. Yet the Texans have approached North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams, trying to see if he would be receptive to discussing a deal. But the evidence goes beyond contracts. When Bush was in Houston, a certain segment of the organization never introduced itself to the running back. As a person in the Bush camp said Monday, "Do I have a feeling that Reggie is going to Houston? No, I have a feeling that he's not."

The Broncos may bring in Detroit Lions quarterback Joey Harrington for a visit. Although Harrington and Miami have a mutual interest, the Lions are looking for more draft trade compensation than the Dolphins may be offering. Last month, Denver coach Mike Shanahan said the team was interested in Harrington as a backup, but it could take some time.

The Eagles, the Denver Broncos and the San Francisco 49ers are regarded in news reports as the leading suitors for disgruntled wide receiver Javon Walker, who has asked the Green Bay Packers to trade him. The Eagles quietly wouldn’t confirm or deny interest in Walker, who still isn’t all the way back from a torn anterior cruciate ligament sustained in the 2005 regular season opener.

Chargers GM A.J. Smith did take a couple of moments to refute a couple of notions regarding his shopping of Donnie Edwards. “I'm not interested in Donnie Edwards' seven-year tackling statistics,” Smith said. “I'm only interested in the type of player he is (currently) and the player he may be in the future." By offering Edwards for trade, Smith is seeing what he can get for a 33-year-old linebacker with one year left on his contract. “There are a number of reasons why Donnie Edwards' name is out there,” Smith said. “And Coach Schottenheimer is not one of them.” Edwards has also suggested a strained relationship between Smith and super-agent Tom Condon, who represents Edwards and recently departed quarterback Drew Brees, could factor into this potential trade.

One interesting theory regarding why quarterback Brett Favre is delaying his decision on playing this season is that he hopes the Green Bay Packers will grow frustrated and trade him to a contender. The most obvious team that Favre could lead to the playoffs is Baltimore. The Ravens also are interested in Steve McNair, who has been banned from Tennessee's training facilities and will be released or traded if he refuses to renegotiate his contract.

Michael Huff, who can play safety or cornerback, is the best ball-hawking playmaker in the draft. To get Huff, however, the Cowboys would have to trade up from their 18th pick, possibly as many as 10 positions. Some draft watchers think Huff could go to Detroit at nine or St. Louis at 11. It would take a lot for the Cowboys to move up, but it's clearly something they are considering. "I grew up a Cowboys fan, and it would be a dream come true to come home," Huff said. "And for them to move up to get me would be even more special because it would mean they wanted and needed me."

Texas quarterback Vince Young spent much of Monday at Winter Park, interviewing with Brad Childress and other key staff members and undergoing a physical. The Vikings and Young's agent, Major Adams, confirmed the visit, which started at 10 a.m. and ended around 5 p.m. Adams said he didn't expect Young to be available at the No. 17 pick. "But people trade up and do all kinds of stuff," he said. "And as far as furthering your career, you never know what's going to happen." Adams accompanied Young on the visit, and they are scheduled to visit with the Oakland Raiders on Wednesday and the New York Jets on Thursday. They will fly to Cleveland on Friday.

Free agent defensive tackle Gary Walker has received interest from the Dolphins, which are seeking to add veteran depth at the position. A source said Walker was recently scheduled to visit South Florida but canceled the trip because of a personal reason. The visit has not been rescheduled. Because of injuries suffered during his 12-year career, the 33-year-old Walker told Houston media that he was considering retirement after being released last month by the Texans.

Donovan McNabb and Terrell Owens have seen each other but have not spoken, the Eagles quarterback recently told the Raleigh (N.C.) News & Observer. "We've seen each other at different occasions but never spoke," McNabb told the newspaper at an April 7 celebrity golf tournament; his comments were published yesterday. "I'm going to speak. That's just me, I'm going to speak to whomever. You don't have to like me, just respect what I do. I respect what you do. "I'm not asking you to come over to the house and hang around the family and play with my kids. Just speak. We're African-Americans, we don't need to have this separation. But you've got to let people be people. Got to let them do what they do."

The Jets completed the first leg of their tour of quarterback prospects for the N.F.L. draft, concluding a two-day meeting with Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler on Monday. The Jets' owner, Woody Johnson, made the trip to Nashville to dine with Cutler on Sunday night — Cutler ordered the New York strip at a steak house near campus — along with General Manager Mike Tannenbaum, Coach Eric Mangini and the offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. Johnson's presence was something of a surprise because owners do not usually take part in these sessions, but Johnson is becoming more involved with team operations.

Lots of people in town are asking lots of questions about Green Bay wide receiver Javon Walker, a significant talent coming off a significant knee injury, and a player with a contract problem who insists he will never play for the Packers again. The Eagles have never traded away a really significant draft choice to get a player since Andy Reid has been in charge

Safety Andre Lott signed a two-year contract with the Chargers on Monday. "Andre has four years of valuable experience on the NFL level," general manager A.J. Smith said in a statement. "He's healthy now and looking for a second chance. I'm excited to see what he can do."

The Cowboys brought in Michael Huff on Monday for a closer inspection. He is one of 20 to 23 national draft prospects expected to visit the Cowboys Monday and today. Among the others are Southern Cal running back LenDale White, Ohio State linebacker Bobby Carpenter, UT-El Paso linebacker Thomas Howard, USC tackle Winston Justice, USC tight end Dominique Byrd and Tennessee safety Jason Allen. Huff, the only visitor considered a top 10 caliber pick, talked to owner Jerry Jones and the defensive coaches Monday at the Gaylord Texan Resort in Grapevine. He is to meet with coach Bill Parcells today. Huff is scheduled to visit the Oakland Raiders on Wednesday. He has visited Detroit, Buffalo, Miami and St. Louis.

The Titans have barred Steve McNair from working out at Baptist Sports Park, the team's Nashville headquarters, until his contract situation is sorted out. McNair is under contract for the 2006 season, scheduled to make a $9 million base salary and count $23.46 million against the salary cap. The Titans want McNair to help rework the contract to lower the cap figure. Under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the Titans would be responsible for paying what his contract calls for even if he is injured while working out on team property.

While he is in the nation’s capital, Steve McNair is expected to visit with NFL Players Association general counsel Richard Berthelsen. It is Berthelsen who is heading the matter of the grievance filed on the quarterback’s behalf regarding the Tennessee Titans’ prohibiting him from working out at Baptist Sports Park. McNair will be honored as part of the players association’s NFL Gridiron Gala. He will be one of several recipients of a JB Quest for Excellence Award, created by Fox NFL analyst James Brown, which honors NFLplayers who exemplify leadership, dedication and commitment to team and community. McNair is being honored for the work he did with the Hurricane Katrina victims along the Gulf Coast and especially in his native Mississippi.

Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler revealed that Team Mangini told him how important it is for a quarterback to be able to weather the forbidding elements at Giants Stadium. This is a significant development because as a thrower of the football, Cutler clearly has the edge over Southern Cal's Matt Leinart, who will present his left-handed case today in Los Angeles for the Jets, and even Texas' Vince Young, who is on deck Thursday. Oregon's Kellen Clemens, possibly a second-round option, is up tomorrow. Cutler, who will work out Thursday for the Lions, offered the perfect answer when asked about the comparisons with Favre. "I have not even thrown an NFL pass," Cutler said. "I'm honored to be compared to him. I've got a lot left to prove before I can be mentioned in his league."

Later Monday, the Jets moved on to Los Angeles to meet with U.S.C. quarterback Matt Leinart, and they will meet with Texas quarterback Vince Young later in the week. Cutler, who has already had visits with the Titans, the Vikings and the Rams, is expected to travel to Detroit on Thursday to meet with the Lions.

Mark this one down. Look for the Denver Broncos to draft a wide receiver on the first day. They are all but admitting it this week, when every top receiver is visiting the Broncos training complex. On Monday, the Broncos hosted visits with Florida wide receiver Chad Jackson and Miami's Sinorice Moss. On Tuesday, Michigan wide receiver Jason Avant is scheduled to visit. On Thursday, Ohio State wide receiver Santonio Holmes is scheduled to visit.

The Eagles have made no secret of their intention of upgrading the wide receiver position after getting rid of temperamental superstar Terrell Owens, now a member of the Dallas Cowboys. The Eagles visited last week with collegians Maurice Stovall (Notre Dame, Archbishop Carroll) and Sinorice Moss (Miami). The Eagles also will meet with Chad Jackson (Florida), who a 4.32 40-yard dash at the scouting combine.

Chad Greenway of Iowa, one of the top linebacker prospects, visited the Vikings last week, agent Marvin Demoff said. The Vikings confirmed Monday that Greenway visited last week, as did Florida State cornerback Antonio Cromartie.

Fashion News: As part of the Vikings' uniform changes, look for the Norseman head with horns on the team's jersey sleeves to be moved to the pants.

The Buccaneers and the Tampa Sports Authority signed an agreement Monday to resolve their lengthy and stormy stalemate over who should pay for extra security. Eric Land, the Bucs' new chief operating officer, and Sports Authority Chairman Patrick Manteiga finalized a deal that calls for the NFL team and the public agency that runs the stadium to split the expenses created by NFL-mandated extra security and pat-down measures. It came after the 11-member sports authority board unanimously voted to approve the agreement after years of contentious relations.​

douboy167

Reaction score
Thanks For The post I Really Hope We Get Huff that would be scary huff and roy gives me the goosbumps

anava

Reaction score
As much as I would like this to happen, what would it take to move up to the 8th spot?

Eddie

Reaction score
No trading up ... and definitely not for a Safety.

We're more than 1 player away, and we need all the help we can muster.

We can't throw away draft picks for a single player ... who may or may not even have an impact on the team.

MrPhil

Reaction score
trickblue said:
For the first time, there is legitimate reason to think that USC running back Reggie Bush is not going to be wind up in Houston, the city that currently holds the No. 1 overall pick. This does not come from one source or from one team. This comes from multiple sources, from across the league, without any agenda to push. The mounting evidence includes this: As of Monday, the Texans had not had any contract discussions with Bush and his representatives. None. Yet the Texans have approached North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams, trying to see if he would be receptive to discussing a deal. But the evidence goes beyond contracts. When Bush was in Houston, a certain segment of the organization never introduced itself to the running back. As a person in the Bush camp said Monday, "Do I have a feeling that Reggie is going to Houston? No, I have a feeling that he's not."

Man oh man, the Texans passing on Bush sure would throw a wrench into the works wouldn't it?​

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
anava said:
As much as I would like this to happen, what would it take to move up to the 8th spot?

Too much---I wish it could happen -but I can't see it happening--

MrPhil

Reaction score
Out of curiousity, does anyone remember how many of our draftees from last year were actually brought to Valley Ranch for visits before the draft?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Eddie said:
No trading up ... and definitely not for a Safety.

We're more than 1 player away, and we need all the help we can muster.

We can't throw away draft picks for a single player ... who may or may not even have an impact on the team.
I'm with Eddie 100% on this. We're not 1 player away. Realistically in order to cover our bases we need to get 4 contributors out of this draft, and 2 of them be potential starters right away.

FS is a need, but it isn't so glaring that we can afford to get rid of draft picks.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Thanks for bringing this to us every day, TB.

This guy's report is the most informative out there.

And I hope Houston passes on Reggie. It would be a monumental mistake, IMO.

I think Dallas is just covering its bases in case Huff slides a little bit. They may move up for him, but not all the way to 8 or 9. There are sliders every year.

cowboys#1

Finish!
Reaction score
im sure jerry and bill know what there doing...what ever the cowboys do on draft day im 100% behind them. this isnt jets fans , booing before they make the first selection.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Chargers GM A.J. Smith did take a couple of moments to refute a couple of notions regarding his shopping of Donnie Edwards. “I'm not interested in Donnie Edwards' seven-year tackling statistics,” Smith said. “I'm only interested in the type of player he is (currently) and the player he may be in the future." By offering Edwards for trade, Smith is seeing what he can get for a 33-year-old linebacker with one year left on his contract. “There are a number of reasons why Donnie Edwards' name is out there,” Smith said. “And Coach Schottenheimer is not one of them.” Edwards has also suggested a strained relationship between Smith and super-agent Tom Condon, who represents Edwards and recently departed quarterback Drew Brees, could factor into this potential trade.

It is just me or does A.J. Smith just seem like a crude unmannered lout?

Colo

Rocky Mountain High
Reaction score
trickblue said:
Donovan McNabb and Terrell Owens have seen each other but have not spoken, the Eagles quarterback recently told the Raleigh (N.C.) News & Observer. "We've seen each other at different occasions but never spoke," McNabb told the newspaper at an April 7 celebrity golf tournament; his comments were published yesterday. "I'm going to speak. That's just me, I'm going to speak to whomever. You don't have to like me, just respect what I do. I respect what you do. "I'm not asking you to come over to the house and hang around the family and play with my kids. Just speak. We're African-Americans, we don't need to have this separation. But you've got to let people be people. Got to let them do what they do."​
Now that is the kind of grasp for the obvious I want my QB to display. :rolleyes:

And that has anything to do with what? McNabb is an idiot..

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
Did you guys see that Sports Illustrated, in their Rumors section (I know, it's a rumor), is reporting the Cowboys have an interest in LenDale White because of JuJo's injury concerns?

He's missed (I think) 12 out of 32 games in two years due to injury. White is also the big, bruising back BP likes.

With that said, I think it would be a mistake to draft another. We'd be like the Detroit Lions who drafted from the same position three years in a row (although their selections were high 1st round picks). MBIII and JuJo will make a nice tandem for the next four or five years until one of them wants to leave.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Alexander said:
It is just me or does A.J. Smith just seem like a crude unmannered lout?

He is... and he and Shottenheimer don't see eye to eye either...

Apparently it was his and his decision alone to release Brees... Marty has publicly questioned him in the media...

Sounds like Jerry/Jimmy II

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I don't buy this Williams to Texans talk. I believe this is Houston's last ditch effort to get someone to trade up for the pick, gain an extra first day pick or two and still select Ferguson.

If no takers, Bush is the pick.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
You know back about 3-4 weeks ago I mentioned a possibility that Houston passes on Bush and what will it do to draft boards...No I had no inside knowledge but I had thought that Brick is the need pick for Houston...But now Houston throws me for a loop and is looking at Williams...don't get me wrong he is a fantastic player but I still think Brick is the needed pick...

If you were Houston and could not trade down wouldn't you take Brick?

here is somethings to think about

Bush is a great talent but running behind that line might shorten his career dramatically...

David Carr their QB is taking a beating and it maybe that they ruined him but how would they know...

They have a wonderful wideout but they need time to get him the ball...

Davis is a decent enough RB...

and if they take Brick he has a good chance of being there 15, 16, 17 or more years...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Avery said:
I don't buy this Williams to Texans talk. I believe this is Houston's last ditch effort to get someone to trade up for the pick, gain an extra first day pick or two and still select Ferguson.

If no takers, Bush is the pick.
Right on the friggin' :money:

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
Interesting stuff ... put some of the pieces together.

Why would Lienart fire his agent all of a sudden, and give his new agent (Condon) marching orders to make sure he is the #1 pick in the 2006 draft?

Perhaps more than one source was whispering in Matt's ear that the #1 pick was now in a bit more flux than it was a few months ago.

Let's say you are Matt Lienart. For months now, Leigh Steinberg has been preparing you to go in the top five. You keep hearing that Vince Young's stock is rocketing, and every time you hear Mike Mayock go on about Jay Cutler, you throw up in your mouth a little bit.

Now, you find out from a credible source that the Texans are looking to trade out of the number one slot. Everything is up for grabs. Wouldn't you take some drastic measures to make sure you jockey up to the number 1 pick? Might those drastic measures include firing your agent 2 weeks before the draft and letting it be known that you want to be the #1 pick? That might plant ideas in a few GM's minds, no? At least it would keep your name in the headlines for a few days.

Hmmmmmm ....

Gfunk

Reaction score
conflicting stories, cause just last week I read that Bush's contract demands sickened Houston