NFL Rumors & Notes by Ben Maller 05/16/06...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Ty Law's agent, Carl Poston, said his client took a physical for the Patriots last week, but there have been no substantive talks between the two parties about a contract. Poston said that while a physical is an ''indication of a level of interest," it does not mean an offer is impending. ''I often have clients take physicals that lead to nothing," Poston said yesterday. Law also took a physical for the Titans last Thursday, and has been in regular contact with Chiefs coach Herman Edwards. Poston said the Chiefs, Patriots, Titans, and Seahawks all remain in the hunt for Law's services, though no formal offer has been made by any team and Law is under no pressure to make a decision soon.

According to those who know him, Vinny Testaverde is expected to retire, but his decision is not final, at least not yet. One team has floated the idea of Testaverde being a player/coach, tutoring its young quarterback and having the veteran ready to step in if needed. But at this point, the player/coach scenario is a long shot.

Tom Coughlin has two years remaining on his four-year, $12 million contract. The Giants have not yet approached him about an extension. Typically, they extend contracts with one year remaining. It would be a huge surprise if the Giants don't give Coughlin a new deal, especially with Ernie Accorsi expected to retire after this season. Considering Coughlin won the NFC East in his second season after taking over a program in decline, Coughlin likely will be the Giants' coach for quite a while.

The Patriots have had a veteran backup quarterback on their roster in each of Bill Belichick's six years as coach, from John Friesz (2000), to Damon Huard (2001-03), to Jim Miller (2004), to Doug Flutie (2005). The current free agent crop of veteran quarterbacks includes Tony Banks, Jeff Blake, Kerry Collins, Jay Fiedler, and Tommy Maddox.

Saints RB Reggie Bush's marketing representative, Mike Ornstein, said it's appearing more unlikely Bush will be wearing his customary No. 5 this season, though it's possible the rule barring running backs from wearing single-digit numbers could be changed in time for the 2007 season. ... Barring a last-minute reprieve from the league, the next time Bush takes the field for the June 2-4 minicamp he could be wearing No. 25, if he can secure it from veteran running back Fred McAfee. Ornstein said Monday he thought the league would deny Bush's request to wear No. 5 this season but that the rule would likely be modified for next season. If that's the case, Bush could then return to wearing No. 5.

Ruston Webster, an 18-year member of the organization who has played an integral part in each of the Bucs previous five drafts, is among those the Rams are considering as their new vice president of player personnel, a Rams official confirmed. Webster, who spent last year serving as the Bucs director of player personnel and the previous four as their director of college scouting, interviewed for the post shortly after the draft, according to Jay Zygmunt, the Rams director of football operations.

NFL Players Association general counsel Richard Berthelsen will represent Steve McNair in the matter. The quarterback and his agent, James “Bus” Cook, will attend the hearing as well. The Titans will be represented by league management council attorney Dennis Curran, as well as attorney Dan Nash, Titans general counsel Steve Underwood and general manager Floyd Reese. While both sides will present their cases to Ferrick today, chances are a decision in the matter won’t be forthcoming immediately. “Our experience is [a decision has] very seldom been at that moment,” Reese said. “It’s been later on — a few days, a few weeks or whatever. Historically for us, it’s not been something that’s happened immediately. Could it happen [today]? I guess it could.”

Eagles coach Andy Reid raised some eyebrows and drew some scoffs when he said shortly after last season's 6-10 record that his team was going to run the ball more this year. But Reid reiterated that point again Monday as the Eagles closed their first minicamp of the spring. Reacting to a question about whether Brian Westbrook would get the ball more this season, Reid again said the Eagles would become more of a running team. "Last year, I will be honest with you, the numbers got a little skewed toward the pass," Reid said. "And we need to get back to what we have done here before and that is balance it up a bit more and give the running game an opportunity to work in there with the pass game."

This should be a fascinating year for the 26-year-old Brian Westbrook because it will be the first time in his Eagles career that he will truly be Donovan McNabb's featured weapon. Sharing the running-back duties in 2003 with Duce Staley and Correll Buckhalter, Westbrook managed nearly 1,000 yards in total offense and scored 11 touchdowns (plus two on punt returns). Now, after signing a five-year, $25 million deal in the middle of last season, Westbrook wants to do more. "I want him to want the football," Reid said. "I think that is important. I wouldn't expect anything less from him."

The Bengals waived Craig Krenzel on Monday, but it may not be the last they've heard from the former Ohio State quarterback. He has 25 days to file an injury grievance with the NFL Players Association. A representative from NC Sports, a suburban Cleveland company that represents Krenzel, told the Dayton Daily News that Krenzel sustained an arm injury, which requires surgery, during the club's offseason workout program.

New Eagles receiver Jabar Gaffney wants to switch from No. 84 to No. 10, but he is not sure he can make a deal with quarterback Koy Detmer. "We've talked a little on the subject, but we haven't worked out any details yet," Gaffney said. "I'm kind of scared about what the opening bid might be." Gaffney wore No. 10 when he played at the University of Florida. "It worked pretty good for me in college," he said.

The Ravens, though, have been unable to complete a trade for Steve McNair. It is believed the Ravens and the Titans have not spoken since the trade talks ended abruptly two weeks ago. The Ravens offered a fifth-round pick, and the Titans wanted nothing lower than a fourth. If McNair wins his grievance, the arbitrator could order the Titans to allow him back into the facility or let him become a free agent. Tennessee is expected to trade or release McNair eventually because he counts $23.46 million against its salary cap. The Titans, who are only $112,000 under the cap, need to reduce his cap number so they can sign draft picks and other free agents. Asked if the Titans have a plan in place for any result, general manager Floyd Reese told Tennessee reporters: "Always."

Santonio Holmes -- and all NFL rookies from Ohio State in his class -- is barred from the extended spring workouts. The Steelers' first-round draft pick will rejoin his new teammates at the end of July in training camp, provided he signs a contract by then. Most other rookies may continue to work out, learn the offense and defense, and pick up lessons from veterans and coaches with their new team. Holmes, a receiver, also won't be able to build a rapport with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger this spring.

Steelers HB Duce Staley, 31, returned this offseason to the University of South Carolina to take classes and fulfill a promise. "I want to finish my degree," said Staley, who hopes to have enough credits to graduate with a degree in sports communication next spring. "I promised my mom that I would finish it before all is said and done."

Hanik Milligan worked out with his teammates at Chargers Park for the first time this offseason and said his not being around earlier was a “communication” issue. “Everything is behind us now,” said Milligan, who made the AFC Pro Bowl squad as a special teams player. “I'm just happy to be here.” Milligan signed with agent Drew Rosenhaus in January and did not show up for voluntary workouts. He has been on the trading block since early last month.

The Dolphins plan to evaluate Marcus Vick in the mold of Antwaan Randle El of Washington and Hines Ward of Pittsburgh, former college quarterbacks who are wide receivers with the ability to return punts and kicks and throw passes on gadget plays.

Dolphins QB Joey Harrington, obtained from Detroit on Friday, participated in a practice on Monday.

Giants coach Tom Coughlin said the signing of LB LaVar Arrington has already been beneficial. "I really think he has been a really good, enthusiastic, energetic shot in the arm for the whole team," he said. Arrington and fellow LB Antonio Pierce spent nearly an hour inside the practice bubble watching the rookies in the afternoon.

Matt Cassel, who turns 24 tomorrow, said he hasn't been told his place on the Pats depth chart, but he's naturally eyeing the No. 2 spot behind Tom Brady, who has made 89 consecutive starts. ''It's a role that hopefully I can step into," he said. ''As of right now, I'm just doing everything I can to put myself into a position to hopefully fulfill that role and hopefully get myself ready. God forbid if anything were to happen [to Tom], that's the position I'd want to be in and prepare myself for."

Jai Lewis, the former George Mason power forward, worked at left tackle during the rookie minicamp that ended yesterday. He said he had several offers from teams to attend rookie minicamps on a tryout basis. The Giants were the only team to offer him a contract. "It wasn't too hard to make this decision," he said. Lewis has not played football since high school. His best chance to stick around the Giants might be on the practice squad. "I'm thinking about making the 53-man roster," he said. "I'm not trying to settle for anything less than that right now."

Who Knew? The Giants have four players (Eli Manning, Tiki Barber, Tim Hasselbeck and Sinorice Moss) who have brothers in the NFL. They also have twins who are trying to make the club as rookie free agents: linebacker Kevis Coley and safety Trevis, who played together at Southern Miss.

Cornerback Fred Smoot, with a miserable 2005 campaign on and off the field behind him, has a fresh outlook and a new appearance as he prepares for his second season with the Vikings. While Smoot has a clean start on the field, not all of his problems from 2005 have been resolved. He and left tackle Bryant McKinnie await trial for multiple misdemeanors from the boat incident. Smoot's lawyer, David Valentini, has requested the charges be dismissed but, if that doesn't happen, his trial is scheduled to begin May 30.

With his 30th birthday coming Sept. 3, Eagles DE Jevon Kearse knows the next move is his. "I'm just going out and trying different things. Practice makes perfect, I do think," said Kearse, who said new defensive-line coach Pete Jenkins was helping him revise his approach. Getting Darren Howard for the other end of the line obviously will make it harder for defenses to key so much on Kearse, as will the addition of first-round rookie defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley.

Eagles coach Andy Reid suggested Brian Westbrook put in a call to Giants running back Tiki Barber and pick his brain about his secrets to good health. Barber, 31, has an almost identical body type to Westbrook but has been much more durable. He hasn't missed a game in 4 years despite averaging 376 touches per season over that period. Westbrook phoned Barber a couple of times but hasn't heard back from him. "Tiki's been big-timing me," Westbrook joked. "He's been chintzy with his secrets, man." When Westbrook is healthy, he's every bit as dangerous as Barber. He has a better career yards-per-catch average (9.7 to 8.9) and a similar yards-per-carry average (4.5 to 4.6).

All Hank Fraley is worried about is regaining his position as the Eagles starting center, a spot he has occupied since 2001. Fraley is battling Jamaal Jackson, who started the final eight games last year. During the minicamp at the NovaCare Complex, which concluded yesterday, Fraley completed his first hurdle by participating in all three days of workouts. He wasn't cleared to participate until shortly before the first day, Saturday.

Correll Buckhalter, who has missed two straight seasons and three of the last four because of serious knee injuries, is definitely not a player the Eagles can count on as they prepare for the 2006 season. Instead, they have to look at any contribution they get from the running back as an unexpected bonus.

Rookie quarterback Omar Jacobs gave the Steelers an extended look at his funky throwing motion. He looks like a man throwing darts three-quarters with a punchy release that is quick, not drawing his arm way back. The coaches won't tinker with it, at least not anytime soon. "Right now, you just let him play," coordinator Ken Whisenhunt said. "He has too many other things to worry about. He has a quick release. Right now, he's worried about calling the play, getting to the line of scrimmage, getting the snap. You start messing with other things you might give him overload."

After Monday's practice, the Rams released tight end Ed Nelson, a former basketball player at the University of Connecticut who was trying to make the transition to the NFL, and defensive end Kory Lothe of Eastern Illinois. Both were undrafted free agents.

Former Rutgers QB Ryan Hart participated in the camp on a tryout basis. When he left yesterday, the Giants had not yet told him if they would offer him a contract.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Eagles have a pretty scary defensive front with Howard, Kearse, Walker, Bunkley, Cole and Patterson.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Their D will be tough but their O will be soft. They just have 2 weapons, really, McFlabb and Westbrook.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
trickblue said:
After Monday's practice, the Rams released tight end Ed Nelson, a former basketball player at the University of Connecticut who was trying to make the transition to the NFL, and defensive end Kory Lothe of Eastern Illinois. Both were undrafted free agents.
This Ed Nelson guy should have been trying out for the Cowboys. With Jerry's love for baseball players and Bill's love for Tight Ends how could he miss? :D

Doomsday101

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
This Ed Nelson guy should have been trying out for the Cowboys. With Jerry's love for baseball players and Bill's love for Tight Ends how could he miss? :D

Actually more teams are looking at basketball players as TE and it appears the transition does not seem to be hard to overcome. These guys bring great size, good hands and eye coordination. If you can handle the physical nature of football and learn rout running I think many of these guys have a decent chance.

Hoov

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Their D will be tough but their O will be soft. They just have 2 weapons, really, McFlabb and Westbrook.

they do have a big O Line and they signed shoebel so they have 2 pass cathing TE's now.

I dont think their offensive will be dynamite but i beleive they will be able to move the ball. If their defense is able to control the game and give them feild position they are capable of putting up some points.

They will have a good dline rotation, but i think they'll be hurting at LB and their secondary can be beat.

Reaction score

Unfortunately that was the team that took them to 3 out of the 4 NFC title games.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Rookie quarterback Omar Jacobs gave the Steelers an extended look at his funky throwing motion. He looks like a man throwing darts three-quarters with a punchy release that is quick, not drawing his arm way back. The coaches won't tinker with it, at least not anytime soon. "Right now, you just let him play," coordinator Ken Whisenhunt said. "He has too many other things to worry about. He has a quick release. Right now, he's worried about calling the play, getting to the line of scrimmage, getting the snap. You start messing with other things you might give him overload."

The Cowboys could have taken a lesson from the Steelers here about Henson.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:

The Cowboys could have taken a lesson from the Steelers here about Henson.

The Cowboys gave Henson his first year without working on his release too. I bet the Steelers start working on Jacobs release his sophomore year.

ZenItRam

Reaction score
Santonio Holmes -- and all NFL rookies from Ohio State in his class -- is barred from the extended spring workouts. The Steelers' first-round draft pick will rejoin his new teammates at the end of July in training camp, provided he signs a contract by then. Most other rookies may continue to work out, learn the offense and defense, and pick up lessons from veterans and coaches with their new team. Holmes, a receiver, also won't be able to build a rapport with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger this spring.

How does this affect our LB draft ... or does it?

DeepBleu

Reaction score
JackMagist said:

jerry might love baseball players, but this guy was a basketball player. never heard of anything about jerry two timing his baseball love.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Eagles have a pretty scary defensive front with Howard, Kearse, Walker, Bunkley, Cole and Patterson.

a mild shiver maybe but these guys dont put the fear of god in me

baj1dallas

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:

It's not that scary to me, if the Boys are gonna keep everybody but TO and Glenn in to block. It's a talented group but we can attack their secondary. I don't see us running on them though.

The Realist

Reaction score
Future 585 said:
a mild shiver maybe but these guys dont put the fear of god in me

Howard's knees will be out of the league inside of 2 years.

Kearse has as many sacks as Ellis since signing with Philly.

bobtheflob

Reaction score

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
The Cowboys gave Henson his first year without working on his release too. I bet the Steelers start working on Jacobs release his sophomore year.

exactly, cuz notice at the end of that paragraph, Wisenhut (SP) said that he has other things to worry about, such as playing QB and learning the O, same thing we did with Henson his 1st year, and then we decided to tinker with his throwing motion, and believe you me, OMar's throwing motion is way worse that Henson's baseball throw