News: NFL running backs seek to create separate union

JeffAtl

Reaction score
I see what you're saying but what forces them to spend the money now? Only thing they are forced to do is NOT spend over the cap every season.

There is a Salary Cap Minimum - it is currently 89% of the total cap.

In any particular year, a team can cleverly circumvent the minimum (usually to bank some cap spending for the next year), but over a period of a few years (3 I think), it has to average out to over the minimum.

Also, the league as a whole has to spend 95% of the cap yearly. Any cap spending below that is given to the players.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I see what you're saying but what forces them to spend the money now? Only thing they are forced to do is NOT spend over the cap every season.

Correct, but if there is no cap, then there is no reason for the CBA either. I think you see that go away because why would the owners need it? With no CBA, you have no mandate to spend a certain percentage of the profits and owners just go back to putting that money in their own pockets. Owners like Jerry, they would walk around with empty pockets and a stadium full of Trophy's but other owners, they didn't care then and they will likely be a lot of them today that wouldn't care either. That's just my opinion thou.

Swanny

Reaction score
Correct, but if there is no cap, then there is no reason for the CBA either. I think you see that go away because why would the owners need it? With no CBA, you have no mandate to spend a certain percentage of the profits and owners just go back to putting that money in their own pockets. Owners like Jerry, they would walk around with empty pockets and a stadium full of Trophy's but other owners, they didn't care then and they will likely be a lot of them today that wouldn't care either. That's just my opinion thou.
Agree with this. I do think the salary cap should stay in place. But if I'm the union I try to eliminate it. It's never going to happen though. I wish that the NFL would take parts from every pro league and make it work. I like that the nba you can pay your own guys more than other teams. I like that in baseball players get a fully guranteed contract. I wish the NFL had a trade deadline as good as mlb. I feel like the NHL has it figured out pretty good. I feel like the NFL needs a long work stoppage to really hammer out all the things that need to be fixed.