News: NFL running backs seek to create separate union

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Since the position is devalued; remove it from the game, and pay hybrids a king's ransom. I see why players want their money. Fans are so far removed from the financial aspect of being a professional athlete. It is not your Walmart, 7 days a week, vest and khaki job. Stop insulting yourselves with these inane comparisons.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Why would any fan care about the players? Do you root for the fans or the players?

Are you jealous of the money the owners make? "Owner". Does that word have meaning to you? Ever been a business owner? Obviously not.

In reality, its about "the salary cap". You do understand that if we keep paying these babies over bloated salaries, it makes it harder to field a great team right?

And yes, why wouldnt anyone be jealous of the money players make?

Who wouldnt be jealous of a part time job where you run around a field, catch balls, become famous and make millions for a job that does nothing but entertain.

Do you feel the same way about singers, movie stars, politicians, etc. If not, your little rant has no substance.

conner01

Reaction score
That is true. It would diminish the value of draft picks. I do know I would prefer the security of a 4 year contract over a 1 or 2 year contract though. But obviously many would want a 1 or 2 year. The easiest answer is eliminate the salary cap. But that's never going to happen
It is complicated but it’s in the leagues best interest to find a solution

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Do you feel the same way about singers, movie stars, politicians, etc. If not, your little rant has no substance.

Singers and movie stars dont have a salary cap that affect the team. They also dont play for a team where how much they make affects the product.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tenor.gif

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Singers and movie stars dont have a salary cap that affect the team. They also dont play for a team where how much they make affects the product.

The Cap is secondary to what you stated. Exhorbitant amounts of money being given to any individual for entertainment purposes, could be viewed as foolish. The NFL has done a good job of running its system without any suggestions from any fan base, so they will be fine. If the Cowboys were at full strength, with no distractions; management/coaching would find a way to mess the season up.

Dak and Zeke are not the problem with the Cowboys. Not having foresight among the coaching staff, GM, and "yes" men, is the bigger issue. What type of communications occurred, or did not occur during the off-season? I heard, "Jerry doesn't lose". Byron, Jaylon, and others beware.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The Cap is secondary to what you stated. Exhorbitant amounts of money being given to any individual for entertainment purposes, could be viewed as foolish. The NFL has done a good job of running its system without any suggestions from any fan base, so they will be fine. If the Cowboys were at full strength, with no distractions; management/coaching would find a way to mess the season up.

Dak and Zeke are not the problem with the Cowboys. Not having foresight among the coaching staff, GM, and "yes" men, is the bigger issue. What type of communications occurred, or did not occur during the off-season? I heard, "Jerry doesn't lose". Byron, Jaylon, and others beware.

You are changing the argument from salary cap pay to entertainment pay. Not interested in a change of conversation.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You are changing the argument from salary cap pay to entertainment pay. Not interested in a change of conversation.

You first mentioned ENTERTAINMENT, and YOU brought in the CAP. Why the sudden change in venue?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Wait what? So you were just lying before to try to make an argument or just trying to be disagreeable? You said you can’t understand either side, Zeke or the Cowboys.

So now you are saying you do understand both sides perspective?

Your story, you tell it.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
That's easier said than done since they're already in one, but it's an interesting idea. I'm guessing Zeke signed it, or will when he gets back from Cabo.

A petition reportedly has been filed with the National Labor Relations Board seeking to create a separate union for NFL running backs.

According to the website Law360, the petition was filed Thursday by the International Brotherhood of Professional Running Backs and focuses on the shorter careers for players at the position.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/08/12/nfl-running-backs-union-petition/
they're more than welcome to find another career.

bandfan

Reaction score
The first thing that will have to happen is for the new union to come up with a definition of "running back". Then they can watch the league evolve into a pass only offence....

aikemirv

Reaction score
It’s more then feeding families. The owners can definitely feed their families with a fraction of what they make but hey let’s complain about the people taking repetitive trauma to their bodies.

It’s like boxing they should try everything they can to make as much as they can because they are literally damaging their bodies for fans enjoyment and owners pockets.

People of all professions damage their body every day and have to do it a lot longer than NFL players- just ask a railroad worker - how about a vet, so that is not in the equation - it is part of the job and part of a lot of jobs in this country. Companies make money as a whole and the companies create the value of the product being sold, they actually created the product itself. Without that product, the worker gets nothing. Same in the NFL. If all the NFL players held out, in 5 years nobody would even care, they would just be replaced with new players from the college ranks. Same with other companies in the US, except with a normal company some employees cannot be replaced - not the case with football. Colleges replace football players every year and yet the product still has the same value. In short football players should be thankful for the product they participate in and the salaries they earn from it. Some positions get more money - that is the part of the product that makes it valuable - entertainment factor! 5 yrds and a cloud of dust just does not entertain as much as it used to.
Smh at this bs being posted. In the land of the free y’all love so much. Imagine your job underpaying you and you not asking for a raise :lmao2:Idgaf if you were making 5 mil a year. If others doing worse than you are making 10 will you be content? Go ahead and lie like an internet troll or be a man and tell the truth.

Underpaying you? Every employee gets paid as a result or reflection of the value you bring to the company/product. Entertainers, CEO's, Managers, Accountants. CEO's bring more value to the Company or at least should than an accountant. I am content that the CEO and President of my company make twice what I do and other Managers make more than I do. If they are doing their job correctly they bring more value to the company and are not as easily replaceable.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That Day One success is half the point. RBs can hit their elite status on their rookie contracts from Day One, but if they just let themselves be ridden into the ground on their rookie contracts under the current CBA, they won't be elite by the time they hit free agency.

As it is, under the current CBA, it probably makes sense for RBs to hold out to reduce the wear and tear on them, so that they have more left for free agency where they can get paid more for it. Zeke maybe less than some, as he's being paid like the 4th pick, but it's true top RBs on less pricey rookie contracts.

I'm not really arguing that. What I am saying is that so long as the passing game is king in the NFL, and lets be honest here, it's not going away anytime soon, the RBs are going to take a backseat. You want to fix the situation, stop creating rules that provide such advantage to the Passing game and let the game revert back to the way it was originally designed. Allow backs to become more important to the game again and their value will go back up. Now, for every actions, there is an equal and opposite reaction. I mean, that's just Isaac Newton Physics right? If you do change the game and allow it to not be so heavily weighted towards the passing game, then you effect the value of other positions. The value of CBs goes down, the value of WRs goes down, the value of QBs probably goes down. Pick your poison I suppose. This is Football at it's highest level. The game has always been physically tough and careers have always been short. If anything, the game has gotten better in that regard, because of modern Medical Sciences and improved conditioning and nutrition. The game will change again, who knows, perhaps the cost of QBs will prove to be the catalyst for that change eventually but in any case, it will change again and RBs will eventually become more prominent in some form or fashion. At some point, their pay scale will come back but that day is not today. Take your pick, which positions do we want to effect here. It will always be something.

That's all I'm saying.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
People of all professions damage their body every day and have to do it a lot longer than NFL players- just ask a railroad worker - how about a vet, so that is not in the equation - it is part of the job and part of a lot of jobs in this country. Companies make money as a whole and the companies create the value of the product being sold, they actually created the product itself. Without that product, the worker gets nothing. Same in the NFL. If all the NFL players held out, in 5 years nobody would even care, they would just be replaced with new players from the college ranks. Same with other companies in the US, except with a normal company some employees cannot be replaced - not the case with football. Colleges replace football players every year and yet the product still has the same value. In short football players should be thankful for the product they participate in and the salaries they earn from it. Some positions get more money - that is the part of the product that makes it valuable - entertainment factor! 5 yrds and a cloud of dust just does not entertain as much as it used to.

Underpaying you? Every employee gets paid as a result or reflection of the value you bring to the company/product. Entertainers, CEO's, Managers, Accountants. CEO's bring more value to the Company or at least should than an accountant. I am content that the CEO and President of my company make twice what I do and other Managers make more than I do. If they are doing their job correctly they bring more value to the company and are not as easily replaceable.
Zeke is paid based on the value he brings to Dallas?

aikemirv

Reaction score
Zeke is paid based on the value he brings to Dallas?
So far Zeke has 24 million guaranteed for 3 yrs of play and brought a ton of negative attention to the Cowboys and according to a lot on this board is replaceable by a 3-4th rd pick if we were to strike a bit of luck.

There is always a bit of discrepancy in value with a rookie contract which is based on projected value and what you did in college as a comparison to others projected value.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
So far Zeke has 24 million guaranteed for 3 yrs of play and brought a ton of negative attention to the Cowboys and according to a lot on this board is replaceable by a 3-4th rd pick if we were to strike a bit of luck.

There is always a bit of discrepancy in value with a rookie contract which is based on projected value and what you did in college as a comparison to others projected value.
So the answer is no. So all that typing he did was for a terrible point