Twitter: NFL Salary Cap to rise to $133mil - Post #67

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But their position to spend doesn't change because every team gets the same increase. They are just as cap poor relative to the rest of the league.

A lot of those teams already had room they weren't using. Giving them more room not to use, while it's technically an equivalent advantage, practically it'll do nothing for them.

On the other hand, teams with a history of using every ounce of their cap space can be expected to do the same with the increased cap. There's always the question of whether or not tens like the Cowboys spend wisely--and many times we do not--but at the macro level, our willingness to spend as much as we can does give us a theoretical advantage over that block of teams who are unwilling to do so.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it's pretty much irrelevant. All teams get the same increase. So the Cowboys cap position doesn't change.

Disagree, it's relevant to the Cowboys within their own cap position. I do not care how it effects the other teams. However, they do need to be wise with it still, and not give out stupid contracts as in the past. It will let other teams sign players that the Cowboys could now possibly go after, top tier type guys, but not the big FA's out there.

But that is the same situation as you say for all the teams, yes. However, Dallas weren't going to compete for them regardless. I'm only concerned how it helps Dallas.

But it does open up more opportunities for some low key depth players that they may not have had a chance on before. Or keep a few of their own, which I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Increased cap only helps Cowboys a little
February, 20, 2014
Feb 20
11:00
AM ET
By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

The Cowboys would need to trim close to $20 million from their cap by March 11, and executive vice president Stephen Jones said the club has various paths to do the job.

Three players are prime candidates to get their contracts restructured. Tony Romo and Sean Lee will get their contracts done because that is how they were structured. Orlando Scandrick is the other. Those three moves would gain the Cowboys roughly $17.8 million in space.

The Cowboys could gain roughly $5 million in space by re-working the contract of cornerback Brandon Carr. He does not turn 28 until May, but the Cowboys have to decide if it would be worth it. Do they want to push more money out against the cap on Carr, which would make it difficult to cut him in 2015 should he struggle again in 2014.

By re-working the contract of tight end Jason Witten, the Cowboys can gain another $3 million in space, but he is entering the 12th year of his career and turns 32 in May. Is it wise to push money out in the future on him? The same case can be made for quarterback Kyle Orton.

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...ncreased-cap-would-help-cowboys-only-a-little

daveferr33

Reaction score

I just don't understand how Fisher and the Jones boys scoff at the idea of "cap hell." Its simple math--if you don't have the room to sign a FA and another team does, then the other team gets the FA and you don't.

Doesn't that effect your ability to get better (at least on paper)?

How is that not a real problem?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
For most teams at the edge or slightly above the cap, it is a big deal. For Dallas, not so much.

Yes it is. With Dallas expected restructures. they will have 12.1 mil in cap room before Austins 5.5 mil. with Austins 5.5 they are 17.6 under the cap Not adding the cuts they will make.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
7 mill jump is pretty large. It also speaks to long-term cap savings for spreading out deals. Shove money back and proportionally it is less spent capwise.

And those saying "at what cost" -- keep in mind that the three major deals we are restructuring are ones that we designed to be restructured. This isn't some "oh crap what do we do now?" move.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Yes it is. With Dallas expected restructures. they will have 12.1 mil in cap room before Austins 5.5 mil. with Austins 5.5 they are 17.6 under the cap Not adding the cuts they will make.

Austin will likely be June 1st designation -- I expect we look at that money as what we will need to pay the draft picks

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Austin will likely be June 1st designation -- I expect we look at that money as what we will need to pay the draft picks

Thats what i look at it as. 12.1 will be what Dallas has to spend twards FA or resigning Dez and Tyron

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
wrong. They clearly said last year that the reason the cap is not going up as much as thought is because of those expenses which are taken OFF the top of the revenue.

If it is as you claim then they would have a much more clear idea of what the cap would be since they probably can ID at least 90-95% if the revenue each year.

Those are the controls. Recall the CBA negotiations and the NFLPA demanding only revenues to be counted and in return they would agree to get 50% of the gross versus the 57% of the net. They were complaining about the deductions being too easy to manipulate. The NFL granted that but wanted the transition period from one form of accounting to the other. The NFLPA came back with the price floor. The deal was done.

After the first 4 years, 2011-2014, of the 10 year deal would be under the transition rules but then the deductions would go away. They just signed the new TV deal with CBS for Thursday night and the NFL has expanded their NFLN as well as online media production.

We saw a $7m increase with controls after $3.5m in 2013. I am not a fan of making up numbers but a modest increase puts you at a $10m increase.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think it's pretty much irrelevant. All teams get the same increase. So the Cowboys cap position doesn't change.

I think your statement is accurate as it pertains to acquiring players in free agency because it should drive the market up a little, but it may be incorrrect as it pertains to keeping players currently on the roster or how we might decide to handle their retention and/or contracts.

FiveTime

Reaction score
Is the floor a hard number or percentage of the cap? If it is a percentage the cap rise could force some teams to spend more.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
This is good news… Every little bit helps these days. I think this could be the difference between keeping or cutting Ware. I don't want to see him go and think he has 2-3 years of solid production, so I hope they can find a solution to keep him around.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
This is great news. It was expected to be around 126-127m and Dallas had no problems getting 15m under the cap. Now they can possibly wait on making a decision on Ware and still sign a couple big FAs. It also signals that the cap will keep going up more quickly than reported. Pushing money to the future works great when the cap goes up significantly.

Keep Ware, sign Melton/Joseph, sign a FS, draft DE, DT, OLB, OG, extend Dez, TSmith, sign Waters in August.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt 2m
Translation: "Chill, agents." RT @TomPelissero: Spielman expects the cap under $130M. "It's not a significant increase."”

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
With this bump in $$$...I wonder if they are thinking about tagging Hatcher now....Get one more year out of him. Then cut him loose.