Twitter: NFL Salary Cap to rise to $133mil - Post #67

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot of those teams already had room they weren't using. Giving them more room not to use, while it's technically an equivalent advantage, practically it'll do nothing for them.

That actually isn't true any more. There is a salary floor where each team has a minimum they have to spend. I couldn't tell you exactly how much it is but I know it's pretty high.

slick325

Reaction score
The first four years of the CBA are price controlled. Its the reason why the NFLPA demanded the floor for the time frame. We have been seeing modest increases but it bears to reason that with the controls being lifted and a new TV contract signed that the cap will increase at a greater rate than the controlled rate.

Expenses are not factored into the cap amount. It's based on revenues.

This......the Cowboys and others have offset the price control by having restructure features in most big contracts. Smart considering they are fully aware of the cap projections going forward. Humors me
greatly when I read the amount of angst regarding the cap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Jerry was so excited to hear this news that he rushed to sign Bruce Carter to a two-year $50,000,000.00 contract! :D

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Please don't tag Hatcher.

We won't tag Hatcher. No one is going to give him huge money. Now, if we are talking about getting him back for what amounts to 8 mill over his first two years (plus whatever nonsense is tacked on to the end of the deal) then I think it would be a solid move

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That actually isn't true any more. There is a salary floor where each team has a minimum they have to spend. I couldn't tell you exactly how much it is but I know it's pretty high.

According to the CBA's Article 12, Section 9:

A) For each of the following four-League Year periods, 201 3-201 6 and 2017-2020, there shall be a guaranteed Minimum Team Cash Spending of 89% of theSalary Caps for such periods (e.g., if the Salary Caps for the 2013-1 6 and 2017-2020 are$100, 120, 1 30, and 1 50 million, respectively, each Club shall have a Minimum Team Cash Spending for that period of $445 million (89% of $500 million)).

If a team fails to meet that standard, the CBA continues:

B) Any shortfall in the Minimum Team Cash Spending at the end of a League Year in which it is applicable (i.e., the 2016 and 2020 League Years) shall be paid,on or before the next September 15, by the Team having such shortfall, directly to the players who were on such a Team's roster at any time during the applicable seasons, pursuant to the reasonable allocation instructions of the NFLPA.
http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/2/17/3997314/nfl-salary-cap-2013-amount-salary-floor

Next Years Champ

Reaction score
$7m increase is humongous.

Yes it is.

If Ware will redo and Austin would come back at an incentive deal..

the bleeding and potential loss of needed talent abates.

Whooppy!!

Coupled with us winning the coin flip to get the 16th spot..

The draft is shaping up to be a huge thing for us.

Just pray this is a turning point.

Nirvana

Reaction score
Looking over DT contracts of the top guys, the guaranteed money for their contracts looks like this:

Suh: 23.2 mill
McCoy: 20.8
Darreus: 20.4
Rubin: 18
Wilfork: 18

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Looking over DT contracts of the top guys, the guaranteed money for their contracts looks like this:

Suh: 23.2 mill
McCoy: 20.8
Darreus: 20.4
Rubin: 18
Wilfork: 18

Those are SB -- some of the guys had more in guarantees

Suh is 27, McCoy 25, Dareus 24, Rubin is 27,'Fork is was like 28 when he got that deal plus he's a multi time probowler.

Hatcher will be 32 when the season starts. He is a solid player with one truly outstanding season.

Guaranteeing 8 mill or so seems reasonable in that context

Nirvana

Reaction score
Those are SB -- some of the guys had more in guarantees

Suh is 27, McCoy 25, Dareus 24, Rubin is 27,'Fork is was like 28 when he got that deal plus he's a multi time probowler.

Hatcher will be 32 when the season starts. He is a solid player with one truly outstanding season.

Guaranteeing 8 mill or so seems reasonable in that context

Ok I may have read the site wrong where I got that info. 8 mill seems low but I like your number.

http://overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=DT

burmafrd

Reaction score
Those in this thread who don't think this helps us are abominably bad at both math and common-sense...

of course it helps. But not as much as many like to think. And once again since we cannot know what next years numbers will be it makes it hard to do a big contract.

dbonham

Reaction score
This may adversely affect our negotiations with Ware- can't act like the cap is forcing our hand now

PoetTree

Reaction score
of course it helps. But not as much as many like to think. And once again since we cannot know what next years numbers will be it makes it hard to do a big contract.

I think it helps by exactly $7 million...
.... having to get $15 under the cap is, ya know, $7 million better than having to get $22 million under.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

NFL just signed a new tv deal. the cap jump nearly doubled this yr than what was expected. Next yr when the revenue for the for the tv deal takes effect it was said the cap would jump again atleast 5 mil. Its not out of the question for it to double again.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I think it helps by exactly $7 million...
.... having to get $15 under the cap is, ya know, $7 million better than having to get $22 million under.

reading comprehension is your friend....

when doing big contracts you need to allocate so much for each year...

you do realize that, right?

burmafrd

Reaction score
NFL just signed a new tv deal. the cap jump nearly doubled this yr than what was expected. Next yr when the revenue for the for the tv deal takes effect it was said the cap would jump again atleast 5 mil. Its not out of the question for it to double again.

It could happen but no one will know until all the expenses are figured out. That is why every year no one can put a firm figure on the cap. Last year they added to the cap late in the spring; the year before it actually was lower then originally thought.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
It could happen but no one will know until all the expenses are figured out. That is why every year no one can put a firm figure on the cap. Last year they added to the cap late in the spring; the year before it actually was lower then originally thought.

I agree, like this yr they thought it wouldnt jump much. But just looking at that deal with CBS theres no doubt it will rise, but how much is the question. Im more inclined to think it will be higher rather then lower just on the amount of money that was in the deal.