NFL says Gates must sit out against Dallas

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
SAN DIEGO (AP) - Antonio Gates signed a $380,000, one-year contract Sunday night to end his holdout with the San Diego Chargers.

The record-setting tight end still appears headed for a three-game suspension, including the season-opener against Dallas, for missing a team-imposed deadline to report to camp.

In a new twist to the Chargers' most-pressing saga, general manager A.J. Smith seemed bewildered by reports quoting Gates' agent, Andre Colona, as saying that commissioner Paul Tagliabue can shorten the suspension if requested by the Chargers.

"If there's some development here that you all are reporting, and there is a hearing and the commissioner says he can come back to the San Diego Chargers for Dallas, I think that would be unbelievable," Smith said during a news conference at halftime of an exhibition game against St. Louis.

"That's exciting. But you guys are way ahead of me on that. But we'll explore, weigh the options, and go from there."

An NFL spokesman, though, said there doesn't appear to be any way to reverse the process set in motion by the Chargers in an attempt to break an impasse in negotiations for a multiyear deal for Gates, who was named All-Pro in just his second season.

The team sent Colona a letter more than a week ago ordering Gates to be in camp and sign a contract by Saturday, or be put on the Roster Exempt List once he does sign, triggering a three-game suspension.

"Once the letter is sent, the player is out," spokesman Steve Alic said Sunday.

If Gates had met the deadline, he'd be OK, Alic said.

Now, "he'll be able to suit up for week two of the regular season," Alic said.

Smith said the Chargers checked with the NFL management council before sending the letter and were told "100 percent that you can't get your player back. That's pretty strong. It affects us, too, now. Not only is Antonio out of the game, but the Chargers are out of the tight end in the game. But we understood that when the letter was delivered."

Said Alic: "I've spoken to the management council today just to double-check what I know, and that is the case, 100 percent. I'm not aware of any type of appeal process."

Chargers receiver Keenan McCardell, a member of the NFL Players Association Executive Committee, also said he was unaware of any appeals process.

Asked if he regretted sending the letter, Smith said: "Oh no. Absolutely not. Oh, no, no, no, no. We knew if sent the letter, 100 percent we're out the player. We need to get this going. We're not getting anywhere."

Gates had a breakout year in 2004, helping the Chargers go 12-4 and reach the playoffs for the first time in nine seasons. Gates caught 13 touchdown passes _ a league record for tight ends _ and led the Chargers with 81 catches for 964 yards.

As an exclusive-rights free agent, Gates was tendered a one-year contract for $380,000, the minimum for a third-year player. That Chargers say Gates deserves to be paid more, but can't agree with Colona on the number of years or dollar amount of a long-term deal.

Smith said he concurred with Colona that "negotiations are dead in the water. We just can't seem to get it going. We've been at this thing for 10 months. We'll just hopefully keep banging away at it. Andre said Antonio will sign the tender and play for $380,000, then go into the restricted free agent market. So we pretty much have established that."

Next offseason, Gates can receive offers from other clubs. The Chargers would have the right to match any offer.

Colona reportedly said he won't negotiate after the Dallas game.

"It looks like we've got a window now, from when the tender is signed, until Dallas," Smith said.

aikemirv

Reaction score
That Todd Heap contract has messed up San Diego plan there. There is no way he signs for less than Heap got and there is no way SD gives him what Heap got IMO.

Will anyone sign him next year for a boatload and give up the pick associated with it?

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Cardinals. Denny has gotten Bidwell to open up his wallet as of late. They NEED a TE. Bad. I really don't see another glaring need for the Red Birds right now. TE could put them over the top.

Eddie

Reaction score
Man, SD is the cheapest team in the league. They could have offered Gates alittle more to make him happy. That way, it gives them a better chance of re-signing their All Pro TE in 2 years when he becomes a UFA. I can guarantee, after this episode, Gates WILL NOT be a Charger when he turns UFA.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Once it registers to the NFL that Gates will miss the game against Dallas, they will find some way to get him in there... ;)

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
trickblue said:
Once it registers to the NFL that Gates will miss the game against Dallas, they will find some way to get him in there... ;)

They'll create a committee of arbitrators to rule on it. The committee will include several Hall of Fame voters, Chris Berman, Al Michaels, Joe Theismann, Ron Jaworski and Art.

Good luck, Dallas.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Shades of 2003. Next, Clinton Portis will miss the MNF game. Moss will be dinged up at Oakland. People will exclaim how the Cowboys are one of the best in the NFC-- and then the hammer falls as we are caught believing our own hype and get shut out vs. Philadelphia and Kansas City late in the year.

I'd much rather face SD with Antonio Gates. Bring it on straight up.

thssanders

Reaction score
I'll take the wins anyway i can get them. I'm Tired of all these losing seasons...

Champsheart

Reaction score
Chief said:
They'll create a committee of arbitrators to rule on it. The committee will include several Hall of Fame voters, Chris Berman, Al Michaels, Joe Theismann, Ron Jaworski and Art.

Good luck, Dallas.
:laugh2:

Art? That is too much! :bow:

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Chief said:

Good luck, Dallas.
:lmao2:

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
aikemirv said:
That Todd Heap contract has messed up San Diego plan there. There is no way he signs for less than Heap got and there is no way SD gives him what Heap got IMO.

Will anyone sign him next year for a boatload and give up the pick associated with it?
He will be a RFA which gives SD the right to match any offer he agrees to. The team who signs him doesn't have to give up a pick. If he where tagged with the franchise tag then yes they would have to give up a pick 2 first unless it was a sign and trade.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
He will be a RFA which gives SD the right to match any offer he agrees to. The team who signs him doesn't have to give up a pick. If he where tagged with the franchise tag then yes they would have to give up a pick 2 first unless it was a sign and trade.

Incorrect. They could give him a first round tender and any team that signs him away would have to give up a first round pick. It doesn't matter that he wasn't drafted.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
Pay this man !!!

The Mannings where right in strong arming a deal with this org.

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Shades of 2003. Next, Clinton Portis will miss the MNF game. Moss will be dinged up at Oakland. People will exclaim how the Cowboys are one of the best in the NFC-- and then the hammer falls as we are caught believing our own hype and get shut out vs. Philadelphia and Kansas City late in the year.

I'd much rather face SD with Antonio Gates. Bring it on straight up.

Not me. I'll take having him set out because Dallas needs, right now, any breaks that they can get. Even without Gates playing, San Diego is still too strong of an opponent for Dallas to beat straight up. All of this can definitely change as the season progresses and they continue developing their team chemistry, something that's going to take considerable time for a young team to accomplish.

With a Dallas win, they'll quickly gain momentum (along with confidence) and should more than likely start off the season 4-0 when they square off against Philadelphia. This will help bring back the swagger that they have sorely lacked for quite some time now and make them a more formidable adversary once again against the Eagles. I understand what you're saying but as it stands right now, we don't really know what kind of team that we've got until the regular season begins and as far as I'm concerned, we need all of the help that we can get if we hope to start out on the right foot.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
SALADIN said:
Pay this man !!!

The Mannings where right in strong arming a deal with this org.

and Eli and his daddy got to sit home in Jan and watch the other choker Manning get his butt kicked in the playoffs, meanwhile San Diego was winning 12 games and came within a gimmee fg of going to the 2nd rd of the playoffs...

yeah, gotta hand it to those Mannings, they really showed the Chargers :rolleyes:

David

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Hello 8 man fronts and Roy in the box.

Now maybe i can't add, but 9 in the box? cant say id trust newman and henry quite yet to do that, but it would be nice to shutout LT

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967 said:
and Eli and his daddy got to sit home in Jan and watch the other choker Manning get his butt kicked in the playoffs, meanwhile San Diego was winning 12 games and came within a gimmee fg of going to the 2nd rd of the playoffs...

yeah, gotta hand it to those Mannings, they really showed the Chargers :rolleyes:

David
:laugh2: :laugh1: :laugh2:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was my understanding that the Chargers were indeed willing to give VERY good money to Gates for the contract but wanted the contract for around 6 years....while gates and or his agent wanted the contract for 3 years in order to get another big payday pretty quickly.

So let's stop and look at this as not just about the chargers here as once again I have heard they were offering some serious money.

The problem seems to be the team wants a long term deal and the player/agent want a short term deal.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
It was my understanding that the Chargers were indeed willing to give VERY good money to Gates for the contract but wanted the contract for around 6 years....while gates and or his agent wanted the contract for 3 years in order to get another big payday pretty quickly.

So let's stop and look at this as not just about the chargers here as once again I have heard they were offering some serious money.

The problem seems to be the team wants a long term deal and the player/agent want a short term deal.

Bingo.

After one year, Gates reportedly wanted Tony Gonzalez money. And he wanted it on his terms.