NFL Sunday Game Thread

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
I don't know how they fix the problem. Can an official review every play on video and look for penalties? I saw at least half a dozen obvious penalties not called in the Chiefs-Packers game. Same with the 49ers-Eagles game. More importantly, they tried reviewing PI calls and the refs on the field were almost never overturned. It was as if the booth ref was deliberately not overturning any calls. If the video review is not going to be honest and objective then there is no point in adding technology.

I wonder what the refs would say if they were shown the replay of some obvious penalties that were not called, what reason would they give for missing the call? Take the PI that wasn't called on the Packers at the end of the game tonight. What did the refs see that they declined to throw a flag? In the Washington game today, I saw an obvious forceful blow to the head on the Washington QB that wasn't called. Why not? Do the refs review these plays with the league? Does the league inform than that they made a mistake and to get it right next time? I don't know the answers but I suspect such reviews would be helpful to get a more consistent application of the rules. But this would probably require full time refs.
I'm hoping it would just be for obvious misses on plays involving where the ball goes...and it's easy to know which ones those are because we would notice them immediately on the broadcast, just like the announcers do. Those 2 controversial plays at the end of the GB/KC would have been perfect examples. The late hit on Mahomes would have been overturned (it was a bad call but I don't blame the refs for that because in real-time on the field, it would probably look like a late hit out of bounds) and the PI on the downfield throw would have been called.

And also for any pre-snap penalties like false starts, offsides, and missed personal fouls. It's so annoying seeing a missed facemask that the TV replay shows and then they justify it by saying "Well the refs didn't see it so we play on". Those types of misses should be easily caught by a Sky Judge. PI/holdings can be difficult as those are judgement calls but clear-cut penalties like facemasks, horsecollars, etc. should always be enforced if it happened.

I don't think they would be as useful in calling penalties in the trenches but hopefully that's something the on-field refs would be able to focus on more if they knew they had a replay official who could help them in the other aspects.

Motorola

Reaction score
I don't know how they fix the problem. Can an official review every play on video and look for penalties? I saw at least half a dozen obvious penalties not called in the Chiefs-Packers game. Same with the 49ers-Eagles game. More importantly, they tried reviewing PI calls and the refs on the field were almost never overturned. It was as if the booth ref was deliberately not overturning any calls. If the video review is not going to be honest and objective then there is no point in adding technology.

I wonder what the refs would say if they were shown the replay of some obvious penalties that were not called, what reason would they give for missing the call? Take the PI that wasn't called on the Packers at the end of the game tonight. What did the refs see that they declined to throw a flag? In the Washington game today, I saw an obvious forceful blow to the head on the Washington QB that wasn't called. Why not? Do the refs review these plays with the league? Does the league inform than that they made a mistake and to get it right next time? I don't know the answers but I suspect such reviews would be helpful to get a more consistent application of the rules. But this would probably require full time refs.
The league reviews referees' performances throughout the season- it is the system on judging who gets selected to continue working games in the postseason.
As far as egregious calls being subject to follow-up notifications and/or reprimands ---I don’t know.
I do recall in college football and basketball individual officials and crews as a whole being suspended from working their next game scheduled, if they made some really bad calls or had glaring errors that affected the outcomes of games.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It has already been said Tyler is going to be a G going forward. He is playing like a top end G and looked only okay at T. It did not work out how it was expected but now you have another top end G. They are probably going to have to find a new LT, and possibly a new C and RT.

I am still not actually sure what the weaknesses of the 49ers are. I guess you can do something if you have 2 great weapons, but most teams do not have that. Meanwhile to stop their offense you need both a pass rush and an elite secondary that can cover 3 elite receiving threats, while also being able to stop the run.
yeah....we would have to play flawless ball and hope for turnovers and untimely fouls....they can just crush you and made eagles look mediocre...they did same

to us....Deebo looks like a linebacker who runs fast and CMC is a brute in a small package.....we dont have linebacker except for Parsons who can stop them

the Chiefs would maybe be a miracle to even make it to superbowl but they cant stay up with 9ers....we need a top tier LT soon and put Tyron as swing tackle

our RT is off first year of ACL and it takes two years to fully recover...watched tape how that leg he overcompensates for...he cant handle Bosa we need

another TE close by to chip...maybe chip and run into the flat?...i aint no coach or scheme maker...that Purdy is playing in a system made just for him

i get excited and hope for miracles...which can happen....but probablities dont favor us representing NFC in super bowl....but i will get all HOMER for fun

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The league reviews referees' performances throughout the season- it is the system on judging who gets selected to continue working games in the postseason.
As far as egregious calls being subject to follow-up notifications and/or reprimands ---I don’t know.
I do recall in college football and basketball individual officials and crews as a whole being suspended from working their next game scheduled, if they made some really bad calls or had glaring errors that affected the outcomes of games.
if it is egregious a fine should be implemented....they sure do for the players....you get fined for talking bad about refs after game in post game interviews

but i dont remember obvious calls being missed so much....its hard to think they just miss these every time?....but i dont want to get all conspiratorial

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment.

The officiating wasn't this bad (or at least it didn't seem so) forty or fifty years ago, when there were smaller crews & no modern cameras, technology, etc. to assist. Of course, today's rulebook is likely ten times the size & infinitely more complex than the one used in the "let 'em play" days. The sport has become far too rigid & legalistic, impacting fan enjoyment of the game, and turning rough-and-tumble sporting events into something resembling ponderous episodes of Court TV...where we sit on the edge of our seats several times an hour (in between commercials) awaiting "rulings" on what we've seen occur in real time, in the blink of an eye.
Mark---did you watch the Chiefs play Green Bay tonight?....one of the most egregious non calls where a Chief receiver was mugged far before ball arrived

it was not even close to what some call a "bang bang" play....even all people on sidelines saw it and were farther away in worse angle....how could it be

be possible the ref close to play did not see the mugging???....impossible....and receiver would have most likely caught that ball...perfect throw downfield

by Mahommes......it cost them a chance to tie and go into overtime.....i just hate it when refs determine who wins and loses?

BoysForLife

Reaction score
The CFP committee got it right with the best 4 teams in the playoffs. Sore losers for everyone else.
Mark this under things I thought I'd never say but I agree with Rockport on this one

Don't really see how anyone can say that FSU is a better team than Bama or Texas

If QB 1 wasn't injured we're not having this discussion but key player injuries are explicitly included in the criteria for determining playoff teams

It's a bad break for FSU, but the committee got it correct according to the stated criteria

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Mark this under things I thought I'd never say but I agree with Rockport on this one

Don't really see how anyone can say that FSU is a better team than Bama or Texas

If QB 1 wasn't injured we're not having this discussion but key player injuries are explicitly included in the criteria for determining playoff teams

It's a bad break for FSU, but the committee got it correct according to the stated criteria
Someone with a valid case was going to get left out but the egregious error was Georgia. They would have an excellent chance of beating any of the other teams. Championship playoff is supposed to be about who the best teams are. The committee wants ratings & fan bases engaged.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Someone with a valid case was going to get left out but the egregious error was Georgia. They would have an excellent chance of beating any of the other teams. Championship playoff is supposed to be about who the best teams are. The committee wants ratings & fan bases engaged.
I agree that Georgia is still one of the best teams but the reality is their fate was sealed by an off day vs Bama.
Bama beating them got Bama in as a 1 loss conference champ.
And at that point, you knew Texas was in as also a 1 loss conference champ who beat Bama by double digits on their own field (I know Bama is much better now than they were then but it's still a 10 point win in Tuscaloosa)

Georgia would have been first in of the non conf champ group but unfortunately for them they had an off day at hte wrong time and it cost them.

JustChip

Reaction score
I agree that Georgia is still one of the best teams but the reality is their fate was sealed by an off day vs Bama.
Bama beating them got Bama in as a 1 loss conference champ.
And at that point, you knew Texas was in as also a 1 loss conference champ who beat Bama by double digits on their own field (I know Bama is much better now than they were then but it's still a 10 point win in Tuscaloosa)

Georgia would have been first in of the non conf champ group but unfortunately for them they had an off day at hte wrong time and it cost them.
Essentially, the conference championships are a de facto first round of the playoffs.

Creeper

Reaction score
I know the leagues says they do this and I suspect they do something. But what is the process? How does it work? Does the league review every play and look for what was missed? I suspect not/ I think the point is players get better by reviewing film and going over what they did right and what they did wrong with their coaches. I am pretty sure the refs do not do this because they only work on weekends. So how do refs get better?