NFL Sunday Game Thread

Mark

Reaction score
Everyone knows you don't get a PI call on a "Hail Mary." That said, it didn't look like Kelce could have gotten to the ball anyway.

That other Packers coverage play, though...that was egregious. As was the phantom PI call on the Mahomes hit.

I hate it when the referees blow every other call, but you still can't tell whose side they're on. ;-)

Motorola

Reaction score
KC's ride at the top is coming to an end. All the signs are there.
A Broncos win earlier today would have put the Chiefs' feet to the fire.
Two game division lead with five games left.
However - Ravens and Dolphins appear that they can dethrone the perennial AFCGG participants.

Motorola

Reaction score
Everyone knows you don't get a PI call on a "Hail Mary." That said, it didn't look like Kelce could have gotten to the ball anyway.

That other Packers coverage play, though...that was egregious. As was the phantom PI call on the Mahomes hit.

I hate it when the referees blow every other call, but you still can't tell whose side they're on. ;-)
Make-up calls always in the mix.
Blew the unnecessary roughness call with Mahomes still in bounds... so they overlooked the blatant PI on the Packers.

Motorola

Reaction score
Ravens are 9-3 but aren't all that. Miami 9-3 but yet to beat a winning team. KC doesn't have any WR's and leaky defense. Buffalo .500, Texans aren't winning with a rookie QB. Bengals are done without Burrows.
Don't really see anyone over there.
You state KC has a leaky defense - but pointwise they've only given up 21, 24, and 21 in their losses - and 27 tonight.
20, 9, 17, and 19 points scored in their defeats--- it is the Chiefs' offense that is coming up short.

Last edited:

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It didn’t hurt the Chiefs last season but it’s rearing its ugly head this season. No way would I have traded Tyreek Hill unless there were two number one picks involved and even then I’m not sure I would do it.
i almost fell over backward when they gave away Tyreek Hill...remember Darrel Green DB for Washington who played long career...at 50 he still clocked

a 4.5 40...i saw the video....it reminds me of 2018 when Jerrah decided we dont need premiere receivers we can get by with substandard ones then

we traded a first to get Cooper who is still faking db's out of their jocks for Cleveland...we let him go for a 5th??come on man just cause he dont

want Covid vaccines they are finding not as good as once thought.....he was not a trouble maker and good for locker room and mostly humble

boy we could use him now...he was willing to wheel and deal...it was our management who became so ruled oriented we let him go for nothing

and it was Cooper who turned our 3-5 Cowboys in 2018 to finish last half 7-1 and win first wild card against Hawks....burns me up

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I guess you missed the ridiculous penalty against GB on MaHolmes shortly before that? :huh:
mr Tabasco---that was one of the worst muggings of all time?...not even close to a bang bang play...come one everyone on sidelines who had worst view

then ref had....you tell me they are that incompetent?...either that are we got something more wrong going on....i never remember in times past where

officiating was so poor as now....they need to make refs a full time job with offseason training in their craft and pay them accordingly.....and what happens

afterward to these refs?...you better not say anything bad against them post game....as some coaches willing to take big fine anyway....remember in 2019

they allowed coaches to red flag either one or two fouls or non calls...and if you lose then you lose a time out....but that stopped after one year...the receiver

would have caught that ball most likely and Chiefs could have tied it into overtime...then who knows what???...it steals justice from the game

Adreme

Reaction score
Ravens are 9-3 but aren't all that. Miami 9-3 but yet to beat a winning team. KC doesn't have any WR's and leaky defense. Buffalo .500, Texans aren't winning with a rookie QB. Bengals are done without Burrows.
Don't really see anyone over there.
Aren’t all that seems like a stretch when I have seen them pound every good opponent into the dirt. My argument against them is they can play down to the competition but that isn’t a thing in the playoffs.

You could do what you did to every team but the 49ers and Ravens.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You state KC has a leaky defense - but pointwise they've only given up 21, 24, and 21 in their losses - and 27 tonight.
20, 9, 17, and 19 points scored in their defeats--- it is the Chiefs' offense that is coming up short.
cause KC ( and it was nor Reid) thought Mahommes majic could get by with substandard receivers...and often he does....but Chiefs need to pay or trade picks

for good receivers for Mahommes.....he is till the best QB in my book.....and young still....if he had Dallas recievers KC best team in NFL

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Aren’t all that seems like a stretch when I have seen them pound every good opponent into the dirt. My argument against them is they can play down to the competition but that isn’t a thing in the playoffs.

You could do what you did to every team but the 49ers and Ravens.
i still think with pouring through tape we can exploit SF weaknesses which are not many....if we ever play them again...which i sure hope we do....OC and DC must

develop scheme and gameplan of the century and move Parsons and some other lighter LB's around....put 9 on the line and some rush some back out and our

rushers crash Purdy hard....he is not perfect....and we need to get our O line playing best ever....take no plays off....move our defensive players in and out

in waves....develop game plan plays and scheme that is not on tape...we can beat 9ers and Sheagles and rip off their skirts.....Dak can now carry a team we

all saw it....before we most all agreed Dak was not capapble of carrying team but proved us all wrong against Hawks...we are Peeking perfect time and with

mini-bye rest defense....and play all out...our defense is young.....Tyron Smith is having under radar fantastic year...but we must get new LT soon....i think

moving Tyler to LT will decrease his fouls too...cause just like he told reporter..."i dont like being a lineman i just want to destroy guy in front of me"...we got

to get Tyron replacment in draft or trade and Tyron will be our swing tackle for couple 3 more years...he is still an animal

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Blew the unnecessary roughness call with Mahomes still in bounds... so they overlooked the blatant PI on the Packers.
but overlooking DPI was far worse then ghost call against Mahommes....could have tied game then OT...won game...but we will never know for since they

scrapped being able to challenge foul or non call.....a ref can play dumb...even when those farther away on sidelines saw it was seconds away from bang

bang play...so Obvious...how is that a on purpose non call?????...can someone explain it to me???....no i did not think so

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Mark---it steals obvious "Justice" from the game...and puts it in hands of refs.....with the poor calling far worse than times past one day we will find out

something nefarious was going on....i watched a ref that was 2 feet away from obvious call and did not see it and nothing to appeal ....hurts the game

when non professional fans see it plain as day

Creeper

Reaction score
The refs were awful. The play where #10 got ejected should have been offsetting penalties. The Chiefs guy was on the ground and the Packers guy was blocking him on the ground. You can't do that. There was holding and hands to the face that weren't called either. NFL officiating is so inconsistent and unpredictable it is almost a joke.

Adreme

Reaction score
i still think with pouring through tape we can exploit SF weaknesses which are not many....if we ever play them again...which i sure hope we do....OC and DC must

develop scheme and gameplan of the century and move Parsons and some other lighter LB's around....put 9 on the line and some rush some back out and our

rushers crash Purdy hard....he is not perfect....and we need to get our O line playing best ever....take no plays off....move our defensive players in and out

in waves....develop game plan plays and scheme that is not on tape...we can beat 9ers and Sheagles and rip off their skirts.....Dak can now carry a team we

all saw it....before we most all agreed Dak was not capapble of carrying team but proved us all wrong against Hawks...we are Peeking perfect time and with

mini-bye rest defense....and play all out...our defense is young.....Tyron Smith is having under radar fantastic year...but we must get new LT soon....i think

moving Tyler to LT will decrease his fouls too...cause just like he told reporter..."i dont like being a lineman i just want to destroy guy in front of me"...we got

to get Tyron replacment in draft or trade and Tyron will be our swing tackle for couple 3 more years...he is still an animal
It has already been said Tyler is going to be a G going forward. He is playing like a top end G and looked only okay at T. It did not work out how it was expected but now you have another top end G. They are probably going to have to find a new LT, and possibly a new C and RT.

I am still not actually sure what the weaknesses of the 49ers are. I guess you can do something if you have 2 great weapons, but most teams do not have that. Meanwhile to stop their offense you need both a pass rush and an elite secondary that can cover 3 elite receiving threats, while also being able to stop the run.

rambo2

Reaction score
I said during the Packer vs Detroit game that the league would do everything they could to get wittle wuvable Gween Bay in the playoffs....unbelievable no call at the 5 yard line.
That was 1 official, not the league.

Motorola

Reaction score
The refs were awful. The play where #10 got ejected should have been offsetting penalties. The Chiefs guy was on the ground and the Packers guy was blocking him on the ground. You can't do that. There was holding and hands to the face that weren't called either. NFL officiating is so inconsistent and unpredictable it is almost a joke.
At this point it's going to take the head coaches standing up together and complaining publicly (away from the games\ this season) to get this mess straightened out IMO.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Another year of football where we wonder why won't the owners ever approve having a Sky Judge/video ref. Every year it's the same thing, same complaints about refs not being up to standard. At this point, the human beings on the field are never going to get it completely right. You can try to train refs as much as possible or replace them with younger refs. It doesn't matter - the game moves too fast, the athletes are too good, and there are so many distractions in the environment like music, PA announcers, visual effects in the stadiums, etc.

That's why there needs to be a Sky Judge who can use modern day technology to help the on-field refs get it right. They can get replays in as fast as the TV broadcast and can take a few quick replays to confirm a missed penalty or turnover, There shouldn't be a concern that it would slow down the game too much. There are already many other stoppages during a game anyway, like injuries, ref discussions, etc. For a stop/start sport like football, it just doesn't make sense to not have it. Same with the robot umpire technology in baseball.

Mark

Reaction score
Mark---it steals obvious "Justice" from the game...and puts it in hands of refs.....with the poor calling far worse than times past one day we will find out
I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment.

The officiating wasn't this bad (or at least it didn't seem so) forty or fifty years ago, when there were smaller crews & no modern cameras, technology, etc. to assist. Of course, today's rulebook is likely ten times the size & infinitely more complex than the one used in the "let 'em play" days. The sport has become far too rigid & legalistic, impacting fan enjoyment of the game, and turning rough-and-tumble sporting events into something resembling ponderous episodes of Court TV...where we sit on the edge of our seats several times an hour (in between commercials) awaiting "rulings" on what we've seen occur in real time, in the blink of an eye.

Creeper

Reaction score
Another year of football where we wonder why won't the owners ever approve having a Sky Judge/video ref. Every year it's the same thing, same complaints about refs not being up to standard. At this point, the human beings on the field are never going to get it completely right. You can try to train refs as much as possible or replace them with younger refs. It doesn't matter - the game moves too fast, the athletes are too good, and there are so many distractions in the environment like music, PA announcers, visual effects in the stadiums, etc.

That's why there needs to be a Sky Judge who can use modern day technology to help the on-field refs get it right. They can get replays in as fast as the TV broadcast and can take a few quick replays to confirm a missed penalty or turnover, There shouldn't be a concern that it would slow down the game too much. There are already many other stoppages during a game anyway, like injuries, ref discussions, etc. For a stop/start sport like football, it just doesn't make sense to not have it. Same with the robot umpire technology in baseball.
I don't know how they fix the problem. Can an official review every play on video and look for penalties? I saw at least half a dozen obvious penalties not called in the Chiefs-Packers game. Same with the 49ers-Eagles game. More importantly, they tried reviewing PI calls and the refs on the field were almost never overturned. It was as if the booth ref was deliberately not overturning any calls. If the video review is not going to be honest and objective then there is no point in adding technology.

I wonder what the refs would say if they were shown the replay of some obvious penalties that were not called, what reason would they give for missing the call? Take the PI that wasn't called on the Packers at the end of the game tonight. What did the refs see that they declined to throw a flag? In the Washington game today, I saw an obvious forceful blow to the head on the Washington QB that wasn't called. Why not? Do the refs review these plays with the league? Does the league inform than that they made a mistake and to get it right next time? I don't know the answers but I suspect such reviews would be helpful to get a more consistent application of the rules. But this would probably require full time refs.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The sport has become far too rigid & legalistic, impacting fan enjoyment of the game, and turning rough-and-tumble sporting events into something resembling ponderous episodes of Court TV
This right here may be the most apt description of the modern NFL that I have ever come across.

The sheer volume and complexity of rules is absolutely ludicrous at this point. It has undeniably resulted in a lower quality product.

I watched a replay of Super Bowl XII the other day and was floored by how few penalties there were. The athletes and gameplay were the focal point rather than officiating. It was beautiful. I wish we could return to something like what we had in the past, but I fear that Pandora’s box has been opened.