NFL wants to start ejecting players for flagrant helmet-to-helmet hits

31Rwilliams

Benched
Reaction score
From Yahoo Sports:

NEW YORK (AP) -- The NFL has told its officiating crews to start ejecting players for flagrant helmet-to-helmet hits.

The new policy was outlined Saturday in a memo from supervisor of officials Mike Pereira, which was obtained by The Associated Press. It followed two fines last weekend for what the officiating department had determined were hits against players in defenseless positions.

One fine was against Washington Commanders safety LaRon Landry, who will forfeit a game check of $16,764 for a helmet-to-helmet hit on New York Jets quarterback Kellen Clemens. The other was against Philadelphia defensive tackle LeJuan Ramsey, who was fined his game check of $21,176 for spearing Dallas' Julius Jones.

Two weeks ago, San Diego cornerback Drayton Florence was fined $15,000 for a helmet-to-helmet hit that gave Houston quarterback Matt Schaub a concussion.

"Officials will be reminded this week to pay strict attention to these rules and disqualify the fouling player if the action is judged to be flagrant," Pereira wrote in the memo sent to the 32 NFL teams. "Actions that involve flagrant helmet to helmet contact are the likely acts that will include disqualification. Our commissioner and this office remain very focused on the safety of our players."

In the memo fining Landry and Ramsey, NFL director of football operations Gene Washington said emphasis would be on hits against players in defenseless positions.

Landry previously was fined $7,500 for two unnecessary roughness violations on Oct. 21 against Arizona. Ramsey was fined $5,000 on Oct. 14 for roughing the passer against the Jets.

After Florence was fined, the Texans complained that the punishment wasn't severe enough.

"We are disappointed in the sense that we have lost our starting quarterback for at least one game after the player took the crown of his helmet and delivered an illegal blow to Matt's jaw and the fine levied is only a small fraction of the player's weekly pay," general manager Rick Smith said.

Aikbach

Reaction score
So the Patriots and Commanders may be losing safties very soon.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
Aikbach;1754987 said:

That would be a darn shame, too! :)

I'm glad something is being done about cheap shots like that.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
As Al Michaels said on Sunday night, if any late hit warranted an ejection, it was the one by Ramsey. That was a classic cheap shot. I expected no less from the Eagles, though...

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Aikbach;1754987 said:

no doubt. Sean Taylor leads with his helmet on almost every tackle.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
TheSkaven;1754993 said:
As Al Michaels said on Sunday night, if any late hit warranted an ejection, it was the one by Ramsey. That was a classic cheap shot. I expected no less from the Eagles, though...

Really? I expect that and A LOT less from them.

Less meaning "less class" or "less sportsmanship". Yeah, I expect a lot "less" from them.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Thehoofbite;1754994 said:
no doubt. Sean Taylor leads with his helmet on almost every tackle.

Its Landry that has already been fined twice for it in only an 8 game career.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
TheSkaven;1754993 said:

I have a hard time believing the helmet to helmet hit on Witten wasn't a flagrant hit also. The fact Witten became Madden's cult hero is beside the point.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Cowboys22;1755007 said:
Its Landry that has already been fined twice for it in only an 8 game career.

I wouldn't necessarily refer to Landry as "dirty" though. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, it's just that rookies sometimes need to change their game in the NFL cuz there's stuff you can't do that you CAN do in College.

That said, that helmet to helmet his last week was a dirty play. No doubt.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
FLcowboy;1755014 said:
I have a hard time believing the helmet to helmet hit on Witten wasn't a flagrant hit also. The fact Witten became Madden's cult hero is beside the point.

Both Witten's feet were on the ground. By definition he wasn't "Defenseless" so it wasn't flagrant. I don't even think it was a penalty. Not the helmet to helmet part of it anyway. You could make a case that it was spearing though.

There should of been a penalty on the CB for pulling the helmet off though. The Ref probably thought it came off from the helmet to helmet hit.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Rack;1755019 said:
Both Witten's feet were on the ground. By definition he wasn't "Defenseless" so it wasn't flagrant. I don't even think it was a penalty. Not the helmet to helmet part of it anyway. You could make a case that it was spearing though.

There should of been a penalty on the CB for pulling the helmet off though. The Ref probably thought it came off from the helmet to helmet hit.

While it didn't draw a penalty, it did draw a fine from the league office.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
tomson75;1755022 said:
While it didn't draw a penalty, it did draw a fine from the league office.

Yeah I know. I don't know what the fine was for though. Was it for helmet to helmet contact on a defenseless WR, or for leading with the crown of his helmet (spearing)?

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Rack;1755020 said:

haha I didn't think so.

I understand its dangerous but the sport is a dangerous game.

I have a hard time accepting all these rules and punishments along with the fines for certain hits and the blow to the face non-sense.

Where are you actually allowed to hit a QB? You cant go high and now you can't go low. Its like pitching a baseball where you have to hit a strike zone.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
smarta5150;1755028 said:
haha I didn't think so.

I understand its dangerous but the sport is a dangerous game.

I have a hard time accepting all these rules and punishments along with the fines for certain hits and the blow to the face non-sense.

Where are you actually allowed to hit a QB? You cant go high and now you can't go low. Its like pitching a baseball where you have to hit a strike zone.

No kidding. Except in football the strike zone moves.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Aikbach;1754987 said:

You're assuming the league would enforce any rule against the Patriots. For once I'd like to see them call Harrison for his constant tugging of receiver's jerseys. Or perhaps his faculty for spearing his helmet into downed ball carrier's backs well after the play is dead.

YAKUZA

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Rack;1755029 said:
No kidding. Except in football the strike zone moves.

It really is ridiculous.

And then you have the "hitting a defenseless receiver."

Which we all know as Cowboy fans is a crazy and unnecessary flag (IE last years game against the Lions).

So if the WR has a foot or 2 on the ground you can break him in half but if he's in the air he isnt game?

I wish I was a 60 year old man sometimes so I could have watched the days of the clothesline :) :chainsaw:

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Rack;1755026 said:
Yeah I know. I don't know what the fine was for though. Was it for helmet to helmet contact on a defenseless WR, or for leading with the crown of his helmet (spearing)?

Hmmm, I'm not sure actually. I can't remember where I read it, and I'm not sure it specified what it was for. I'll look for it.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Joe Paterno actually said that the way to curb concussions and leading with the helmet is simple -- Remove the facemasks.

Sounds insane at first but helmets have evolved into a weapon. How many players would lead with their helmet if there was a good chance they'd break their nose?