NFL wants to start ejecting players for flagrant helmet-to-helmet hits

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1755042 said:
Joe Paterno actually said that the way to curb concussions and leading with the helmet is simple -- Remove the facemasks.

Sounds insane at first but helmets have evolved into a weapon. How many players would lead with their helmet if there was a good chance they'd break their nose?

:lmao2:

What a great quote. He is a crazy old man but what a clever idea.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Removing the facemask would be completely dumb. You'd have a LB wrapped up on a RB (with his face to the side, obviously), then comes the safety (face also to the side) and proceeds to break the LBs face.

IMO if a player is hitting with his "facemask" it's not that big a deal. It's when they lead with the crown of their helmet that causes problems.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
AmishCowboy;1755162 said:
Think Roy might be targeted?.

For some reason, Roy has not been laying the wood like he used to do. It seems since he found religion, he's backed off...

:eek:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Rack;1755026 said:
Yeah I know. I don't know what the fine was for though. Was it for helmet to helmet contact on a defenseless WR, or for leading with the crown of his helmet (spearing)?

it was for leading w/ his helmet period

your helmet can't come in contact w/ another player's helmet

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet we'll see certain teams like the Cheats, Whiners and Squealers get away with flagrant hits this weekend. I wouldn't be surprised that the Cowboys have someone ejected for an incidental, ticky tacky contact before a Cheatriot is ejected for a flagrant violation.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
5Stars;1755166 said:
For some reason, Roy has not been laying the wood like he used to do. It seems since he found religion, he's backed off...

There are rumblings that Roy has a bad shoulder.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Saw that earlier as well.

Seems the NFL has told the refs to watch for it and call for an ejection if something like that happens again.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
I'm ok for blatant spearing and late hits.

But this is football going at full speed and there will be helmet on helmet hits. Maybe they can stert to fine networks for airing top hits of the week.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
If the NFL is REALLY commited to stopping this type of hit, they would have suspended the guilty parties for this week's games. They're simply trying to put on a front about these kinds of hits.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
smarta5150;1755018 said:
Did they call helmet to helmet in the 60s and 70s?
No, but now you have those same guys from the 60s and 70s with all matters of brain damage from such plays.
5Stars;1755166 said:

It's not religion, it's age. :rolleyes:

After awhile those hits you dish out catches up with you and you feel it more than the person you tackled. He's said as much in an article a few weeks ago.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aikbach;1754987 said:
So the Patriots and Commanders may be losing safties very soon.

No they the Patriots will edit the VIDEO showing they did not take a cheap shot. And rhe Commanders will just turn in the game film and cry it was a bad call.

It has to be a Cowboys player to actully get called, so they can name the rule after him first.