NFLDraftCountdown

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
All this draft discussion is so premature as to be stupid.

There is something coming up this March called free agency.

One thing I can say about Jones before this year is that he at least attempts to address our needs in FA allowing us to go BPA.

If Miami lands Alexander or SF Brees then all of these drafts become jokes.

Take all of those 3 games you saw of player X and become prognosticators of draft excellence.

I hope we draft DJ if for no other reason some of you will shut up.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
One thing to take into consideration....

all the boos in NY for the draft when Parcells was running things in NY for the JEts.

Parcells loves to shock people during the draft and almost never takes the guy anyone even thinks is a possibility...he used to drive the Jets fans in NY crazy...they'd all be cheering for a top echelon player who dropped into their laps in the first round, and then Parcells would pick a guy like Jason Fabini who was slated for the end of the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

Parcells almost never does the obvious and loves to select guys that are barely a blurb in most draft books.

nathanlt

Reaction score
PJCOWBOYS said:
http://www.draftace.com/mockdraft.htm

11. Dallas Cowboys

Derrick Johnson OLB Texas
Johnson is a true playmaker and would fall no further than here. He's a big physical linebacker, just like Parcells likes. Should develop into an All-Pro linebacker within just a few seasons.

18. Dallas Cowboys (f/Buf) (Wrong, Should be #20)

Elton Brown OG Virginia
This is very early for an offensive guard, but Brown is a special player, much like current Cowboy Larry Allen. The Cowboys line must be able to protect their QB, either Henson or Testeverde, in 2005.

Elton Brown has key question marks in his bio from nfldraftcountdown. He sounds too much like Gurode for Dallas to take him. David Baas sounds like he's ready for the pros TODAY.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I don't know what question marks those supposedly are, but Elton Brown has dominated each and every time I've seen him play.

In a very weak draft, you could do worse than Brown at #20 if you're using the BPA approach ... who might be one of the few players in this draft who could go be a perenial Pro Bowler (although, not at a premium position).

nathanlt

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I don't know what question marks those supposedly are, but Elton Brown has dominated each and every time I've seen him play.

In a very weak draft, you could do worse than Brown at #20 if you're using the BPA approach ... who might be one of the few players in this draft who could go be a perenial Pro Bowler (although, not at a premium position).

Well, specifically, it mentioned that he doesn't give his best effort every time. That seems like the trademark of someone who won't last under Parcells. Parcells just doesn't have patience for guys like that. Here's nfldraftcountdown's analysis for each player.

Elton Brown's weaknesses:
Weaknesses: Doesn't always play up to his potential...Lacks consistency and won't be able to get away with giving less than maximum effort in the pros...Has had some small, nagging injuries throughout his career...Can still improve in pass protection...Technique needs work.

David Baas weaknesses:
Weaknesses: Needs to continue getting bigger and adding bulk with his size being the biggest question mark...Has only marginal pure athletic ability...Struggles when asked to get downfield

I didn't copy both strengths and weaknesses, I did this just to make my point. The "doesn't always play up to his potential" part gives Brown the greatest likelihood of dropping off when it comes to the pros.

ghettogandhi

Reaction score
i wish you would stop sullying merriman name and game- he is the best Md player since Kris Jenkins - who by the way I was on this board begging the boys to take him early in the second - instead we go quincy and dixon- the worst draft ever.
boysfanindc said:
I would rather have DJ at #11, I watched every game Merriman played this year. He is a very good player, but only dominates occassionally. Not like Hendersen did every game.

At #20 I would rather have Corey Webster. He think he has a much bigger upside.

Reaction score
Carlos Rogers at 20? :blech:

Yet another first round pick wasted on the secondary.

The emphasis on not allowing contact by CBs has rendered the position irrelevant.

Get us someone who can rush the passer and a young, fast WR in the first.

S. Fla Sting

Reaction score
I have seen Rogers, Rolle, Miller, and Jackson play this year and Rogers did not have as good as a year as either of these guys except maybe Jackson. Rogers had a great bowl game, but not a great year. While I believe Rogers will be a solid player, there are atleast 2 or 3 better CBs coming out this year.

cowboys19

Reaction score
I remember a few years ago the Jets drafted i think Abraham, Ellis, Pennington, and some other guy in the first round. all the Jets fans were booing Parcells.

WEll look at them now, all of those players are great.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
cowboys19 said:
I remember a few years ago the Jets drafted i think Abraham, Ellis, Pennington, and some other guy in the first round. all the Jets fans were booing Parcells.

WEll look at them now, all of those players are great.

The other guy was Becht who has been solid but never spectacular. He was actually picked ahead of Bubba Franks.

Can you imagine having four first round picks? Talk about a rarity...