NFLDraftShark-based mock draft

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I found a site that ranks top 100 boards based on how many of their picks actually get taken in the top 100. https://www.thehuddlereport.com/top100.scores.shtml

Based on that, I tried to look for some of those top draft "experts"/sites that had a full board out. This mock is based on one of those sites, nfldraftshark.com http://www.nfldraftshark.com/2021 Rankings.htm

One of the reasons I'm basing this draft on that site is, like them, I believe DT Christian Barmore's value is going to prove to be higher than where most of the experts say it is. (A lot of times it seems like the experts kind of just go with each other.)

1st DT Christian Barmore, Alabama (I think he could play base LDE in Quinn's defense, like Red Bryant did, and then move inside on passing downs; would prefer to trade down for him, but as I said, I'm going with the premise that Dallas has him ranked 10th as well)
2nd FS Richie Grant, Central Florida
3rd DT Tyler Shelvin, LSU
3rd CB Ifeatu Melinfonwu, Syracuse
4th DT Alim McNeill, North Carolina State
4th CB Keith Taylor, Washington
5th OLB Rashed Hamilcar Jr., Oregon State
6th (trade down slightly based on rankings) ILB K.J. Britt, Auburn
7th FB Ben Mason, Michigan
7th (extra pick in trade) K Jose Borregales, Miami

My expected free agent signings would be: CB Richard Sherman, FS Demontae Kazee and LB KJ Wright. (Not necessarily who I want, but who I think Dallas might sign.)

My expected re-signings: QB Dak Prescott, T Cameron Erving, LB Joe Thomas, LS L.P. Ladouceur, CB C.J. Goodwin, along with the RFAs and ERFAs

Last edited:

waving monkey

Reaction score
I dont think McNeal will make to 4th rd.He may not make it to the Shelvin slot. I like McNeal for our defence not crazy for Shelvin.
I dont now much about lower rd. CB's. I thought we have an extra third

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I found a site that ranks top 100 boards based on how many of their picks actually get taken in the top 100. https://www.thehuddlereport.com/top100.scores.shtml

Based on that, I tried to look for some of those top draft "experts"/sites that had a full board out. This mock is based on one of those sites, nfldraftshark.com http://www.nfldraftshark.com/2021 Rankings.htm

One of the reasons I'm basing this draft on that site is, like them, I believe DT Christian Barmore's value is going to prove to be higher than where most of the experts say it is. (A lot of times it seems like the experts kind of just go with each other.)

1st DT Christian Barmore, Alabama (I think he could play base RDE in Quinn's defense, like Red Bryant did, and then move inside on passing downs; would prefer to trade down for him, but as I said, I'm going with the premise that Dallas has him ranked 10th as well)
2nd FS Richie Grant, Central Florida
3rd DT Tyler Shelvin, LSU
3rd CB Ifeatu Melinfonwu, Syracuse
4th DT Alim McNeill, North Carolina State
4th CB Keith Taylor, Washington
5th OLB Rashed Hamilcar Jr., Oregon State
6th (trade down slightly based on rankings) ILB K.J. Britt, Auburn
7th FB Ben Mason, Michigan
7th (extra pick in trade) K Jose Borregales, Miami

My expected free agent signings would be: CB Richard Sherman, FS Demontae Kazee and LB KJ Wright. (Not necessarily who I want, but who I think Dallas might sign.)

My expected re-signings: QB Dak Prescott, T Cameron Erving, LB Joe Thomas, LS L.P. Ladouceur, CB C.J. Goodwin, along with the RFAs and ERFAs

This is one hell of a haul, think 3 slots maybe off come draft weekend:

-Barmore-I don't think he will rise that high to become a top 10 prospect. There is a lot of inconsistency on his film
-Meilfonwu-once he works out, along with a good senior bowl week, he is a fringe 1st round prospect.
-McNeil-he is the best NT prospect with some rush abilities, many believe he is a top 50 player.

Think your fa signings are realistic.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I dont think McNeal will make to 4th rd.He may not make it to the Shelvin slot. I like McNeal for our defence not crazy for Shelvin.

I fixed the round numbers. I agree on McNeill, but I'm going off that board.

My defense with this draft and FA would be:

RDE Lawrence (Gregory on passing downs)
NT Shelvin (Gallimore on passing downs)
3T McNeiil (Barmore on passing downs)
LDE Barmore (Lawrence on passing downs)

WLB Smith
MLB LVE
SLB Wright (nickel CB Melinfonwu)

CB Sherman
SS Wilson
FS Kazee
CB Diggs

Jfconrow

Reaction score
It looks ok, but you completely neglected the OL. Then in my opinion LB is the biggest need on defense. I’d rather you go LB early then add the beef to the DL in the mid rounds

Carson

Reaction score

We will have an extra third ... possibly two. Jones will net us a 3 and Quinn likely a 4. They just aren’t official yet

gimmesix

Reaction score
This is one hell of a haul, think 3 slots maybe off come draft weekend:

-Barmore-I don't think he will rise that high to become a top 10 prospect. There is a lot of inconsistency on his film
-Meilfonwu-once he works out, along with a good senior bowl week, he is a fringe 1st round prospect.
-McNeil-he is the best NT prospect with some rush abilities, many believe he is a top 50 player.

Think your fa signings are realistic.

Yeah, it's hard to know who has the rankings right. Every year there are players taken earlier than expected and others taken way later than expected.

I think Barmore progressed as the season progressed and proved himself against some top competition. However, if Dallas feels differently, I don't want to see the Cowboys reach.

Carson

Reaction score
It looks ok, but you completely neglected the OL. Then in my opinion LB is the biggest need on defense. I’d rather you go LB early then add the beef to the DL in the mid rounds

I seriously don’t think they address OL unless somebody is sitting there they cannot refuse.

Tackle : Smith, Collins, Knight, Steele
Guard : William, Martin, McGovern
Center : Biadasz

We would all like an upgrade over Steele and I see Erving and Looney coming back for cheap. I would like an extra OT (Christiansen, Hudson etc) but it’s possible they don’t address it until late.

gimmesix

Reaction score

If we get Wright in free agency, I'm not concerned about getting a linebacker early. And I'm choosing to fix the defense over worrying about the offensive line. If Tyron Smith ends up being washed, I think we have options on the team to cover for it based on our past good drafting of OL (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, player who should have been taken in the 1st).

If Tyron is washed, I move Collins to left tackle, McGovern plays right guard and Martin moves to right tackle. I'd prefer to move Williams to right tackle and keep Martin at guard, but I'm not convinced Dallas feels the same way. I also believe McKnight is a viable RT option, but we were forced to play him at LT last year by the unusual amount of injuries.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Reaction score
I seriously don’t think they address OL unless somebody is sitting there they cannot refuse.

Tackle : Smith, Collins, Knight, Steele
Guard : William, Martin, McGovern
Center : Biadasz

We would all like an upgrade over Steele and I see Erving and Looney coming back for cheap. I would like an extra OT (Christiansen, Hudson etc) but it’s possible they don’t address it until late.

I let Looney go to save a little money to spend elsewhere. I think Biadasz and McGovern cover us at center.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yeah, it's hard to know who has the rankings right. Every year there are players taken earlier than expected and others taken way later than expected.

I think Barmore progressed as the season progressed and proved himself against some top competition. However, if Dallas feels differently, I don't want to see the Cowboys reach.

I think they used way too many big boards to compile their list. As you know some are a few that are pretty consistent, outside of a few surprises every year, but others that are way off, this distorts the meaningful data.

As for Barmore, he was a 2nd rd prospect prior to the college playoffs. I don't think he showed enough to be considered a top 10 player. I haven't heard one media scout project him that high, where his slotting probably lies in the late teens to the early twenties.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I think they used way too many big boards to compile their list. As you know some are a few that are pretty consistent, outside of a few surprises every year, but others that are way off, this distorts the meaningful data.

As for Barmore, he was a 2nd rd prospect prior to the college playoffs. I don't think he showed enough to be considered a top 10 player. I haven't heard one media scout project him that high, where his slotting probably lies in the late teens to the early twenties.

You may be right. I saw a dominant DT (3-tech type) in the latter part of the season worthy of an early pick. However, his early play could definitely bring him down.

Rayman70

Reaction score

I think Barmore fits any scheme. That is how good he is. He is just a ball player. He dominates high level competition. That tells me we could very well view him as a possibility at 10. Then again, DQ isn't saying ANYTHING to let the cat out of the bag. I think he's evaluating EVERYONE on the roster and no one is what I would call safe. He's lookin at all options. U can bet he has a plan of what he wants.

Rayman70

Reaction score
We need a 85 bears type draft is what we need in actuality. Thats how gawd awful we are on defense. This will be a 3 year rebuild on that side of the ball. I expect huge strides under DQ in year 2 of his tenure.This year will be baby steps.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I think Barmore fits any scheme. That is how good he is. He is just a ball player. He dominates high level competition. That tells me we could very well view him as a possibility at 10. Then again, DQ isn't saying ANYTHING to let the cat out of the bag. I think he's evaluating EVERYONE on the roster and no one is what I would call safe. He's lookin at all options. U can bet he has a plan of what he wants.

I really like him as a big end/DT pass rusher. His weakness seems to be that he gets too high coming out of his stance when playing the run, which really hurts him against double-teams. At end, he'd be a strong run presence going one-on-one against the right tackle. Then, he'd be allowed to primarily do what he does best when he plays inside.

Plus, we're going need someone at end to rotate with Gregory and Lawrence. We could bring back Aldon Smith. If we don't, I'm not all that comfortable at this point with Armstrong or Anae being the third end, not if we want to improve.

gimmesix

Reaction score
We need a 85 bears type draft is what we need in actuality. Thats how gawd awful we are on defense. This will be a 3 year rebuild on that side of the ball. I expect huge strides under DQ in year 2 of his tenure.This year will be baby steps.

I think we can do it if we do something similar to what I've got here.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i like it a whole helluva lot.
specially barmore,grant,mcneill,shelvin,taylor and britt.
like you...i think barmore gets drafted higher than people anticipate.
if surtain,farley and slater are off the board...barmore or michigan de kwity paye might be their targets.

Aven8

Reaction score
That’s a lot of DT’s now on the roster with Gally and Hill too. I don’t see it.

Sydla

Reaction score

LB needs help but there is no way LB is the biggest need on defense when we have complete holes at S, CB and lack talent at DT.

That's not to say you don't take a LB early. If your pick at 10 comes and the Cowboys have Parsons as their top player on the board there, you take him. If they trade back into the late teens or early 20s and JOK or Collins are the best players on your board, take them.

But LB is not nearly a need like say CB. A lot could also change in FA, granted I doubt we will be all that active.

Last edited: