Video: NFLN Peter Schrager: 'I would not be surprised' if Dak won MVP in 2020

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There was nothing MVP worthy about his stats. He piled up a bunch of meaningless passing yards against the Giants and Skins, but everything else was nothing special when it comes to crowning an MVP. You have to go back a pretty long ways to find an MVP with 30 TD passes or less... Manning in 2008 and again with McNair in 2003. And then, 30 TDs was more than 30 TDs today.
He was 2nd in the NFL in passing yardage, and 4th in passing TD's, and had a strong QBR. If the team were to tack on a 13-3 record and 1st round bye in the playoffs like in 2016, that would make him a strong MVP candidate. Keep in mind, MVP isn't only about stats, and even if a player has somewhat better stats, if his team is average he likely won't get the votes.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
He was 2nd in the NFL in passing yardage, and 4th in passing TD's, and had a strong QBR. If the team were to tack on a 13-3 record and 1st round bye in the playoffs like in 2016, that would make him a strong MVP candidate. Keep in mind, MVP isn't only about stats, and even if a player has somewhat better stats, if his team is average he likely won't get the votes.
Again, passing yardage and "QBR" are not MVP stats. Passing TDs are, but he was nothing special in that regard. Lamar Jackson had 36 in only 15 games all while amazingly averaging as many rushing yards per game as Zeke. That's what you're up against going for MVP... the inhuman season that always pops up every year, whether it's Lamar, Mahomes, Cam Newton or Matt Ryan.
And it's funny that you mention MVP isn't just about stats, because it's not it's also about narrative. And Dak smoked his own narrative by stinking out the joint in pretty much every big prime time game they played, culminating with the disaster in Philly. He had zero chance.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
Eight and Eight is a record I hate, and Dak doesnt deserve to be in the MVP Debate.. Wins big games, make the playoffs and win a few games there, then we can discuss the MVP.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The guy is solid in so many ways. It baffles me people don’t see it. Imagine like it baffles them that I think this. Go Prescott the kid is a winner
They are the same people walking around without a mask just to spite the system!

Bowdown27

Reaction score
It would not surprise me in the least if Dak was in mvp talks. In that McCarthy offense.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There was nothing MVP worthy about his stats. He piled up a bunch of meaningless passing yards against the Giants and Skins, but everything else was nothing special when it comes to crowning an MVP. You have to go back a pretty long ways to find an MVP with 30 TD passes or less... Manning in 2008 and again with McNair in 2003. And then, 30 TDs was more than 30 TDs today.
Troll.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again, passing yardage and "QBR" are not MVP stats. Passing TDs are, but he was nothing special in that regard. Lamar Jackson had 36 in only 15 games all while amazingly averaging as many rushing yards per game as Zeke. That's what you're up against going for MVP... the inhuman season that always pops up every year, whether it's Lamar, Mahomes, Cam Newton or Matt Ryan.
And it's funny that you mention MVP isn't just about stats, because it's not it's also about narrative. And Dak smoked his own narrative by stinking out the joint in pretty much every big prime time game they played, culminating with the disaster in Philly. He had zero chance.

There is no set criteria for MVP voting. Nobody dictates to the voters what stats they have to consider or ignore.

Your point is nonsense anyway. Voters can and do look at a variety of stats, and TDs in a season can be a function of just throwing the ball a lot, so it has to be looked at in the context of the overall stats to judge how much value to give it. QBR is part of what got Romo strong consideration for MVP in 2014. Remember, QBR is actually takes into account a lot of other stats, such as INTs and completion %. That's why, despite being 2nd in the NFL in TD's, Winston was not considered an MVP candidate, or even a top QB for that matter. The fact that he threw 30 INTs and only had a 60% completion percentage killed his QBR and killed any chance at being perceived as a top QB.

Besides that, MVP is not only a stat driven award. Especially at QB, almost everyone considers things like leadership and inspiration and other intangibles to be a big factor, plus team success is always considered. Assuming the gap isn't huge, a player with somewhat better stats on an 8-8 team is much less likely to get MVP votes than a player with somewhat lower stats on a 13-3 team.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
There is no set criteria for MVP voting. Nobody dictates to the voters what stats they have to consider or ignore.

Your point is nonsense anyway. Voters can and do look at a variety of stats, and TDs in a season can be a function of just throwing the ball a lot, so it has to be looked at in the context of the overall stats to judge how much value to give it. QBR is part of what got Romo strong consideration for MVP in 2014. Remember, QBR is actually takes into account a lot of other stats, such as INTs and completion %. That's why, despite being 2nd in the NFL in TD's, Winston was not considered an MVP candidate, or even a top QB for that matter. The fact that he threw 30 INTs and only had a 60% completion percentage killed his QBR and killed any chance at being perceived as a top QB.

Besides that, MVP is not only a stat driven award. Especially at QB, almost everyone considers things like leadership and inspiration and other intangibles to be a big factor, plus team success is always considered. Assuming the gap isn't huge, a player with somewhat better stats on an 8-8 team is much less likely to get MVP votes than a player with somewhat lower stats on a 13-3 team.
The only thing that's nonsense is that someone actually thinks that QBR is taken seriously by MVP voters. It's a made up, subjective metric that ESPN won't even reveal the formula. Then you follow with a brain dead drivel about "leadership"... lol. We can objectively see how often the passing TD leader has won the MVP vs QBR or passing yards. The answer doesn't support your brain dead drivel.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I agree. If your team goes 13-3 or 14-2 and you throw for 30 touchdowns and 4900 yards?THat guy will be MVP.

Creeper

Reaction score
I am a Dak fan to a point, but anything Peter Schrager says you can throw in the garbage. He is one of the most talentless talking heads on TV. And, he is an Eagles fan.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only thing that's nonsense is that someone actually thinks that QBR is taken seriously by MVP voters. It's a made up, subjective metric that ESPN won't even reveal the formula. Then you follow with a brain dead drivel about "leadership"... lol. We can objectively see how often the passing TD leader has won the MVP vs QBR or passing yards. The answer doesn't support your brain dead drivel.
Are you so committed to your ridiculous world that you think all MVP voters have a strict formula and strict rules for what they consider and don't? And do you really not understand that the personal perspective, perception, bias and emotions of voters factor in. MVP voting is not like you perceive at all. Voters can use any criteria they choose, including just going by their gut feeling if they choose.

Jstopper

Reaction score
Eight and Eight is a record I hate, and Dak doesnt deserve to be in the MVP Debate.. Wins big games, make the playoffs and win a few games there, then we can discuss the MVP.

did this apply to Lamar Jackson? Pretty sure he is 0-2 in the playoffs. Do you guys think before you post?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's just perception.

Most people make a living working hard, putting in years on a job and being paid once the work is complete.

Build a house get paid when done. Not before.

When it comes to people's sensibilities, it just works that way.

Taking pro sports in general, signing big contracts is the American Dream.

Most will never ever get there. So when record-breaking deals come along..

some will celebrate, others will spout cautionary tales about being beware.

Frankly, none of us have a horse n this race. Technically we are unqualified to have any weight since we are not Jerrah nor Dak.

I let this go in my mind the other day. In a World of real crisis right now..

Do any of us really care? We should be worried about our work, families and health way before any of this.

I let the air out of my balloon about this once I saw close to a million people ill and many dying going forward.

I have to consider myself more mature than that. I believe I should anyway.

Later.
You’re talking about the NFL. Yes we definitely care it’s more than football it’s a way of life. Just like the military. I guess some of us are more committed

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yea im sure all of his 0TD performances in 1 possession losses next year, will make him the front-runner for the award :laugh::laugh::lmao2:
How many games throughout his career we could have won . Only if the defense had to stop the other team from scoring last. The kid is a winner

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Not only do I trust him when the game is on the line having the ball last. I wonder how many times the team has let him down I’m not stopping the opposing team from scoring last. It’s so easy to put blame where it doesn’t belong

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Not just so much of just him being solid but how solid everything’s getting around him during this offseason. We got a possible stud WR. Good O-Linemen and depth there. A TE that I think is going to do well now that he is getting a chance to start. Elliot should be in camp and in shape. A new HC that’s not a puppet. Unless there is major injuries (which happen) there will be no excuse to not get lots of points.
It’s all about team my cowboy brother

817Gill

Reaction score
He'd have to surpase last years stats. And still be slim and none.
No he wouldn’t, he would have to get close to them with 3ish more wins. If the Cowboys are the #1 or #2 seed in the NFC, he’s a frontrunner by default.

Plus why would it be slim to none? Better offensive coaching with arguably better weapons, seems like it’s definitely possible if we are trying to score 30 a game.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They are the same people walking around without a mask just to spite the system!
Be good be safe my cowboy brother. I know you’re being smart. We just have too much to lose. And I know you’re not talking just finances