Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys WLB DeMarcus Ware

By Nolan Nawrocki
Nov. 26, 2008

ROLB DeMarcus Ware, #94
Dallas Cowboys
Height: 6-4, Weight: 251, Speed: 4.57

Notes: Largely unrecruited as a 165-pound receiver coming out of high school but filled out physically and moved to defense at Troy. Named Sun Belt Defensive Player of the Year as a senior at Troy after notching 53 tackles, 19 tackles for loss and 10½ sacks to lead the program to its first bowl appearance. Was selected 11th overall by the Cowboys in the 2005 NFL Draft and immediately entered the starting lineup as a rookie at the weak-side linebacker position in the Cowboys’ 3-4 front, notching 65-11-8 with three forced fumbles, all of which came after sacks vs. Carolina. Started all 16 games again in ’06, and one postseason contest, finishing with 82-16½-11½, setting the Cowboys franchise record for sacks by a linebacker while also recording five forced fumbles, three pass breakups and returning an interception of a Michael Vick pass 41 yards for a TD. Also returned a Donovan McNabb fumble 69 yards for a TD. Named a starter on the NFC Pro Bowl team following the season and again in ’07, when he broke his own club record for sacks by a linebacker by tallying 80-22-14 with four forced fumbles. Is on pace to break his own sack record again through 11 games in ’08, having already recorded 73-16-12 with three pass breakups and three forced fumbles. Is the first Cowboy to lead the team, or be tied for the lead, in sacks in his first three seasons.

Positives: Excellent first-step quickness, flexibility, body control and overall athletic ability to bend off the edge and leverage the corner. Comes off the ball very low to the ground and can rip underneath blockers with his long arms and win one-on-one matchups with his upfield edge burst. Has cat-quick hands and the strength to lock out and transfer his quickness into power, jolting defenders with his punch and bulling blockers into the quarterback. Explosive off the ball. Outstanding pass-rushing instincts with a great feel for the drop point and when to use inside moves, spins and counters to come free. Functional lower-body strength. Can sink his hips and play the run with strength, able to set the edge, quickly disengage from blockers and string out backs to the sideline. Very loose-hipped and fluid in his movement. Can man up and run with backs and tight ends in coverage. Outstanding work ethic, intelligence, durability and character.

Negatives: Not a glass-eater and will use a little too much finesse at times, playing too tall, not wrapping the quarterback and missing some tackles in the open field. Does not show great awareness in coverage or instinctively feel receivers in zones. Ball skills could improve.

Summary: Arrived on the scene as a rookie and made an instant impact, very quickly developing into one of the game’s most dominant pass rushers, serving as the prototype for what teams desire in a 3-4 rush linebacker. Has begun re-writing the Cowboys' record book in his very short career, starting every game and showing continued improvement. Has shown the playmaking, pass-rush ability to be enshrined in Canton if he continues playing the way he has and is every bit deserving of becoming the NFL’s highest-paid defender.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
"Largely unrecruited as a 165-pound receiver coming out of high school but filled out physically"

165 lbs to almost 260... seems impossible.. makes you wonder.

Eddie

Reaction score
locked&loaded;2445009 said:
Largely unrecruited as a 165-pound receiver coming out of high school but filled out physically

165 lbs to almost 260... seems impossible.. makes you wonder.

You'd be surprised at the physical changes from age 17 to 21.

Don't imply anything.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
Eddie;2445010 said:
You'd be surprised at the physical changes from age 17 to 21.

Don't imply anything.

Im just saying I'm 18 and 6'3. I weigh 184 lbs and have a frame that could easily add weight. Im going to play college football, and it seems well.. hard to believe that a person could add that much weight.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Not impossible at all, I went from being 160 in high school to 230 in college. I've only taken Whey protein so it's not impossible at all, so don't even bring up the steroids talk.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
headhunterroy05;2445015 said:
Not impossible at all, I went from being 160 in high school to 230 in college. I've only taken Whey protein so it's not impossible at all, so don't even bring up the steroids talk.

who brought up steroids?

locked&loaded

Reaction score
headhunterroy05;2445020 said:
What were you implying then?

just thinking out loud, all i was saying is i am astounded. The guy is solid, alot of things crossed my mind. I could never see steroids and ware together, although i dont know the guy further than what i see on tv.

one should not assume others are assuming things.

PBJTime

Semper Fidelis
Reaction score
I'd say it's not too far fetched. I was 6'2'' and 160-170 throughout my time in the Marines. I have since reached 235 with only whey and creatine in about 2 1/2 years. I'm not a gym rat either.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
KC joyner's statistical analysis led him to call Demarcus ware a pretender.

So he must not be any good. I mean statistics, especially pass rushing stats are all there is to defense. Right?

Randy whites saying should be repeated by everyone.

Daudr

Reaction score
locked&loaded;2445014 said:
Im just saying I'm 18 and 6'3. I weigh 184 lbs and have a frame that could easily add weight. Im going to play college football, and it seems well.. hard to believe that a person could add that much weight.

Very easy. Get with a good trainer and you will bulk up a lot.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
When I was 18 years old I was a flabby 160 lbs. I bulked up and got to a chiseled 210 lbs in only 1 year. That was over 15 years ago when sports nutrition and whey protein supplements weren't as advanced as they are now.

Young bucks can add weight and muscle so easily. I work out like a fiend right now, and it is much more difficult to bulk up, even with the best of whey protein supplements. Today, I'm a chiseled 155 lb man with some muscle definition, but not nearly the mass I had 15 years ago.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I weighed 165 on entry to boot camp. I weighed 196 when I left 10 weeks later. Barely 18. Moved to 235 within two years. Muscle. Not steroids at all. It's genetic. If I was as tall as my brothers I'd have been pushing Ware's weight easy. I'm only 6 feet. Rather was.

Kilyin

Reaction score
theebs;2445045 said:
KC joyner's statistical analysis led him to call Demarcus ware a pretender.

So he must not be any good. I mean statistics, especially pass rushing stats are all there is to defense. Right?

Randy whites saying should be repeated by everyone.

How would any statistical analysis lead one to call Ware a 'pretender'? I mean unless he's looking at his QB rating (And I bet it woulda been higher than Brad Johnson's), Ware is an all around monster.

Section446

Reaction score
Ware is a freak of nature, I'm so honored to have him on our team; not just because he's a top tier defensive player but because he's a hell of a person off the field as well.

Now lock the name up Jerry!