Nick Saban is Retiring

dmaschuck

Reaction score
After ending Georgia's 29 game win streak on the day leaving 29 in the year he retires after picking up his 29th and final
loss as head coach of the University of Alabama a number they like to script in the game of Football

XEKMNtQ.png

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Shocking timing but not surprised he wanted to quit. He hated the NIL BS and just didn’t want to deal with having to re-recruit his entire roster every year. Plus, he’s accomplished everything their is too accomplish in college football. He’ll head to TV and do that.

My money is on Lane Kiffin or Mike Norvel.

1942willys

Reaction score
And he knows he will not be able to dominate as he has in the past.
Not to mention its been tougher on him recently to maintain his domination.
It all adds up
And the man is 72 so all in all no real surprise

joseephuss

Reaction score
Shocking timing but not surprised he wanted to quit. He hated the NIL BS and just didn’t want to deal with having to re-recruit his entire roster every year. Plus, he’s accomplished everything their is too accomplish in college football. He’ll head to TV and do that.

My money is on Lane Kiffin or Mike Norvel.
Yes, Lane Kiffin's name has already been thrown around as a potential replacement. I don't see him as a good choice myself, but he has ties to the program. I think no matter who they hire, they will end up looking for another coach in a few years.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Given Kiffen's history, I find it difficult to believe that the big donors to the program would want him anywhere near the head coaching position. Tuscaloosa is not very far from Knoxville, and people remember all too well what he did at the University of Tennessee.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, Lane Kiffin's name has already been thrown around as a potential replacement. I don't see him as a good choice myself, but he has ties to the program. I think no matter who they hire, they will end up looking for another coach in a few years.
Kiffin won 11 games at ole miss this year. I think he would be great at Alabama which has far more resources than ole miss.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I get it. Saban himself set the standard so high at Bama that anything short of a national championship appearance is a letdown. He despises the way CFB is heading, and doesn't have a national championship looking roster for 2024. So I think he's just out of willpower to get back on that horse again.

csirl

Reaction score
He originally turned down the Alabama HC role, but 'bama were persistent - he came home one day to find the AD in his kitchen drinking coffee with his wife.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Given Kiffen's history, I find it difficult to believe that the big donors to the program would want him anywhere near the head coaching position. Tuscaloosa is not very far from Knoxville, and people remember all too well what he did at the University of Tennessee.
Tennessee is not Alabama. There is a food chain in college football and Alabama is at the top. There is no chance Kiffin would bolt for another college job if he got the HC at Bama.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get it. Saban himself set the standard so high at Bama that anything short of a national championship appearance is a letdown. He despises the way CFB is heading, and doesn't have a national championship looking roster for 2024. So I think he's just out of willpower to get back on that horse again.
He’s 72. Not many coaches go longer without delegating a lot and Saban can’t run his show delegating. He’s got to have his hands in everything and on every part of the team. He doesn’t have the energy to do it anymore or the motivation. And he definitely does not want to deal with NIL and the transfer portal.

Bama fans are happy beating Auburn and winning the SEC.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
But there are confirmed reports of Dan Lanning in Tuscaloosa. So who knows?
Confirmed by the Alabama sports media.

Lanning just commented that his son came into his room in his house in Eugene and showed him a tweet that he was in Alabama and was close to a deal to take Saban's job.
Bama fans are happy beating Auburn and winning the SEC.
What Bama fans have you been talking to? 99% of ones I know would literally do you bodily harm if you said Alabama was happy with winning the SEC. They consider that their right and a given. One of the sayings I get thrown in my face constantly in this state is "It's Auburn that's content beating Bama. Bama fans are only content winning a championship".

They're like the worst elements of Cowboys fans and Eagles fans rolled into one, especially the ones north of the Tuscaloosa line. Any head coach that doesn't come into Tuscaloosa and start where Saban left off is going to literally get death threats. There's a reason Saban froze out the Alabama media from any real behind the scenes news and has been constantly dreaming of getting out of this state and away from this fan base. The vast majority have never set foot on a college campus for any other reason than to see a football game and consider Alabama winning championships to be integral to their self worth has humans. It's not entertainment here, it's religion.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Greatest College coach of all time. 7 National titles. Joel Klatt said on his podcast that Alabama was ranked number 1 at least once in 15 straight seasons under Saban. That’s incredible to keep his team near the top for so long. He’ll be missed. The NCAA needs to listen to him about NIL and the transfer portal…

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I will miss Saban. Even though not a Tide fan, enormous respect for his accomplishments on the field and his attitude about life.

I use "Saban-isms" with my two sons a lot. Among my favorites:

"Don't practice until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong"

"You'll experience one of two things in life: either the pain of discipline, or the pain of disappointment"

Simple but powerful and deadly accurate. I love people that strive for not only excellence, but perfection. Saban ran his team and his life in that fashion and he'll be missed in college football. An all time legend and deservedly so.