No 4th rounder this year because of Canty trade?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
noletime95 said:
Right? Just trying to remember...
That is correct. We also got a 6th rounder from Philly in that trade and it replaces our 6th rounder which we gave up for Scott Fujita.

These will change whent eh NFL announces the Compensatory drfat picks. We will not receive any per Adam. As of now this is correct.

Round 1...18...our own
Round 2...49...our own
Round 3...80...our own
Round 5...146...our own
Round 6...173...from Philly
Round 7...208...our own

spindoc

Reaction score
Hostile said:
That is correct. We also got a 6th rounder from Philly in that trade and it replaces our 6th rounder which we gave up for Scott Fujita.

Great, another punt returner!:banghead:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
spindoc said:
Great, another punt returner!:banghead:
I'm fine with that if he produces.

Your solution is what? Forfeit all our late picks?

Also, Rob Petitti is a Punt Returner? 6th rounder in 2005. Jay Ratliff is? 7th rounder in 2005. Beriault is? 6th rounder in 2005.

A little short on factual data there?

BLT

Reaction score
I still cant believe we got Chris Canty that late. That was a great discovery by our scouts. I'm expecting Huge things from him and eventually replace Greg Ellis and pair up with Marcus Spears and become the corner stones of our Defensive line.

Killersanta

Reaction score
BLT said:
I still cant believe we got Chris Canty that late. That was a great discovery by our scouts. I'm expecting Huge things from him and eventually replace Greg Ellis and pair up with Marcus Spears and become the corner stones of our Defensive line.

If anything Canty would be the starter, and then spear will take over for Ellis.

Discovery??? he was a first round pick, but he had a eye problem so no one wanted to draft him, in the fear that he may never play football again.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Hostile said:

These will change whent eh NFL announces the Compensatory drfat picks. We will not receive any per Adam. As of now this is correct.

Round 1...18...our own
Round 2...49...our own
Round 3...80...our own
Round 5...146...our own
Round 7...208...our own

Hmmmm....I'm looking at this list and thinking to myself that we need more picks.

spindoc

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I'm fine with that if he produces.
A little short on factual data there?
You got me. How could I forget all the great contributions made by these recent 6th Round Choices.*Note: I do believe Petitti will be good. The coaches forced him into an unfair situation last year.

Justin Beriault - 6th Round 2005
Rob Petitti T Pittsburgh -6th Round 2005
2004 - None
B.J. Tucker CB Wisconsin - 6th Round 2003
Zuriel Smith WR Hampton - 6th Round 2003
Tyson Walter - 6th Round Draft Pick 2002
Deveren Johnson - 6th Round Draft Pick 2002
Bob Slowikowski - 6th Round Draft Pick 2002
Deleroy Stewart - Sixth Round 2001
(Not to mention the three horrible picks in Round 7)

I'm all for drafting players in the later rounds, but Dallas just doesn't have the history of picking the best players in those rounds. Although I was happy with last year's draft.

cowheel

Reaction score
spindoc said:
I'm all for drafting players in the later rounds, but Dallas just doesn't have the history of picking the best players in those rounds. Although I was happy with last year's draft.

..how many teams ARE successful with those picks?
6th and 7th round picks rarely pan out for most teams.

That's why they're labeled as "GEMS" when you DO hit on one.

However, i do still consider these late round picks valuable...
there are a lot of special teams stars across the league that are found in these rounds...

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
spindoc said:
You got me. How could I forget all the great contributions made by these recent 6th Round Choices.*Note: I do believe Petitti will be good. The coaches forced him into an unfair situation last year.

2004 - None

You are aware we have a new draft staff..see Ireland. :eek:

CowboysFan02

Degree or Bust
Reaction score
spindoc said:

2004 - None

Actually in 2004 we picked Patrick Crayton in round 7 at pick 15, I think that 7th round pick seems to be turning out pretty well so far.

spindoc

Reaction score
CowboysFan02 said:
Actually in 2004 we picked Patrick Crayton in round 7 at pick 15, I think that 7th round pick seems to be turning out pretty well so far.

Feel free to review other 7th round picks too.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
spindoc said:
You got me. How could I forget all the great contributions made by these recent 6th Round Choices

Did you see that TD catch he made from Henson yesterday?

They're the Aikman-Irvin of NFLE!

We should have never let him get away.:D

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hailmary said:
Hmmmm....I'm looking at this list and thinking to myself that we need more picks.
JMO, but at the end of day two we end up with more than six players from this draft.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
spindoc said:

2004 - None

I still don't see what solution you're proposing, just more griping. Are you suggesting we forfeit these picks?

You're hanging your contention on 3 years ago (2003). The ice is pretty thin if you do that. I mentioned the 2005 Draft from 6th round and 7th round. Clearly no Punt Returners and 3 players expected to contribute to this team or already have.

You're also skipping 2004 in an effort to throw something on the wall that sticks. In 2004 we draft 3 kids in the 7th round.

Nate Jones, CB, not a stud, but wasn't expected to be. Has contributed.

Patrick Crayton, WR/PR. Oh, yougot me there, a Punt Returner. He also happens to be our #3 WR and is a pretty darn good player.

Jacques Reeves, CB. Similar story to Nate Joens but has been a degree or 2 better. Has contributed.

I'm just not seeing this utter failure you're prophesying. I don't see the plethora of Punt Returners. Again, if we get one who turns out to be Brian Mitchell Part II isn't that a great thing? Are you griping just for the sake of griping? That's what it appears to be at this juncture.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Hostile said:

Round 1...18...our own
Round 2...49...our own
Round 3...80...our own
Round 5...146...our own
Round 7...208...our own
Didn't we get a 6th or 7th in the Pete Hunter deal. At first I thought it was conditional but was told that it was a straight up deal. What's the story on that?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Didn't we get a 6th or 7th in the Pete Hunter deal. At first I thought it was conditional but was told that it was a straight up deal. What's the story on that?
I believe it was Conditional and they waived him. No Draft site is reporting we have a 7th from the Jets.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I believe it was Conditional and they waived him. No Draft site is reporting we have a 7th from the Jets.
Thanks Hos.

I know I mentioned that it was a conditional pick at some point during the season and had several people telling me that it was Not conditional so I was not sure.