No 4th rounder this year because of Canty trade?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
BLT said:
I still cant believe we got Chris Canty that late. That was a great discovery by our scouts.

I don't think it was a discovery - everyone knew about him. it was the injury issue - we took a little gamble there.

what was a great move was finding out that the Pats were going to take him in the 4th - and then getting ahead of them.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Didn't we get a 6th or 7th in the Pete Hunter deal. At first I thought it was conditional but was told that it was a straight up deal. What's the story on that?

The condition was we would get either 5 or 6 if he made their team and contributed and if he did not make their team we would recieve their 7th round pick in the 2007 draft. So we have the jets 7th next year

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Hostile said:
That is correct. We also got a 6th rounder from Philly in that trade and it replaces our 6th rounder which we gave up for Scott Fujita.

These will change whent eh NFL announces the Compensatory drfat picks. We will not receive any per Adam. As of now this is correct.

Round 1...18...our own
Round 2...49...our own
Round 3...80...our own
Round 5...146...our own
Round 6...173...from Philly
Round 7...208...our own[/quote

Question - Why the big gape between our 2nd and 3rd picks? Pick 49 - 80 ?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
kiheikiwi said:
Hostile said:
That is correct. We also got a 6th rounder from Philly in that trade and it replaces our 6th rounder which we gave up for Scott Fujita.

These will change whent eh NFL announces the Compensatory drfat picks. We will not receive any per Adam. As of now this is correct.

Round 1...18...our own
Round 2...49...our own
Round 3...80...our own
Round 5...146...our own

49+32=81 so that is probably right.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
spindoc said:
I'm all for drafting players in the later rounds, but Dallas just doesn't have the history of picking the best players in those rounds. Although I was happy with last year's draft.

before last year, Dallas mainly drafted projects with their 2nd day picks, but last year they devoted to picking top producers from big-time college programs since drafting projects never panned out, and which should continue in the future after the haul we had in '05

AbeBeta

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
before last year, Dallas mainly drafted projects with their 2nd day picks, but last year they devoted to picking top producers from big-time college programs since drafting projects never panned out, and which should continue in the future after the haul we had in '05

I don't think project is the right term. A project assumes that you have a staff in place to develop the guy. Jerry actually was inspired by the 9'ers late 3rd round pick of TO - he saw that and would look every year for boom or bust guys. He constantly went for that late round homerun pick instead of a player who might project to being a ST contributor or a backup.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
kiheikiwi said:
Round 1...18...our own
Round 2...49...our own
Round 3...80...our own
Round 5...146...our own

It's 31 slots between choices.

No gap that I see.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
abersonc said:
I don't think project is the right term. A project assumes that you have a staff in place to develop the guy. Jerry actually was inspired by the 9'ers late 3rd round pick of TO - he saw that and would look every year for boom or bust guys. He constantly went for that late round homerun pick instead of a player who might project to being a ST contributor or a backup.

you get the picture though