No agreement for CBA coming soon

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
John Clayton is reporting that the talks are a "hail mary pass situation" at this point and a deal is not likely by Tuesday.

I'm still a little confused on what all this means to us besides the Skins are up the poopy creek with out a paddle.:confused:

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
Can someone explain this? What does this mean for us and is a lockout a possibility?

Also, what happens if the players "derectify" the union like Upshaw suggested.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
TheKey said:
Can someone explain this? What does this mean for us and is a lockout a possibility?

Also, what happens if the players "derectify" the union like Upshaw suggested.

Basically, that's what I'm looking for:confused:

parchy

Reaction score
I'm not sure about specifics, but this leads to an un-capped year, doesn't it?

TheHustler

Reaction score
I believe it only changes how signing bonuses will be structured. The CBA extends through this year....

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends said:
John Clayton is reporting that the talks are a "hail mary pass situation" at this point and a deal is not likely by Tuesday.

I'm still a little confused on what all this means to us besides the Skins are up the poopy creek with out a paddle.:confused:

The Skins Vinny Cerrato said tonight that without a new CBA the landscape of free agency will change. Teams like the Commanders will not be able to spend on free agency and have to build through the draft.

He did say if there was a CBA extension, the Skins would look more at free agency. We seem to have a plan either way.

I think what everyone should be concerned about most of all is where this league is going after the 2007 season.

notherbob

Reaction score
All we can do is wait a few days and see what happens. It's like watching a car wreck happen in slow motion.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
all i know is that "derectify" is an outstanding word

i will now incorporate it into daily speech as much as posisble

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
Future 585 said:

:lmao2: :lmao: :laugh2:

Very good!

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
The Skins Vinny Cerrato said tonight that without a new CBA the landscape of free agency will change. Teams like the Commanders will not be able to spend on free agency and have to build through the draft.

He did say if there was a CBA extension, the Skins would look more at free agency. We seem to have a plan either way.

I think what everyone should be concerned about most of all is where this league is going after the 2007 season.
How are the Skins going to build through the draft when Synder trades most of his picks every year? :D

clayman

Reaction score
Future 585 said:

"posisble" is pretty cool too. :)

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
How are the Skins going to build through the draft when Synder trades most of his picks every year? :D
LOL...simple we MUST keep all our draft picks this year if theres no CBA extension. We won't be able to afford trading picks for FAs, there are no other options. This actually could be a blessing in disguise long term if we draft well. Though I'd prefer the CBA extension to be able to sign at least a couple FA's.The only major concern I have is depth...we are going to have to unload a good bit of secondary depth it seems like to get under the cap. We also have a good OL but if one of the guys goes down its like breaking a link in a chain as you all well know. If any one of our starters on the line or secondary goes down we could have problems.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
If there's no CBA agreement you got a big problem, healthy or no. And you don't have a number 1, so keeping all the rest of your draft picks would indeed be wise but it won't get you that much.

What I'd still like to know is how much are the Commanders hurt if the CBA deal is just delayed past March 3? It seems to me that the Commanders have to make a number of moves by March 3 to get under the cap. If they make those moves and then the CBA is agreed up on March 6, for example, they still lose out, right? Or wrong? Because I don't know...

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
fanfromvirginia said:
If there's no CBA agreement you got a big problem, healthy or no. And you don't have a number 1, so keeping all the rest of your draft picks would indeed be wise but it won't get you that much.

What I'd still like to know is how much are the Commanders hurt if the CBA deal is just delayed past March 3? It seems to me that the Commanders have to make a number of moves by March 3 to get under the cap. If they make those moves and then the CBA is agreed up on March 6, for example, they still lose out, right? Or wrong? Because I don't know...
We shouldn't have to unload anybody major and the team we had last year did make the divisional playoffs...so the only major issue I see perhaps arising is depth. We have to be under the cap regardless by March 3. If the CBA is extended afterwards, it could give us potentially more cap space to sign FAs, but obviously the later that happens the less the pickings will be.Next year will be a crapshoot without any new CBA, could be a great one but if we have injuries in key positions I don't like our depth.

Pokes28

Reaction score
Here is my understanding of the road ahead...

First, March 3 isn't a drop dead date for anything. If the Owners and Players reach a deal in May, they can put it into place and not have to have an uncapped year in 2007.

Some people are saying that if there is no deal before the start of the 2006 NFL year that 2007 HAS to be uncapped. This simply isn't true.

Decertification of the players union is a shield attempt by the players to prevent being locked out. If there is no union, anti-trust prevents the lockout while the CBA is in force. It also makes it much more difficult for the two sides to reach an agreement. Reality is that the players don't have to be in any hurry to decertify as the NFL owners won't lock out for the 2006 season, but would for the 2007 season. So there should be time. They can start the process without following through. The players really don't want to decertify the union as the union is their means to appeal things that the league is doing. If there are contracts that the league rejects (will probably happen a lot this year), the NFLPA is the avenue that the player has a voice in the process.

My personal hope is that the NFL doesn't reach a new deal until after the draft. That will inflict as much pain on the teams that have been playing loose with the cap. But I do want a new deal in place right after the draft.

The NFL will survive this. Everybody knows that the game is better when everybody wins financially. No cap means that the Cardinals and Saints could spend $15 million on their roster for a season. Bidwell would love to get his chuck of TV revenue and just stick it all in his pocket.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

Wimbo

Reaction score
UPSHAW COMES OFF AS "DR. DOOM"
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

One of our sources in Indy tells us that NFLPA executive director Gene Upshaw painted a bleak picture on Friday morning for NFL agents regarding the status of efforts to work out an extension to the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Per the source, Upshaw said that if the deal isn't done by March 2, "there's no looking back."

"He was Dr. Doom," added the source.

Upshaw said that plans to leave Indianapolis on Friday, and that no further talks are scheduled between now and next Thursday's deadline.

Even so, there's no real reason to cut off the talks on the eve of the start of free agency. The deal is in place for the next two years, and the uncapped year doesn't kick in until 2007. Although the union has the right to force the uncapped year, it won't nearly be as sweet for the players as advertised -- especially if the year without a salary cap is followed by a year without a pay check.