No big deal guys - READ

utrunner07

Reaction score
bula;2474173 said:
yes Philly loses to Washington or 11 wins is needed. in either case, Philly doesnt make it and the final game only means something playoff-wise to Dallas.

yeah...ok...cause everyone is betting on Philly who is playing for the playoffs loosing to Wash who is out of the playoffs, good thought.

Dallas22

Reaction score
windward;2474199 said:
You used CAPS on some words.

Definitely strengthens your argument there.

Heart and Drive. How in the hell do you measure an intangible quality? If you can't measure something, how do you "PROVE" it exists?

You are such a smart guy... LOL... listen, it's simple YOU CAN SEE these qualities and our current Cowboys have NOT show this consistantly.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Dallas22;2474214 said:
You are such a smart guy... LOL... listen, it's simple YOU CAN SEE these qualities and our current Cowboys have NOT show this consistantly.
Have they failed to ever show this or not consistently, which is it?

All I can grasp from your argument is people are going to see what they want to see regardless.

bula

Reaction score
kramskoi;2474185 said:
What is the standard of excellence for the Cowboys? Just backing into the playoffs at #6?

If that's the standard then we should certainly not be disappointed with this team so far...indeed they should probably get a few extra days off.

NO, NO, NO. Totally missing the point. Remember when Dallas was 5-4 and the Giants were 8-1 a few weeks back? We knew then that this team was either #5 or #6. All that matters is getting in. Last I remember the Giants got in as a #6 last year and playing like poop just before the playoffs. Funny how they slowly got better and better and better right after losing a close one to a top AFC team (NE). Glad thing their fans weren't saying .. "Is that the standard .. blah blah blah".

The Boys played a great game yesterday. Period. Better than most thought they would. Time to give them some props. Im not annointing them for the super bowl, but they showed me something. They're close and getting closer. Dont quit on them yet.

Dallas22

Reaction score
bula;2474532 said:
The Boys played a great game yesterday. Period. Better than most thought they would. Time to give them some props. Im not annointing them for the super bowl, but they showed me something. They're close and getting closer. Dont quit on them yet.

They played pretty well but had 5 turnovers... you must break it down because their offense didn't play well at all but their D did fantastic (except for that 70ish-yard drive to tie the game in the 4th - but that was due more to bad coaching)... special teams (except FG's, Folk) was as usual horrific. I don't think that anyone is quitting on the Cowboys, just sick and tired of a team with potential failing, getting a lot of stupid penalties (due mainly to poor coaching) & a crazy number of injuries (which sometime is a conditioning problem - coaches again). Some of the Cowboys fans are angry because we are losing but some of these same angry fans are also realistic & hard on this team because we expect more.

Basically it comes down to the Cowboys winning 3 in a row AND the Falcons losing at least 1 of their 3 games for Dallas to make the Playoffs... I'm flying in for the Giants game and we HAVE TO WIN!!!

skicat1898

Reaction score
I don't see how anybody can take any positives away from that game yesterday...

Romo and the offense sucked, granted it was the #1 defense but we still sucked. Nothing positive about that.

Our defense, played well but crumbled for 9 mins. Also, it was the Steelers offense, while their D is top rated their O is very average so from that stand point,, nothing positive again....

Bottom line, they put up more points than us.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
utrunner07;2474208 said:
yeah...ok...cause everyone is betting on Philly who is playing for the playoffs loosing to Wash who is out of the playoffs, good thought.

I fully expect the Eagles to be there at the end, Washington blows. But I also fully expect us to be there at the end. I'm sorry, but the Giants just clinched, they can no longer go 6-0 in the division, and the game against Carolina is going to mean far more to them, it is for home field.

And I'm supposed to be afraid of the friggin' Ravens? With their friggin' rookie QB? Because I'm not -- who are their running backs and receivers, again? If we can't beat the Ravens, we're just not that good. At least we'll have our answer...

...and a new head coach on the way.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Dallas22;2474562 said:
They played pretty well but had 5 turnovers... you must break it down because their offense didn't play well at all but their D did fantastic (except for that 70ish-yard drive to tie the game in the 4th - but that was due more to bad coaching)... special teams (except FG's, Folk) was as usual horrific. I don't think that anyone is quitting on the Cowboys, just sick and tired of a team with potential failing, getting a lot of stupid penalties (due mainly to poor coaching) & a crazy number of injuries (which sometime is a conditioning problem - coaches again). Some of the Cowboys fans are angry because we are losing but some of these same angry fans are also realistic & hard on this team because we expect more.

Basically it comes down to the Cowboys winning 3 in a row AND the Falcons losing at least 1 of their 3 games for Dallas to make the Playoffs... I'm flying in for the Giants game and we HAVE TO WIN!!!
Show me the scenario where we win out and miss the playoffs. I bet you can't.

Dallas22

Reaction score
windward;2474651 said:
Show me the scenario where we win out and miss the playoffs. I bet you can't.

It would come down to another tie-breaker because we'd be tied in conference records with the Falcons. Unfortunatly the Eagals have that tie and might be the team to worry about for that 5th or 6th spot... either way, things look tough and grim... but the true Cowboys fans will cheer!

AKATheRake

Reaction score
DEMFAN;2473795 said:
I totally agree with you. I did see improvement yesterday with the Cowboys and we are in a better playoff position than last week. The guy the Rake is just someone who is not satisfied no matter what we could have won and he would prolly find reasoning to argue about something. Bottom line is we are looking good and just need to continue to get better.

Glad to see most approve this loss. Glad to see that everyone believes giving up 17 points in the 4th quarter to a team that only scored 3 points in the first 3 quarters is an improvement. Glad to see we were ahead by 10 points going into the 4th quarter and let our opponent score 2 TD's and 1 FG on their only 2 offensive drives. Glad to see that our QB threw 3 INT's in a real game with meaning and in fact threw our opponent their game winning TD on our part of the field after they scored 10 unanswered points.

Glad to see that on 4th and 10 after a timeout we throw a pass to our tight end who didn't even turn around to catch it. Who knows who was wrong on that play, the guy throwing the ball too early or the receiver not even aware the ball was thrown, not sure but that was horrible. We definitely should be glad about all of our turnovers in this game, definitely. As usual we beat ourselves. You want to call this improvement and cause for optimism go ahead. That defense of ours was stellar and got tired the last 9 minutes of the game because our offense couldn't put anything but a 3 and out together to rest them up between drives in the 4th quarter. That offside call on 4th down to give the steelers their TD drive was speculative too. But we let it come down to that again.

Our offense was not creative at all and I'm tired of hearing excuses why, there is just too much talent on that side of the ball to score 13 points in a game of this importance. Glad folks see improvement in that regard as well. But don't make me out to be some party pooper for outlining facts that happened in a game. Here's another fact, not optimism or negativity, we have stunk in December for a very long time. This year we're 0-1 and another fact is that we play the SB champs next. After them probably the 2nd best defense in the league. Ooops, all 3 of these teams are the top 3 defenses in the league, in a row. That's a fact. Our offensive coordinator is not adjusting well at all in the 2nd half of games and this team has not scored many points at all in the 4th quarter in our last 3 games, eventhough we've played San Fran and Seattle, 2 putrid defenses and teams. You'll find a way to argue and build San Fran up I'm sure.

Guys, I'm not saying to be optimistic or negative, I prefer to be objective and factual. The facts are that not too many teams win games, let alone make it to the playoffs by not scoring points in the 4th quarter and giving up 17 points in the 4th quarter. Not many teams win games nor go to the playoffs when they go into a 4th quarter leading by 10 points and then loose to a team that scored 3 all game before the 4th. History and the numbers suggest this. When a teams last quarter of football is 0 - 17 and their 3 quarters of football before that are 13 - 3 I don't see much improvement as I believe you're only as good as your last quarter of football. Tony Romo had one of the highest 4th quarter QB ratings in the NFL going into this game. I don't think his rating in the 4th quarter even reached a 40 and we were ahead. Throwing that pick is not good game management there. Believe me, I'm not giving Romo away for anyone, but he stunk yesterday and he was maybe the biggest reason we lost yesterday and I just didn't see any improvement in his play there.

The best game we played all year was the Green Bay game, which Romo stunk in. The best game we played on offense this year was Philadelphia, our O was unstoppable that game. The best game we played on defense this year was Pittsburgh, not Tampa Bay or Seattle because those offenses offer nothing, at least Pittsburgh does and we were in a tough environment. The worst game we played this year was the Rams. This team has a very hard time putting great games together on both sides of the ball at the same time. It's been the case all year and still is the case. In that regard I didn't see where this great improvement and best game of the year "opinion" is warranted. Wade's definitely getting this defense going, but Garrett has absolutely no creativity nor adjustment skills anymore for some reason.

If you guys would have told me that Tashard Choice would amass for 166 yards rushing and receiving in this game and our defense would hold Pittsburgh to under 100 yards of offense for the first 3 quarters, I would tell you there was no way we'd lose, unlessss.............. Romo throws 3 picks and fumbles the ball once. Yah, be glad guys, you're going to the playoffs like this playing the type of teams we have to play in our last 4 weeks killing ourselves. You say I'm not happy no matter what this team does, sure. OK, you're happy no matter what this team does. I'm gonna talk like you knowing all of these facts.

"Yay, we were outscored 0 - 17 in the 4th quarter. Yay, our QB amassed for 4 turnovers himself while our rookie 4th round pick amassed for 166 yardsof total offense. Yay, we were ahead by 10 points going into the third quarter and only gave up 3 all game prior. But we still lost and boy did we play the best game of the year, yay! We're going to the playoffs for sure, for sure no doubt about it. Yay! Glad to talk objective football!

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Dallas22;2474706 said:
It would come down to another tie-breaker because we'd be tied in conference records with the Falcons. Unfortunatly the Eagals have that tie and might be the team to worry about for that 5th or 6th spot... either way, things look tough and grim... but the true Cowboys fans will cheer!
It will come down to common opponents
If both teams win out this is how it will break down

Philly (Dal 2-0, Atl 0-1)
Tampa (Dal 1-0, Atl 1-1)
Green Bay (Dal 1-0, Atl 1-0)
Rams (Dal 0-1, Atl 1-0)

Combine each teams record and you have Dallas 4-1, Atlanta 3-2.

We win the tiebreaker.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
windward;2474733 said:

Tampa (Dal 1-0, Atl 1-1)
Rams (Dal 0-1, Atl 1-0)

We win the tiebreaker.

Carolina beating Tampa tonight would make us the 5th seed so that would be helpful as well and greatly appreciated! We're fortunate the other runners for the wildcard, except Philly, came out with losses. GGGOOOOOOO Carolina!

Mansta54

Reaction score
bula;2473372 said:
yes we lost but I take more positives from this game that any game in the past 4 years. It reminds me of the Commanders road game back in 1992 where we were dominating the game and lost it due to so many flukey plays at the end. Then we didnt lose another game including the SB.

Dallas outplayed a top team on the road in 17 degree temps. To me it was their best game of the year BAR NONE. Yes they lost. Get over it. See it for what it was. This was a better "overall" team than the one that lost to the Giants in the playoffs last year. They played with passion and some nastiness I havent seen either.

Backs against the wall now, but all we were hoping for before yesterday was to get into the playoffs right? Well, we're IN as of today and I feel better about this teams chances in the playoffs then I did before the Steeler game. This team showed heart.

NYG have peaked and were exposed. Ravens, not as good as Pitt and we have them at home. Philly will be out of it by the last game.

They'll make it. no worries here.

Excellent post dude, I agree 100%....:clap2:

Dallas22

Reaction score
windward;2474733 said:

Tampa (Dal 1-0, Atl 1-1)
Rams (Dal 0-1, Atl 1-0)

We win the tiebreaker.

If that is accurate then at least we have going for us. This and this ALONE should be enough for the Cowboys to bust arse and win their next 3 games (which all SHOULD be easier than playing in Pittsburgh). I think yesterday's loss hurt us more in not getting that extra win up on almost all the other teams that lost... and to let it slip away could hurt us even more.

Point is that on offense we looked average but we played against a great defense. The thing is that a lot of Romo's incompletions & INTs were either just plain bad throws or he made poor decisions, NOT the Steelers D. On defense we played GREAT except for some major miscommunication from our coaching staff at the end. Our special teams were horrible as usual. Did we really look like a viable Playoff threat? A Super Bowl contender? A true Super Bowl contender WINS these type of games. A Playoff team wins the final 3 games on the schedule NO MATTER WHAT. We shall see... in the meantime - GO COWBOYS!!!