No expanded CFP until 2026

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The heads of the conferences can't agree on how to do this so it's tabled until at least 2026.

The ACC head is concerned with everything else college football has going on, the financial part, transfer portal and simmering rewarding the athletes question that they have too much on their plate already.

Big 10 head wants an automatic bid for the conference champion and according to reports, that doesn't even have a majority vote, let alone unanimous. They need everyone on board and good luck with that.

The other issue is what to do with the Rose Bowl? That's easy for me. Start the playoffs earlier and have that as the CFP game every year on 1/1. The layoff doesn't help some schools.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yup was obviously coming to this decision but it is a bummer.

Going to be status quo until 2025.

The automatic champion qualifier is a must have for me too. Retain value of conference games and regular season. Same as NFL. Win division even when trash and you go to playoffs.
Of course non-P5 schools object but they likely won't even have a vote come 2025 anyway.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And the current agreement expires in 2025 as well. Which without a new agreement there would be no playoffs .

We will probably see more realignment in conferences coming up. But if we stay with the 4 team playoff system schools may want to stay in place .

TX and OU might even want to reconsider if only 4 teams cause unless they win the SEC could be left out of playoffs every year.

Much more uncertainty now with no deal in place .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yup was obviously coming to this decision but it is a bummer.

Going to be status quo until 2025.

The automatic champion qualifier is a must have for me too. Retain value of conference games and regular season. Same as NFL. Win division even when trash and you go to playoffs.
Of course non-P5 schools object but they likely won't even have a vote come 2025 anyway.
I guess it depends how many teams we have in playoffs. If it’s 12 then I could see automatic qualifier for power 5 conferences but would we really want a 8-4 conference winner for example if it left out 10 wins or more teams at large qualifying? IDK

I might be for tying in their ranking or records to conference winners so we don’t end up with .500 or barely above in playoffs like we have in professional sports.

And looks like we’ll need to use the major bowls as playoff locations on Jan 1st as they aren’t willing to lose those traditions .

The more I look at this the more I see it staying the same with 4 teams . And if that’s the case I could see an advantage remaining in a Big 12 or PAC 12 for example and going undefeated with a better shot of reaching playoffs than 1 or 2 losses in SEC or Big 10.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't underestimate the failure of Cincinnati, the poster child for teams left out. If they made more impact, might get their attention but it was same ole same ole, two top 5 recruiting schools going at it.

On one hand, we hear about the same schools in it but without expanding the playoffs and continuing to have to top recruiting schools, where's the enticement for the 5 stars?

Riley moving to USC improves their chances but has OU's now diminished?

I wonder when OU and UT decided to make the SEC jump if they were assuming the playoffs were moving to at least 8 teams? I see less reason for them to move quickly into the SEC now. Especially with A&M, UGA and Bama ranking 1,2,3 in this last recruiting. A&M set the record and they've still got a couple of 4-5 stars pending. I do not think the folks at UT are ready to be the tail and not the dog. The eyes of Texas are upon them and getting sleepy.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I guess it depends how many teams we have in playoffs. If it’s 12 then I could see automatic qualifier for power 5 conferences but would we really want a 8-4 conference winner for example if it left out 10 wins or more teams at large qualifying? IDK

I might be for tying in their ranking or records to conference winners so we don’t end up with .500 or barely above in playoffs like we have in professional sports.

And looks like we’ll need to use the major bowls as playoff locations on Jan 1st as they aren’t willing to lose those traditions .

The more I look at this the more I see it staying the same with 4 teams . And if that’s the case I could see an advantage remaining in a Big 12 or PAC 12 for example and going undefeated with a better shot of reaching playoffs than 1 or 2 losses in SEC or Big 10.
I am a 12-team playoff guy
But yes I'd rather see an 8-4 conf champ than a 9-3 3rd place team.
You limit rematches, cover essentially the entire country, remove any built-in "voting" biases.

Cincy lost 7 games this regular season. But they played very well in the playoffs and got to the SB.
And they were the pulled for squad as the underdog.
Made for great theater and ratings.

NCAA has to be wise here and protect itself.
They do not want to lose big money markets on the West coast.
The Pac whatever has been awful but the sport needs that conference to participate.

There is no such thing as to much end game style competition.
NBA, NVL. MLB, NCAAB all play advance based tourneys.
NCAA D2/3 and all lower levels also play playoff tourneys.
You cannot print money fast enough for those events.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Don't underestimate the failure of Cincinnati, the poster child for teams left out. If they made more impact, might get their attention but it was same ole same ole, two top 5 recruiting schools going at it.

On one hand, we hear about the same schools in it but without expanding the playoffs and continuing to have to top recruiting schools, where's the enticement for the 5 stars?

I wonder when OU and UT decided to make the SEC jump if they were assuming the playoffs were moving to at least 8 teams? I see less reason for them to move quickly into the SEC now. Especially with A&M, UGA and Bama ranking 1,2,3 in this last recruiting. A&M set the record and they've still got a couple of 4-5 stars pending. I do not think the folks at UT are ready to be the tail and not the dog. The eyes of Texas are upon them and getting sleepy.
OU/UT were not moving to the SEC until 2025 regardless.
I've explained this a dozen times and it feels like I'll still be explaining it in 2025.
They willingly signed away the Media rights to their home games as part of the agreement to stay at 10 teams and pay out highest dollar.

UT is already greatly disturbing SEC folks because rumors are they have a major say in conference realignment scheduling/pods when it occurs.
A Texas/OU/ARK/TAMU pod is the rumor. Which tees off LSU and TAMU quite a lot.

OU has been a national power but they built that stealing kids out of Cali. Now they are a staff based largely out of the ACC/SEC areas.
Can they stay a top 10 program? I don't think anyone knows yet. Brent was super in-demand but will they have the offense to go out and win at a high level yearly?

UT has been one of the countries biggest mysteries. They have recruited well and paid dearly for coaches. No excuse to suck as they have.

Bama/Cincy drew16.6 M views. That's insane ratings. So it was definitely good for football. Same as Cincy in NFL.
And that Semifinal game was actually closer than Georgia/Michigan.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I am a 12-team playoff guy
But yes I'd rather see an 8-4 conf champ than a 9-3 3rd place team.
You limit rematches, cover essentially the entire country, remove any built-in "voting" biases.

Cincy lost 7 games this regular season. But they played very well in the playoffs and got to the SB.
And they were the pulled for squad as the underdog.
Made for great theater and ratings.

NCAA has to be wise here and protect itself.
They do not want to lose big money markets on the West coast.
The Pac whatever has been awful but the sport needs that conference to participate.

There is no such thing as to much end game style competition.
NBA, NVL. MLB, NCAAB all play advance based tourneys.
NCAA D2/3 and all lower levels also play playoff tourneys.
You cannot print money fast enough for those events.
Bengals had a good enough record to get in .

If your supporting West Coast teams get in because of the revenue potential or loss and their ranking or record ( remember I said ranking too) then you’re basically not wanting the best 12 teams?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
OU/UT were not moving to the SEC until 2025 regardless.
I've explained this a dozen times and it feels like I'll still be explaining it in 2025.
They willingly signed away the Media rights to their home games as part of the agreement to stay at 10 teams and pay out highest dollar.

UT is already greatly disturbing SEC folks because rumors are they have a major say in conference realignment scheduling/pods when it occurs.
A Texas/OU/ARK/TAMU pod is the rumor. Which tees off LSU and TAMU quite a lot.

OU has been a national power but they built that stealing kids out of Cali. Now they are a staff based largely out of the ACC/SEC areas.
Can they stay a top 10 program? I don't think anyone knows yet. Brent was super in-demand but will they have the offense to go out and win at a high level yearly?

UT has been one of the countries biggest mysteries. They have recruited well and paid dearly for coaches. No excuse to suck as they have.

Bama/Cincy drew16.6 M views. That's insane ratings. So it was definitely good for football. Same as Cincy in NFL.
And that Semifinal game was actually closer than Georgia/Michigan.
Texas has missed in recruiting in recent years on one major area or position . A QB.

And perhaps why they are aggressively pursuing Arch Manning. That could be their home run.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Yep , the Whorns and UO are like,WTH just happened. They were counting on expansion . Going to be tough getting in playoffs with only 4 teams. And UO is still reeling from Riley deserting them.

But Tceepers could hit a home run if they sign Arch Manning. The one big piece they haven’t hit in recent years. If not, prob more of the same. But I bet he stays in SEC. Especially since Whorns prob not moving until at least 2024 with new TV deal on ABC/ESPN.

They weren't even really relative in Little 10 like they should have been. They fired best HC they’d had in years. Complete fools. 40 acres is just going to love being a dormant school. Lol

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Bengals had a good enough record to get in .

If your supporting West Coast teams get in because of the revenue potential or loss and their ranking or record ( remember I said ranking too) then you’re basically not wanting the best 12 teams?
I am wanting the conference champs of each of the P5.
They have all completed step 1. Win your conference.
Same as with NFL/NBA/NHL any other sport.

D1 college football still acts as if it 1965 on some levels while offering NIL and free transfers.
It is all just goofy.

Every major sport is trying to expand their brands while NCAA Football is like naw let's just let the poorest states have the one thing they are good at unchecked while 1/3 of the country ignores it.

12 teams.
Each P5 champ.
Top ranked Go5 team.
6 highest remaining teams in BCS style ranking (AP/Coaches/Computers)

Seed them 1-6 for auto bids, then 7-12 for rest.

2020 would have given us something like this

First-round matchups in 2020
  • No. 8 Notre Dame vs. No. 9 Georgia
  • Winner plays No. 1 Alabama (SEC Champ)
  • No. 5 Cincinnati (Gof5 1) vs. No. 12 Indiana
  • Winner plays No. 4 Oklahoma (B12 champ)
  • No. 7 Texas A&M vs. No. 10 Iowa State
  • Winner plays No. 2 Clemson (ACC Champ)
  • No. 6 Oregon (P12 champ) vs. No. 11 Florida
  • Winner plays No. 3 Ohio State (B10 Champ)

You get a lot less elite players skipping bowl games/season.
You get more quality football.
You engage a lot more of the country.
You have more meaningful football games to make even more money.
And you get teams who actually develop over 16 weeks the way the Bengals did.
You also simply get more upsets because good teams play other good teams which increases intrigue and viewership.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Texas has missed in recruiting in recent years on one major area or position . A QB.

And perhaps why they are aggressively pursuing Arch Manning. That could be their home run.
Texas has collected highly rated QBs and just not developed them.
IMO the biggest thing they have missed on is not being aggressive enough with transfers which they obviously have addressed with Quinn Ewers.

But yes offering Manziel, RG3, Kyler as safeties are hilarious recruiting woes.
UT is a long shot in the Manning sweepstakes from what I read.
But with NIL stuff UT will definitely recruit well.
They can outspend anyone in the SEC as TAMU did this season.
But they've recruited well in rankings and done jack squat with it.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yep , the Whorns and UO are like,WTH just happened. They were counting on expansion . Going to be tough getting in playoffs with only 4 teams. And UO is still reeling from Riley deserting them.

But Tceepers could hit a home run if they sign Arch Manning. The one big piece they haven’t hit in recent years. If not, prob more of the same. But I bet he stays in SEC. Especially since Whorns prob not moving until at least 2024 with new TV deal on ABC/ESPN.

They weren't even really relative in Little 10 like they should have been. They fired best HC they’d had in years. Complete fools. 40 acres is just going to love being a dormant school. Lol
Last year UT couldn't catch the ball.
They had as much QB talent on campus as anyone outside the top 10 but helped the QBs zero with WRs dropping easily catchable passes.

Casey Thompson is the likely starter for Nebraska next year.
Hudson Card will likely be a top 10 transfer target if he leaves UT.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

D1 college football still acts as if it 1965 on some levels while offering NIL and free transfers.
It is all just goofy.

Every major sport is trying to expand their brands while NCAA Football is like naw let's just let the poorest states have the one thing they are good at unchecked while 1/3 of the country ignores it.

12 teams.
Each P5 champ.
Top ranked Go5 team.

You also simply get more upsets because good teams play other good teams which increases intrigue and viewership.
That’s pretty much the plan being presented . And that’s fine .

I’d be ok with 8. And honestly I’m good with 4. I don’t need the same finality in Div 1 as others levels or sports . I’m a traditionalist. I miss the New Years bowls meaning something.

The biggest hurdle is what to do with the bowls . Especially the biggest named bowl games.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The NCAAF has got to be one of the stupidest orgs around.
The big schools and conferences are more concerned about their revenue than determining a champion for the fans. It’s all about their self interest.

The 4 team playoff has already diminished the bowl games. A 12 team could practically kill it. Too many schools and conferences benefit from the revenue and recruiting exposure bowl games provide regardless how meaningless they’ve become to most fans.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One advantage to the post season for college football in expanding is fewer players opting out of bowl games. If the game matters, they have an image problem not playing.

If I am a payer headed to the NFL and not in the CFP, no way I risk anything for a meaningless game except to the school's coffers, which they do not share with players.

terra

Reaction score

It is all just goofy.

12 teams.
Each P5 champ.
Top ranked Go5 team.

o more than 6 because that is all the legitimate contenders you are ever going to get. Of those twelve you mentioned 8 of them would have gotten waxed by the four that got in.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One advantage to the post season for college football in expanding is fewer players opting out of bowl games. If the game matters, they have an image problem not playing.

If I am a payer headed to the NFL and not in the CFP, no way I risk anything for a meaningless game except to the school's coffers, which they do not share with players.

But that is not what actually happens. None of the final 4 teams had players opting out. I do think an expanded playoff would require a shorter regular season and additional compensation for players.