No expanded CFP until 2026

kskboys

Reaction score
I am wanting the conference champs of each of the P5.
They have all completed step 1. Win your conference.
Same as with NFL/NBA/NHL any other sport.

D1 college football still acts as if it 1965 on some levels while offering NIL and free transfers.
It is all just goofy.

Every major sport is trying to expand their brands while NCAA Football is like naw let's just let the poorest states have the one thing they are good at unchecked while 1/3 of the country ignores it.

12 teams.
Each P5 champ.
Top ranked Go5 team.
6 highest remaining teams in BCS style ranking (AP/Coaches/Computers)

Seed them 1-6 for auto bids, then 7-12 for rest.

2020 would have given us something like this

First-round matchups in 2020
  • No. 8 Notre Dame vs. No. 9 Georgia
  • Winner plays No. 1 Alabama (SEC Champ)
  • No. 5 Cincinnati (Gof5 1) vs. No. 12 Indiana
  • Winner plays No. 4 Oklahoma (B12 champ)
  • No. 7 Texas A&M vs. No. 10 Iowa State
  • Winner plays No. 2 Clemson (ACC Champ)
  • No. 6 Oregon (P12 champ) vs. No. 11 Florida
  • Winner plays No. 3 Ohio State (B10 Champ)
You get a lot less elite players skipping bowl games/season.
You get more quality football.
You engage a lot more of the country.
You have more meaningful football games to make even more money.
And you get teams who actually develop over 16 weeks the way the Bengals did.
You also simply get more upsets because good teams play other good teams which increases intrigue and viewership.
Very well done!!!

So simple and logical.

I am an NFL fan. I watch maybe 2 or 4 college games per year. Add in the playoffs, and I'm watching 20 or 40. Makes the whole thing legit. Right now, I love your word for it, goofy. That's what the NCAAF is, goofy.

kskboys

Reaction score
But that is not what actually happens. None of the final 4 teams had players opting out. I do think an expanded playoff would require a shorter regular season and additional compensation for players.
Of course not. Because those games mean something. The other bowl games mean nothing.

kskboys

Reaction score
o more than 6 because that is all the legitimate contenders you are ever going to get. Of those twelve you mentioned 8 of them would have gotten waxed by the four that got in.
The idea you're presenting is that lower ranked teams should not get into the playoffs. So, you're saying the NFL should go back to 2 teams in each conf making the playoffs?

And then, you're failing to take into account the changes. W/ a playoff system comes much better recruiting prospects for teams outside the top few. Sooooo, those 4 waxings would be a whole different ballgame.

kskboys

Reaction score
The big schools and conferences are more concerned about their revenue than determining a champion for the fans. It’s all about their self interest.

The 4 team playoff has already diminished the bowl games. A 12 team could practically kill it. Too many schools and conferences benefit from the revenue and recruiting exposure bowl games provide regardless how meaningless they’ve become to most fans.
Bowl games are dead.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course not. Because those games mean something. The other bowl games mean nothing.

I don't see how we disagree. I never said we should keep the meaningless bowl games. I was responding to CC who said that he wouldn't play in an expanded playoff if he were an NFL prospect.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
o more than 6 because that is all the legitimate contenders you are ever going to get. Of those twelve you mentioned 8 of them would have gotten waxed by the four that got in.
No one knows that for sure.
We are producing very few battle-tested 0 loss teams.
All these teams have off weeks.

Was Bama the 2nd best team in the country this year?
Very likely, but they also had a cheese resume heading into the SEC CG.
They proved they were good essentially in the playoffs.
Which makes sense as they were star laden but very young.

Too many want to decide who won based on a 4-year running recruiting ranking and that's not sport.
Let a playoff determine it like every other level football and every other sport that matters.

Determining the NCAA D1 champ like a figure skating comp is hilarious and embarrassing.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
But that is not what actually happens. None of the final 4 teams had players opting out. I do think an expanded playoff would require a shorter regular season and additional compensation for players.
CC is saying the same thing you are.
Expand and fewer players opt out, which is net benefit to more meaningful football.

kskboys

Reaction score
These old codgers running this thing are too filled w/ self importance to see how they're sabotaging their own kitty.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see how we disagree. I never said we should keep the meaningless bowl games. I was responding to CC who said that he wouldn't play in an expanded playoff if he were an NFL prospect.
No, I would play if it were part of the CFP because that matters to my teammates. Outside of those 4 games, I would not play without compensation because that's all the bowl games are, money for the schools.