News: No extension in works for Jason Garrett

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Parcells was a scam to sell a new stadium, nothing more. There was no one happier than Jerry when Bill left the building. IMO it will be a very long time until you see a coach like Parcells or Harbaugh on this team because they won't let him play with his toy the way coaches like Garrett or Wade do.

You can hear it in the way he talks about Garrett. They have a "great working relationship." "Jason really understands me and what I want to do." Most of all, he's not "walking on eggshells" like he was with Parcells.

And if Jerry doesn't make moves because of his ego, what the heck happened with Jimmy? He let a two time SB winning coach and architect of his championship team walk away for why? Lack of production?

I"m not saying Jerry's ego isn't an issue. Just that he's not deciding not to hire someone who otherwise would be willing to work with him because he doesn't want to share credit. Jerry getting whatever credit he wants is a condition of taking the job in the first place. Any coach not comfortable with that would self-select not to work here.

But Bill's about as prickly as you're going to get in that regard, and he never had anything bad to say about Jerry whatsoever. The stuff about Jerry being happy when Bill left...not sure where it comes from. Bill really left us in the lurch that particular offseason and, while I'm sure he was no picnic to be around, I don't think it was because of any issues between he and Jerry. I think Bill was pretty much a miserable old ******* wherever he worked.

I actually think Harbaugh could be a really successful coach in Dallas if he and Jerry could divide their territories properly. It's a huge stage with a lot of credit to go around and a roster that, by next season, ought to be in good shape. For a guy with a track record of improving QBs, having Romo and finding a guy to develop behind him with the rest of a decent roster (after next year's draft/VFA period) and a clean cap in place makes the Dallas gig a plum for anybody interested in taking credit for years of reported disarray.

We're in agreement on what Jerry thinks about Garrett. I'm sure we don't agree that I happen to think Jerry's right in this case, but we're reading the public signs the same way, anyway.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
This year is a good measuring stick of Garrett's head coaching ability.

We have a good offense and a poor defense. The players are HIS players. He has had plenty of time to mold the identity and style of the team.

If we go 10-6, it's fair to say that he did a good job. He curbed the deficiencies of the defense and amplified the strengths of the offense. If we go 5-11, then he clearly doesn't know how to handle a team. And if we go 8-8, that is likely the best we will ever do under him unless we are so incredibly stacked on both sides of the ball.

YR
Did you ever see the movie Ground Hog Day?

It's pretty clear what the patterns are.

Coy

Reaction score
This year is a good measuring stick of Garrett's head coaching ability.

We have a good offense and a poor defense. The players are HIS players. He has had plenty of time to mold the identity and style of the team.

If we go 10-6, it's fair to say that he did a good job. He curbed the deficiencies of the defense and amplified the strengths of the offense. If we go 5-11, then he clearly doesn't know how to handle a team. And if we go 8-8, that is likely the best we will ever do under him unless we are so incredibly stacked on both sides of the ball.

YR

Bravo