CFZ No more earning "Trust"

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I have always been a Jerry supporter. I have also believed that treating players as Jerry does couldnt but help us keep players that we want to keep. But after what just happened with Gregory, I hope our front office just learned a very valuable lesson that I actually learned about 20 years ago.

I coached club sports. I got along with my parents incredibly well and more importantly, my players did and most still do love me. I have been to 12 former players weddings and I have 2 more coming up in the next year. Players dont ask you to their weddings unless you mean something to them. One of the kids getting married this year, I havent coached since 2006.

That being said, we had a TREMENDOUS team and they were all age eligible to return to my team the following Summer. We would have dominated and had a legit shot at winning nationals. These parents all agreed they were going to return the following year. Then 3 "Gold," teams came calling. I wont explain it in detail, but these are older teams that were getting seen by colleges, even though my players were young. 3 of those players that were TREMENDOUS up and left me. It broke my heart, because, much like Jerry, I was more than just a coach. I loved those kids. In the end, those parents will always do whatever they feel is best for THEM. Screw the team and absolutely screw whatever relationship you think you have. I decided that year that I would NEVER allow myself to get that close to my players again as I couldnt take that stuff personally any longer, it was simply too emotional.

This is it for Jerry. Players will always do what is best for them.... the Cowboys better learn that and start doing the same. There is VERY LITTLE loyalty out there. Look how unhappy Rodgers was in GB. Remember when they drafted Love? All of the sudden it was about lack of respect and trust and Rodgers wanted out. 4 years and 200 million dollar contract later, the packers love and respect him again.....lol

Players dont give one crap about you Jerry. You shouldnt give on crap about them. This is why I never shed a tear when we boot a player. My loyalty has and always will be about the team and never the player. I actually spent 4 or 5 hours at a bar table watching college football and sharing drinks with Gregory 3 years ago when he was suspended, I actually remember telling that to his face. He was cool and gracious, and I wish him nothing but the best......but the team is my concern, not the player. Time to wake up Cowboys... you just got the shaft. Dont cry about it, learn from it.
But does Jerry learn?
Has he shown that ability?
We need a professional GM.
This off season has really crystallized this.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think there is one truth beneath all of this that we haven't really discussed and it relates to this part-time GM job of his, he is lazy. Oh, he'll go anywhere for exposure but the true nuts and bolts of being a GM in the NFL are not in his wheelhouse.

That is one tough job and it never stops because they have to constantly be prepared for anything as we saw with the Rams GM, Snead, this past season as well as the Bucs GM, Licht, the previous season.

A lazy GM announces his team ready and begins the sales presentation and a real GM is too busy and occupied to show off. Plus, he reports to an owner than expects a certain amount of time devoted to a high paying position, and one so critical to the success of his franchise.

Now, we get another look behind the curtain with this Gregory embarrassment. The owner delegates to the son and the son delegates to the contract negotiator, whom I did not know existed with that title, and they lose a prized possession of the owner. It seems this country club atmosphere just continues to grow.

Booger is a really bad GM because of the lack of respect he gives to the job of General Manager. He is just like I was when my Dad succinctly described the difference between a boy and a man. And I was a man's age at the time. He said "a boy does what he wants to do; a man does what he has to do". Booger is a boy in a man's job.
Job well done, CC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aven8

Reaction score
Jerry is a nut but he’s always been sincere at least most of the time. The problem now is he’s good cop and Stephen is bad cop. It doesn’t work

ESisback

Reaction score
I think there is one truth beneath all of this that we haven't really discussed and it relates to this part-time GM job of his, he is lazy. Oh, he'll go anywhere for exposure but the true nuts and bolts of being a GM in the NFL are not in his wheelhouse.

That is one tough job and it never stops because they have to constantly be prepared for anything as we saw with the Rams GM, Snead, this past season as well as the Bucs GM, Licht, the previous season.

A lazy GM announces his team ready and begins the sales presentation and a real GM is too busy and occupied to show off. Plus, he reports to an owner than expects a certain amount of time devoted to a high paying position, and one so critical to the success of his franchise.

Now, we get another look behind the curtain with this Gregory embarrassment. The owner delegates to the son and the son delegates to the contract negotiator, whom I did not know existed with that title, and they lose a prized possession of the owner. It seems this country club atmosphere just continues to grow.

Booger is a really bad GM because of the lack of respect he gives to the job of General Manager. He is just like I was when my Dad succinctly described the difference between a boy and a man. And I was a man's age at the time. He said "a boy does what he wants to do; a man does what he has to do". Booger is a boy in a man's job.
That sounds fairly accurate, although I gotta say, I’m not quite 100% on it, because I don’t have inside confirmation of Jerry’s personal schedule. I’m not trying to be facetious—I know guys who aren’t lazy, they put the time in, they care, and they STILL haven’t hit “the big one”, and there are many possible reasons. Laziness and incompetence are just two possibilities.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
I have always been a Jerry supporter. I have also believed that treating players as Jerry does couldnt but help us keep players that we want to keep. But after what just happened with Gregory, I hope our front office just learned a very valuable lesson that I actually learned about 20 years ago.

I coached club sports. I got along with my parents incredibly well and more importantly, my players did and most still do love me. I have been to 12 former players weddings and I have 2 more coming up in the next year. Players dont ask you to their weddings unless you mean something to them. One of the kids getting married this year, I havent coached since 2006.

That being said, we had a TREMENDOUS team and they were all age eligible to return to my team the following Summer. We would have dominated and had a legit shot at winning nationals. These parents all agreed they were going to return the following year. Then 3 "Gold," teams came calling. I wont explain it in detail, but these are older teams that were getting seen by colleges, even though my players were young. 3 of those players that were TREMENDOUS up and left me. It broke my heart, because, much like Jerry, I was more than just a coach. I loved those kids. In the end, those parents will always do whatever they feel is best for THEM. Screw the team and absolutely screw whatever relationship you think you have. I decided that year that I would NEVER allow myself to get that close to my players again as I couldnt take that stuff personally any longer, it was simply too emotional.

This is it for Jerry. Players will always do what is best for them.... the Cowboys better learn that and start doing the same. There is VERY LITTLE loyalty out there. Look how unhappy Rodgers was in GB. Remember when they drafted Love? All of the sudden it was about lack of respect and trust and Rodgers wanted out. 4 years and 200 million dollar contract later, the packers love and respect him again.....lol

Players dont give one crap about you Jerry. You shouldnt give on crap about them. This is why I never shed a tear when we boot a player. My loyalty has and always will be about the team and never the player. I actually spent 4 or 5 hours at a bar table watching college football and sharing drinks with Gregory 3 years ago when he was suspended, I actually remember telling that to his face. He was cool and gracious, and I wish him nothing but the best......but the team is my concern, not the player. Time to wake up Cowboys... you just got the shaft. Dont cry about it, learn from it.

I stopped reading after your first line. “I’ve always been a Jerry supporter” Until he dies this team won’t do a damn thing.

Creeper

Reaction score
I see how players on other teams react to news their team has signed a top free agent. It excites the players because they see their management trying to improve the team. It makes them confident going into the season. I imagine teams that lose top players have the opposite reaction. The Cowboys players watch Ced Wilson, Amari Cooper, Randy Gregory and La'el Collins heading out the door and it must be a letdown. I think Micah's tweet was an expression of that emotion. If they don't get a deal done with Kearse or sign some good players to replace the guys they lost I think the Cowboys players are going to be thinking it will be a down year for the team the same way we the fans think it will be.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

I was at the same bar table and he told you to go get your shinebox.

nobody

Reaction score
That sounds fairly accurate, although I gotta say, I’m not quite 100% on it, because I don’t have inside confirmation of Jerry’s personal schedule. I’m not trying to be facetious—I know guys who aren’t lazy, they put the time in, they care, and they STILL haven’t hit “the big one”, and there are many possible reasons. Laziness and incompetence are just two possibilities.

Jerry might not be lazy, but a GM position is a full time job requiring constant attention. Because of all of the hats he wears and other things he does, he is more of a part-time GM. Therefore he's, in essence, the equivalent to a lazy GM.
He just don't have the time or motivation to put in all of the work it takes. He's busy doing other stuff. He's accountable to nobody so doesn't feel the need to alter his ways to find more success.

So I'd say he's an incompetent, narcissistic control-freak who can't stand the idea than anyone but him get the attention and credit....so the team suffers for it.

He might be lazy too, he might not. He simply doesn't delegate enough other things to be able to spend the necessary time to do the job right.

ESisback

Reaction score
Jerry might not be lazy, but a GM position is a full time job requiring constant attention. Because of all of the hats he wears and other things he does, he is more of a part-time GM. Therefore he's, in essence, the equivalent to a lazy GM.
He just don't have the time or motivation to put in all of the work it takes. He's busy doing other stuff. He's accountable to nobody so doesn't feel the need to alter his ways to find more success.

So I'd say he's an incompetent, narcissistic control-freak who can't stand the idea than anyone but him get the attention and credit....so the team suffers for it.

He might be lazy too, he might not. He simply doesn't delegate enough other things to be able to spend the necessary time to do the job right.
Yeah, it makes sense. He wears a lot of hats. Plus, a rich powerful guy doesn’t have to do anything he doesn’t want to do, and Jerry does “enjoy life”, which takes time and attention. All I’m saying is to me, it’s not 100% guaranteed. Successful people are also driven, often workaholics.

tunahelper

Reaction score
I think having language that covers any suspension is an absolute necessity with Gregory. However, if the Jones cartel were trying to deduct guaranteed money for a fine that would not fly with me either.

Yes, Gregory screwed up bad on many occasions, but a fine occurs and his contract is in jeopardy? Also if they failed to mention this clause in contract negotiations it just doesn't look right. Poorly handled contract negotiation.

This team has made so many dumb decisions since their last Superbowl win it has become deflating.

Here is a sobering thought for us fans-

Jerry's legacy will be he could never win another Superbowl and we fans slopped through the clown festival year after year.

plymkr

Reaction score

Either lazy or part time we need a focused full time GM. I feel he's 33% GM, 33% want to be coach and 33% celebrity. We need 100% GM for the job.

plymkr

Reaction score
I think having language that covers any suspension is an absolute necessity with Gregory. However, if the Jones cartel were trying to deduct guaranteed money for a fine that would not fly with me either.

Yes, Gregory screwed up bad on many occasions, but a fine occurs and his contract is in jeopardy? Also if they failed to mention this clause in contract negotiations it just doesn't look right. Poorly handled contract negotiation.

This team has made so many dumb decisions since their last Superbowl win it has become deflating.

Here is a sobering thought for us fans-

Jerry's legacy will be he could never win another Superbowl and we fans slopped through the clown festival year after year.
I would add to your post Jerry's legacy will be he never could build a super bowl team without Jimmy Johnson. In 95 it was still Jimmy's drafted and built team, fading away, but still Jimmy's product.

I would say the Jerry Jones team building started with Aikman retired to now.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
JJones does care a lot but he is a poor talent evaluator. This last couple of weeks have been horrible but he’ll never hire a GM. I like him as a man but hate him as an evaluator.
Im tired of ranting at Jones I can go support other teams and I do like a couple of others QB’s. The obvious is Joe and Herbert. I’ll watch the Cowboys

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There is no GM in this organization. There are owners; then the coaching staff and players. This is no comparison to the Red Sox, or baseball at all. Better run organizations, usually have better production. The GM is an integral part of management. Stephen, has been playing the pseudo manager, and turning gold to garbage.

Section446

Reaction score
Jerry and his obsession with average players has wasted decades of time.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Last edited: