No one "hated" Dak back in 2016

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Well he was 3-1 that year. Oh yeah, forgot there are 16 games in a season for most QBs.
Yeah; he turned it on in the final minutes of week 1 to win thanks to Eli’s gaffe stopping the clock.

He led the offense to 6 points against Philly in 3 quarters in week 2. Thankfully the special teams scored a TD and Weeden threw a TD pass in the 4th.

Then we beat a crappy Miami team in his return. He didn’t play too well that game. Thankfully the defense scored a TD and special teams set up another FG, but the offense struggled like it did all year despite which QB played.

Then he got destroyed against Carolina.

All QBs sucked in 2015 including Romo.

pete026

Reaction score
Yeah; he turned it on in the final minutes of week 1 to win thanks to Eli’s gaffe stopping the clock.

He led the offense to 6 points against Philly in 3 quarters in week 2. Thankfully the special teams scored a TD and Weeden threw a TD pass in the 4th.

Then we beat a crappy Miami team in his return. He didn’t play too well that game. Thankfully the defense scored a TD and special teams set up another FG, but the offense struggled like it did all year despite which QB played.

Then he got destroyed against Carolina.

All QBs sucked in 2015 including Romo.
Yeah I was about to edit my post "Upon further review" but you beat me to it. I am hearing the thundering footsteps of the Romo knob gobblers on the way.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
He wasn’t very good in 2015.
??
Your spin moves are almost as good as Romo's lol.

So the 2014 Romo-led Cowboys w/Murray scored only 1 TD in the 1st quarter of the GB playoff game and were shutout in the 1st quarter of the Lions game. The GB TD was the only Dallas 1st quarter playoff TD in 6 Romo playoff games.

Now explain again how 2016 was going to magically be different? Your original point that I questioned was "with Romo playing in the 2016 playoff game, the Cowboys would have gotten off to a guick start".

Hint: this isn't only a Romo issue. The Cowboys have stunk at getting off to quick starts for many years which is why it was shocking that you would use it to make your point earlier.
Well lol maybe I should have said a better start?
I think it would be better than the 0-21 start dak had .
And again your referring to tonys whole career spanning many years , and I am saying as far as playoffs and desire to win tony was better
starting in 2014.
In fact had tony started that game, the whole game would have been different.
I cant say how it would have gone, but just imo it would have been a closer game and dallas would have had a better chance to win.

khiladi

Reaction score
Your spin moves are almost as good as Romo's lol.

So the 2014 Romo-led Cowboys w/Murray scored only 1 TD in the 1st quarter of the GB playoff game and were shutout in the 1st quarter of the Lions game. The GB TD was the only Dallas 1st quarter playoff TD in 6 Romo playoff games.

Now explain again how 2016 was going to magically be different? Your original point that I questioned was "with Romo playing in the 2016 playoff game, the Cowboys would have gotten off to a guick start".

Hint: this isn't only a Romo issue. The Cowboys have stunk at getting off to quick starts for many years which is why it was shocking that you would use it to make your point earlier.

Dallas was playing in GB on the road, where GB was undefeated and it was sub-freezing temperatures and Romo was near perfect throwing the ball against GBs starting CBs. Sean Lee wasn’t even playing that year. Murray fumbled on a wide open hole based on a run pass option called by Romo.

GB in 2016 had DBs off the street and were wobbling into the playoffs and their defense was giving up 400 yards regularly in the last 4-5 games and Dallas was playing at home, not in sub-zero temperatures.

Completely different scenarios and any analogy between the two is entirely absurd. The 2016 GB team was a cluster and mid-season most it looked like they weren’t even going to make the playoffs, but AR carried them.

2014 was the first year Romo haD control of the offense with Linehan when Jerry made Garrett a walk around head coach and forbidden from touching the offense. Garrett didn’t even allow Romo in game planning meetings. It was forced from on top by Jerry in 2013 and that’s when Garrett started losing influence. The 2014 as even per Wade Wilson was basically Romo’s offense with Linehan. That’s when Romo was finally allowed input into the offense.

Garrett had no clue how to field a running game. 2012 was Garrett’s absolute worst year and that’s when Jerry started to Change, including letting John Garrett go. Dak wasn’t playing with Garrett calling plays. He never did and it’s a baseless claim. Dallas was bottom of the league in play action passing with Garrett as play caller. The first year with Linehan and Dak, they were top 3 in play action usage. Linehan completely revamped the offense to make it easier for Dak.

Dak fans are leveraging the excuses of Romo that actually applies to Romo, not Dak. Romo has scrubs on OL. Davis was Journey man bust, gurode couldn’t even call plays, Columbo was a journeyman. The OL only changed to zone blocking when Dallas lucked into Callahan.

khiladi

Reaction score
2015, Dallas didn’t even go into the season with a definitive starting RB and Zach Martin was playing with a neck injury the first few games. Dez didn’t play in the second game and had a high ankle sprain. And Leary only started the first game, played 4 total games, got injured and than Bernadeau played.

Romo started two games in what was already lack of continuity and a mess in 2015.

pete026

Reaction score
Dallas was playing in GB on the road, where GB was undefeated and it was sub-freezing temperatures and Romo was near perfect throwing the ball against GBs starting CBs. Sean Lee wasn’t even playing that year. Murray fumbled on a wide open hole based on a run pass option called by Romo.

GB in 2016 had DBs off the street and were wobbling into the playoffs and their defense was giving up 400 yards regularly in the last 4-5 games and Dallas was playing at home, not in sub-zero temperatures.

Completely different scenarios and any analogy between the two is entirely absurd. The 2016 GB team was a cluster and mid-season most it looked like they weren’t even going to make the playoffs, but AR carried them.

2014 was the first year Romo haD control of the offense with Linehan when Jerry made Garrett a walk around head coach and forbidden from touching the offense. Garrett didn’t even allow Romo in game planning meetings. It was forced from on top by Jerry in 2013 and that’s when Garrett started losing influence. The 2014 as even per Wade Wilson was basically Romo’s offense with Linehan. That’s when Romo was finally allowed input into the offense.

Garrett had no clue how to field a running game. 2012 was Garrett’s absolute worst year and that’s when Jerry started to Change, including letting John Garrett go. Dak wasn’t playing with Garrett calling plays. He never did and it’s a baseless claim. Dallas was bottom of the league in play action passing with Garrett as play caller. The first year with Linehan and Dak, they were top 3 in play action usage. Linehan completely revamped the offense to make it easier for Dak.

Dak fans are leveraging the excuses of Romo that actually applies to Romo, not Dak. Romo has scrubs on OL. Davis was Journey man bust, gurode couldn’t even call plays, Columbo was a journeyman. The OL only changed to zone blocking when Dallas lucked into Callahan.
That is all good only it was a big swing and a miss if you are responding to me.

All those words and they have absolutely nothing to do with my point. But it was a nice trip down memory lane.

Aviano90, they are coming out of the closets lol.

khiladi

Reaction score
That is all good only it was a big swing and a miss if you are responding to me.

All those words and they have absolutely nothing to do with my point. But it was a nice trip down memory lane.

How was it a miss when I explained how wlecactly 2014 and 2016 were different. The Packers 2014 were one of the best teams in the league and playing their starting defensive backs in sub freezing temperatures. Romo was throwing near perfect in those conditions. The 2014 game Dallas had the lead going into the half with 14 points, meaning a quick start.

GB 2016 were garbage, especially their defense which was allowing multiply 400 plus yards into the playoffs and Dallas was playing at home where it wasn’t sub zero temperatures. They barely edged into the playoffs, but AR carried them against scrubs.

And that playoff game they had their fourth and fifth DBs that game. That’s why they got blown out by Atlanta the next week.

pete026

Reaction score
How was it a miss when I explained how wlecactly 2014 and 2016 were different. The Packers 2014 were one of the best teams in the league and playing their starting defensive backs in sub freezing temperatures. Romo was throwing near perfect in those conditions.

GB 2016 were garbage, especially their defense which was allowing multiply 400 plus yards into the playoffs and Dallas was playing at home where it wasn’t sub zero temperatures. They barely edged into the playoffs, but AR carried them against scrubs.

And that playoff game they had their fourth and fifth DBs that game. That’s why they got blown out by Atlanta the next week.
Because, for one thing, my comment had nothing to do with Dak.

He said Romo would have got Dallas off to a fast start if he started and there is no evidence to support it. And if you go back to my posts you will see that I didn't only blame Romo; slow starts by the Cowboys in playoffs has been a consistent theme for years.

Good to see you are back from your sabbatical. Hope things are well.

khiladi

Reaction score
Because, for one thing, my comment had nothing to do with Dak.

He said Romo would have got Dallas off to a fast start if he started and there is no evidence to support it. And if you go back to my posts you will see that I didn't only blame Romo; slow starts by the Cowboys in playoffs has been a consistent theme for years.

Good to see you are back from your sabbatical. Hope things are well.

There is evidence. The 2014 GB game. A much better team, with their starting CBS, Dallas got off to a fast start. They were up 14-7 by the half.

2016 GB was an awful defense and playing scrubs. They allowed over 400 yards in 4 of their last 5 games.

I don’t know where this slow start idea comes from in the playoffs. They scored 27 in the first half against the Eagles in 2009. There is a small sample size to draw and real conclusion.

Romo would have shredded that defense from the start. The Bears, at 3-11, put up around 450 yards against GB and rushed for over 220 yards against them.

Thanks for the welcome.

pete026

Reaction score
There is evidence. The 2014 GB game. A much better team, with their starting CBS, Dallas got off to a fast start. They were up 14-7 by the half.

2016 GB was an awful defense and playing scrubs. They allowed over 400 yards in 4 of their last 5 games.

I don’t know where this slow start idea comes from in the playoffs. They scored 27 in the first half against the Eagles in 2009. There is a small sample size to draw and real conclusion.

Romo would have shredded that defense from the start. The Bears, at 3-11, put up around 450 yards against GB and rushed for over 220 yards against them.

Thanks for the welcome.
Romo would have done this... Romo would have done that.

Why do you do it because my guess is, Tony would be embarrassed by the lame arguments you guys make for him. Being the nice guy he is, he would probably thank you but then go on and say the team didn’t get it done. Because you do realize that is what I am saying.... the team hasn't gotten off to fast starts in so long I can't even remember when but probably around the mid 90s.

Romo was a very good QB. He doesn't need the lame post career predictions and excuses. It undermines the kind of person he seems to be.

khiladi

Reaction score
Romo would have done this... Romo would have done that.

Why do you do it because my guess is, Tony would be embarrassed by the lame arguments you guys make for him. Being the nice guy he is, he would probably thank you but then go on and say the team didn’t get it done. Because you do realize that is what I am saying.... the team hasn't gotten off to fast starts in so long I can't even remember when but probably around the mid 90s.

Romo was a very good QB. He doesn't need the lame post career predictions and excuses. It undermines the kind of person he seems to be.

Your claim was they didn’t get off to fast starts.

if the case is with Garrett as OC, that’s true, because he sucked. We were amongst the lowest scoring teams in the first half through a large part of his horrendous career that Romo was saddled with.

But Garrett had no influence on offense by 2014. Linehan did.

If your talking playoffs, the sample size doesn’t support you. Detroit they go off to a slow start, but Romo carries them. Green Bay 2014, a much better GB team, Dallas was up 14-7 in the half.

Against the Eagles in 2009, they scored 27 the first half and blew out the Eagles.

the 2016 Packers were garbage and allowed the 3-11 Bears to put up 450 plus yards against them. GB was a defensive sieve going into the playoffs. Bunch of back up DBs.

pete026

Reaction score

if the case is with Garrett as OC, that’s true, because he sucked. And Garrett had no influence on offense by 2014.

If your talking playoffs, the sample size doesn’t support you. Detroit they go off to a slow start, but Romo carries them. Green Bay 2014, a much better GB team, Dallas was up 14-7 in the half.

Against the Eagles in 2009, they scored 27 the first half and blew out the Eagles.

the 2016 Packers were garbage and allowed the 3-11 Bears to put up 450 plus yards against them. GB was a defensive sieve going into the playoffs. Bunch of back up DBs.
I do not consider the first half as the definition of "the start" of a football game. First quarter is more in line with what I would consider the start of a game. But that is my opinion.

But the Cowboys have been considered "slow starters" particularly in the playoffs by smarter football people than me for many years including post-Romo.

First quarter playoff scores by the "Romo" years Cowboys because I couldn't come up with a better definition - 1 TD and 3 FGs in 6 games. Hell, Dak's Cowboys have almost that many in half the number of games and they have still been labeled "slow starts".

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score

if the case is with Garrett as OC, that’s true, because he sucked. We were amongst the lowest scoring teams in the first half through a large part of his horrendous career that Romo was saddled with.

But Garrett had no influence on offense by 2014. Linehan did.

@khiladi the goat is back :starspin:
:clap::flagwave:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

Aviano90, they are coming out of the closets lol.
I lnow. It always happens because there is a desire to come up with reasons why something doesn’t apply to Tony Romo, yet won’t extend that same courtesy to Dak Prescott.

In this case it’s Tony Romo would have carved up GB because their secondary was garbage. Now ask why he couldn’t carve up the 2007 NY Giant team whose secondary was garbage due to injuries. Our WRs were running free that game. Watch the excuses come out in that instance for why we only put up 17 points. There will be a lot of reasons not having to do with Romo, but again, they won’t look at the 2016 “slow start” and come up with the reasons that weren’t related to Dak which caused the 21-3 deficit.

It’s the double standard of how people treat the 2 QBs. They want to defend Romo but blame Dak for similar things.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There was negative talk about him in 2016 during the Cowboys franchise record 11 game winning streak. A poll was started during the streak with most fans wanting to go back to Romo despite the fact we were on a roll with Dak. Fans complained all he did was dink and dunk. They complained about his low numbers. From day one most fans weren’t sold on him and it hasn’t changed.
The haters really came out of hiding after he had a string of two bad games