No one talking about Matt Rhule this morning?

Sydla

Reaction score
Because I think we are more screwed because of Jerry. How many puppets have we had with no better results?

My support of Garrett again is revolved more around I haven’t seen any evidence this era Jerry is going to make a better decision. So, despite Jason’s coaching flaws I believe he offers much more off the field influencing a better product within the dysfunction of the immovable object.

Again, if the results aren't good enough why keep with the same puppet that hasn't done all that much better than previous puppets?

Go out and try to find another puppet who might do better. The on the field results are all that matters. So why does it matter how good you think Garrett is off the field if the on the field results aren't good enough?

It's really a bizarre line of logic you are trying to push here.

Sydla

Reaction score
Eh, not in the Big XII.

Uhhh, yeah it is. He basically rebuilt a program from scratch into a winner in 2 years, regardless of conference, that's a big deal.

I am curious, do you have a favorite college team?

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
jerry's past actions with Monty Kiffin for starters. History tends to repeat itself with Jerry.
Same with Rod. He wasn't calling plays anymore, but was still around for some reason. O'quinn wasn't fired after that awful ST season, he was just put somewhere else. So there's some truth to this

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's simply not true. He got a pretty solid pass those first two seasons when he went 8-8, with many just saying he was taking over a dysfunctional team that needed to be rebuilt. The third 8-8 season saw a lot more fans start to turn on him and yes, there were still fans livid about the extension but to suggest fans got on him right from teh start of his career is false.

Its 100% true. People were on Garrett, and they were on Romo. Despite the fact that we had some of the worst defenses in team history during those 2012-2013 seasons while we rebuilt.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Again, if the results aren't good enough why keep with the same puppet that hasn't done all that much better than previous puppets?

Go out and try to find another puppet who might do better. The on the field results are all that matters. So why does it matter how good you think Garrett is off the field if the on the field results aren't good enough?

It's really a bizarre line of logic you are trying to push here.
I don’t have a big problem with another puppet. But I’m not confident without the off field influence we will field a better team.

I feel our franchise is talent dependent and don’t believe based on the evidence I’ve seen this generation Jerry will attract or pursue a greater HC.

Sydla

Reaction score
Its 100% true. People were on Garrett, and they were on Romo. Despite the fact that we had some of the worst defenses in team history during those 2012-2013 seasons while we rebuilt.

You are simply making this up. Yes, some fans never liked the hire and were on him to start, but to insinuate that a large majority of fans got on Garrett right from the start and few gave him a fair shake is just made up to suit your own bizarre arguments here.

It just is.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don’t have a big problem with another puppet. But I’m not confident without the off field influence we will field a better team.

I feel our franchise is talent dependent and don’t believe based on the evidence I’ve seen this generation Jerry will attract or pursue a greater HC.

You are overstating Garrett's "influence" in the talent department.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am surprised there is not more chatter about Matt Rhule this morning after Baylor was defeated by a banged up Georgia Bulldogs team last night. I admit I haven't watched much college football this year and this was my first real look at Baylor and their head coach, Matt Rhule. Its one game and I will keep that in perspective, but as I watched the game I tried to picture Rhule as the Cowboys Head Coach. The parallels to the Cowboys were inescapable. Georgia was missing a bunch of injured starters yet they dominated. Does that sound familiar? Baylor made a lot of dumb mistakes, like encroachment penalties, dropped passes, and a really bad decision to go for it on 4th and 4 around mid-field early in the 4th quarter. They failed, gave Georgia momentum and a short field. Georgia drove for a TD to basically ice the game. I wonder if Rhule had a Maher-type kicker, would he have tried a 60 yard FG instead of going for it? This was all too reminiscent of the Cowboys 2019 season.

Again, it was one game, but maybe it was a sign that Matt Rhule is not the guy for the Dallas Cowboys.

Is he related to Garrett or has he ever worked for the Cowboys?

If the answer is NO, then he is on my wishlist...

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I've said it numerous times, I'd take Matt Rhule over any other candidate mentioned.....and it's not even close

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yep

The fact we were even competitive contending until final week for division with historically some of this franchises worst defenses while rebuilding was nothing short of remarkable.

Due to some of Romo’s best years and Garrett overcoming several different distractions. Those teams on paper shouldn’t have won more than 4 or 5 games.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I was generalizing in the first post, too. Because I’m speaking in general in this case. That doesn’t make the argument unsound.

Yes it does. You’re using a generalization as as basis for diminishing the relevancy of valid criticisms that fans do make.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You are overstating Garrett's "influence" in the talent department.
That’s the way I see it. And I think there’s evidence to support beginning with better drafts and personnel decisions in 2011 with Garretts inaugural season as HC along with Jason’s influence on promoting Will.

These last few years this team has been making much better decisions almost to the point last year if I recall correctly some fans felt Jerry was taking a lesser role .

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are simply making this up. Yes, some fans never liked the hire and were on him to start, but to insinuate that a large majority of fans got on Garrett right from the start and few gave him a fair shake is just made up to suit your own bizarre arguments here.

It just is.

I’m not making up a thing. You didn’t even have an account here until 2014, but there were fans who hated Garrett for “nepotism” going back to when he was named OC. They started right in with the stories that he sabotaged Wade in 2010, and by the third 8-8 year in 2013–a year before you first posted here and during the season you’re trying to pretend ‘started to turn on him’ —the mob was already in full-force. What you’re saying is simply completely untrue.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Uhhh, yeah it is. He basically rebuilt a program from scratch into a winner in 2 years, regardless of conference, that's a big deal.

I am curious, do you have a favorite college team?
It's not a big deal and it's not impressive, because they didn't and haven't beaten a ranked team. Call me when they beat someone worth beating. We'll know what Rhule is after next year when all of those seniors leave.

Not really - I watch Cuse and Miami mostly.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I’m not making up a thing. You didn’t even have an account here until 2014, but there were fans who hated Garrett for “nepotism” going back to when he was named OC. They started right in with the stories that he sabotaged Wade in 2010, and by the third 8-8 year in 2013–a year before you first posted here and during the season you’re trying to pretend ‘started to turn on him’ —the mob was already in full-force. What you’re saying is simply completely untrue.
I never liked him as an OC, never thought he should have been HC, and have been wanting him fired since Day 1.

So...yea lol. Though I don't really believe in the sabotaging stuff, he's just not a good coach.

Sydla

Reaction score
That’s the way I see it. And I think there’s evidence to support beginning with better drafts and personnel decisions in 2011 with Garretts inaugural season as HC along with Jason’s influence on promoting Will.

These last few years this team has been making much better decisions almost to the point last year if I recall correctly some fans felt Jerry was taking a lesser role .

Jason's influence in promoting McClay?

LOL.

Sydla

Reaction score

I posted on another Cowboys site before 2014.

You are simply making this whole fantasy that most fans didn't give Garrett a fair shake up. You just are.