No Riley Cooper Thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So.. he was out at a public event.

not like me or you.....but to him and people like him, they are insensitive to that word or other racist words like it. They are blasted with it daily, mainstream to them. Where he was and the crowd there, it's obvious he used it as a nasty barb rather than a racial slur

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
not like me or you.....but to him and people like him, they are insensitive to that word or other racist words like it. They are blasted with it daily, mainstream to them. Where he was and the crowd there, it's obvious he used it as a nasty barb rather than a racial slur

No matter how he used it, it was stupid.

WhizKid

Reaction score
It was stupid on his part. And although my views on the word are "old school" in thought, it happened at a Kenny Chesney concert on his free time. We don't know who he was referencing (the mass of males in attendance[which probably indicates an ignorant understanding of the word] or the sprinkled brothas in attendance[which probably indicates an ack bassword view on people]) so there is no point in making a big deal about it. as we don't know the intent. This is why I preached to my friends in college to never record any of the stupid stuff you see other people doing and post it on the internet. It really messes up people's lives.

With that being said, I don't believe for one second he doesn't know the meaning of the word, hence the apology the next day.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score

I don't think its that obvious.. to say so you would have to know things that you or i simply don't know.

Honestly though, you stereotyping the guy isn't much better than what he did.

"To him and people like him..".. you have no idea at all what the guy's background is like.

He certainly doesn't seem like the type who is engulfed in the current hip hop generation. Even if he did listen to that kind of music often, he's still a 25 year old man, who should absolutely know that saying something like that is wrong. He's not some 16 year old kid who is just caught up in a certain musical culture and doesn't know any better.. insinuating that much is ridiculous, imo.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
It was stupid on his part. And although my views on the word are "old school" in thought, it happened at a Kenny Chesney concert on his free time. We don't know who he was referencing (the mass of males in attendance[which probably indicates an ignorant understanding of the word] or the sprinkled brothas in attendance[which probably indicates an ack bassword view on people]) so there is no point in making a big deal about it. as we don't know the intent. This is why I preached to my friends in college to never record any of the stupid stuff you see other people doing and post it on the internet. It really messes up people's lives.

With that being said, I don't believe for one second he doesn't know the meaning of the word, hence the apology the next day.

This

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Just go to youtube and watch the video again and it will be clear.

I will fight every....... in here. Not I will fight ALL THESE.............in here

You don't see the difference

No.. and no one else does either. You would do yourself a favor to just move on to a different thread at this point.. just trying to help.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score

I said above, and agree completely that no doubt understands the meaning of the word.. i don't think the apology means much though, as he would have been told to do it anyway by the Eagles organization. Not to say he wasn't sorry.

Reaction score
No matter how he used it, it was stupid.

i agree

of course on the surface he knows the context of the word but when I said full meaning of it, do you think a 24/25 year old knows the history. Regardless, if the guy on his right and left in the locker room call each other and their buddies that word regularly, do you think there's a double standard of its use?

FiveRings

Reaction score
It's silly how everyone is up in arms over him saying a "bad word" but isn't saying squat about the context of it, him threatening to fight someone/a group of people. Would there be this kind of attention if he said "I'll fight every guy here"

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i agree

of course on the surface he knows the context of the word but when I said full meaning of it, do you think a 24/25 year old knows the history. Regardless, if the guy on his right and left in the locker room call each other and their buddies that word regularly, do you think there's a double standard of its use?
You can't live in this country as an adult and not know the history. It would be unrealistic to think he wouldn't considering that there's a whole month dedicated to the history of African Americans.

That said, there is a double standard. It is what it is.. I personally don't use the word and prefer folks around me not to use it, but I definitely won't allow any of my Caucasian friends to use the word in the vein of, "well, black people do it, why can't I?" That would be an immediate termination of friendship. Maybe not termination, but we'd certainly have a talk that any further use around me would not be acceptable.

WhizKid

Reaction score
i agree

I do think 24/25 yr olds know what it means. lol I myself am not that removed from that age and most of my friends are in that bracket.

Do I think there is a double standard? In the very literal sense of the definition of a double standard, yes. But given that, do you understand the historical context as to why there is one?

I don't condone the usage of said word, as I think it is a very ignorant way to express yourself, but I am well aware of it's "American" origin and how it was used and evolved over time.

Reaction score
I don't think its that obvious.. to say so you would have to know things that you or i simply don't know.

Honestly though, you stereotyping the guy isn't much better than what he did.

"To him and people like him..".. you have no idea at all what the guy's background is like.

He certainly doesn't seem like the type who is engulfed in the current hip hop generation. Even if he did listen to that kind of music often, he's still a 25 year old man, who should absolutely know that saying something like that is wrong. He's not some 16 year old kid who is just caught up in a certain musical culture and doesn't know any better.. insinuating that much is ridiculous, imo.

think what you want. I don't think you listen or watch mainstream music or tv......you're a bit detached.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's silly how everyone is up in arms over him saying a "bad word" but isn't saying squat about the context of it, him threatening to fight someone/a group of people. Would there be this kind of attention if he said "I'll fight every guy here"

Of course it wouldn't, because he wouldn't have added the racial component to the actual sentence. Soon as he added that, it changed the whole meaning of what he said.

dstovall5

Reaction score
I think it was a mistake on his end to use the word, especially in PUBLIC. Though, I don't think anyone should freak out about this, for example I seen Skip Bayless say the Eagles should cut him. What a joke, Skip yet again being a moron.

Not sure if many people realize this, but the word is used very frequently especially among African American athletes in the locker room. Every football locker room I've been into you hear the word dropped casually like it's no big deal. Also don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's OK to use the word, but lets not freak out because the MAJORITY of the NFL use the word. The word is VERY popular among the younger generation(15-30 years of age).

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seen on twitter

Jeff McLane ‏@Jeff_McLane 4h
Riley Cooper said that he was fined by the #Eagles.
Cooper said he was fined "a good amount of money." Said exact figure wasn't important.
Cooper said he had a confrontation with an African American security guard at the concert.
Riley Cooper just walked by in hall with rest of teammates. Was at the end with TE Zach Ertz.
Fletcher Cox on Riley Cooper: "Everybody makes mistakes."
Cox on Cooper: "I still trust him as a teammate. I still love Riley. I still look at him as one of my brothers."
Michael Vick said that Riley Cooper addressed the team and then there was open dialogue during an #Eagles team meeting.
Jason Avant on Riley Cooper's apology: Some guys accepted it right away. For some it may take days, weeks and months.
Avant: It hurts by as a Christian I will have mercy.

WhizKid

Reaction score
You can't live in this country as an adult and not know the history. It would be unrealistic to think he wouldn't considering that there's a whole month dedicated to the history of African Americans.

That said, there is a double standard. It is what it is.. I personally don't use the word and prefer folks around me not to use it, but I definitely won't allow any of my Caucasian friends to use the word in the vein of, "well, black people do it, why can't I?" That would be an immediate termination of friendship. Maybe not termination, but we'd certainly have a talk that any further use around me would not be acceptable.

This. Now, I have been around a lot of people who have used it who are not black. There was a time when I would fight over it, but given the context of usage and the situations at hand I simply asked to not use it in my presence as I do take it a sign of disrespect. I've never had a problem with it since I've turned to this way of handling it. Now, if someone blatantly calls me it out of anger or display of superiority then that is a different story.

FiveRings

Reaction score
Of course it wouldn't, because he wouldn't have added the racial component to the actual sentence. Soon as he added that, it changed the whole meaning of what he said.

But that's silly, saying something racist versus doing bodily harm to someone are two different things

Status
Not open for further replies.