No Trade Clauses

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Are you fine with players on this team having this added into their contracts? Does this give the player too much power over the organization? I'm not a fan of it for my own reasons, I just wanted to see how you all feel about them, please give your thoughts

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Are you fine with players on this team having this added into their contracts? Does this give the player too much power over the organization? I'm not a fan of it for my own reasons, I just wanted to see how you all feel about them, please give your thoughts
Get what you can. The system will chew them up and spit them out. Any person with any kind of leverage would get as much as they can. Wouldn't you? Please share your thoughts!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I would rather not have it. but its give and take. if they want this, what are they giving instead. its a negotiation.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The NFL, more so than any other sport, gives a ton of leverage to the owners, team, and league.

If a player has the leverage, they should use it.

Also, we should get a professional contract negotiator in the front office instead of Cap Boy. He gets his behind handed to him constantly.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not as if this is common or ever will be. The only ones that get this are top players with lots of leverage.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The NFL, more so than any other sport, gives a ton of leverage to the owners, team, and league.

If a player has the leverage, they should use it.

Also, we should get a professional contract negotiator in the front office instead of Cap Boy. He gets his behind handed to him constantly.
loooooool

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I don't really mind them simply because rarely are they actually no trade clauses. Guys have no trade clauses all the time but really it just means they get to pick a few destinations they would be OK going to. If I were in their shoes I would want one too. I don't want to have to live out the last couple years of my contract living in a part of the world I dont want to be in.

I will say though that typically to negotiate those types of things into a deal a slight discount on the contract should be given. Simple give and take.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't really mind them simply because rarely are they actually no trade clauses. Guys have no trade clauses all the time but really it just means they get to pick a few destinations they would be OK going to. If I were in their shoes I would want one too. I don't want to have to live out the last couple years of my contract living in a part of the world I dont want to be in.

I will say though that typically to negotiate those types of things into a deal a slight discount on the contract should be given. Simple give and take.
Might be the best line from you ever!

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a sports fan, do I like them? Not at all.

However, if I was a player then I would absolutely want it if I could get it so I don't blame the players for doing so when they get the chance.

The teams make the decision to give it to the player and if they decide to offer it, then that is on them if it bites them later.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
As a sports fan, do I like them? Not at all.

However, if I was a player then I would absolutely want it if I could get it so I don't blame the players for doing so when they get the chance.

The teams make the decision to give it to the player and if they decide to offer it, then that is on them if it bites them later.
In the end I think it has to be a respect thing honestly

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

My guess is that the "give and take" is less about paid money but rather focuses heavily on the back-end salaries that make it very likely the player will either be released, traded or extended before those years happen.

Because a lot of teams add additional years to contracts they have no intention of paying (at least not with the contract in question) to spread out the cap hit, so they are purposely designed to force the team and player to either renegotiate or release/trade them.

By giving a player a no-trade clause as part of that deal, it lets the player know that when that time comes, they will not be traded away and forced to play for another team on a one or two year (remaining) contract because that team has plenty of cap space.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Sports message boards...smh.

Invested with anti-pay player propaganda and now complaining about non-pay contract details.

How low can you go? Do you care about existence being decent for anyone but yourself?

Define the rewards instead of complaining. Leaving rewards undefined and still complaining? SMH.

Kwyn

Reaction score
There were fewer players with no trades last year than the year prior and overall it’s a fairly small number of players who can demand and get it.

As to guarantees, those are also just part of the deal. Baseball and NBA are all guaranteed. Only the weak players union in football has kept it limited so far.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Sports message boards...smh.

Invested with anti-pay player propaganda and now complaining about non-pay contract details.

How low can you go? Do you care about existence being decent for anyone but yourself?

Define the rewards instead of complaining. Leaving rewards undefined and still complaining? SMH.
I have no idea how Dak can get by as a single bread winner without having more leverage. How can you expect someone to live on $40 million?

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Would not accept it from any of the players on our current roster. If you are Tom Brady with rings 100%. Aikman, Irvin, Smith 100%. Mahomes 100%. Dak are you kidding me.