No Trade Clauses

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Get what you can. The system will chew them up and spit them out. Any person with any kind of leverage would get as much as they can. Wouldn't you? Please share your thoughts!
My thoughts:
Owners have no loyalty to anything except the $$$$$.
Players are now acting like owners, have no loyalty and are only about the $$$$$.
Fans have never really had loyalty, but are the providers of the $$$$$.

You are told 10,000 times that it is a business, an entertainment business.
It is not sport any more. It does not need to be fair. As long as you are spending $$$$$, no one cares what you think.
Owners will control every aspect of any business they can, if they are good business owners. This is exactly what everyone does for any business.
Players hire lawyers to represent them, so they can get the most $$$$ they can before the system or age spits them out.
Lawyers are loyal to the money first, and the one who hired them second.........nothing else matters to them.

So since we can't control anything anyway, accept that fact and enjoy the entertainment.
If you are no longer entertained..........turn it off. Turning it off and not caring about the product they put out there is the only way for them to change the product.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
My thoughts:
Players are now acting like owners, have no loyalty and are only about the $$$$$.

It is not sport any more. It does not need to be fair. As long as you are spending $$$$$, no one cares what you think.
Owners will control every aspect of any business they can, if they are good business owners. This is exactly what everyone does for any business.
Players hire lawyers to represent them, so they can get the most $$$$ they can before the system or age spits them out.
Lawyers are loyal to the money first, and the one who hired them second.........nothing else matters to them.

So since we can't control anything anyway, accept that fact and enjoy the entertainment.
If you are no longer entertained..........turn it off. Turning it off and not caring about the product they put out there is the only way for them to change the product.
Depressing post.

Whats more depressing is that you are highlighting how fake everything is. In a real world with people who are supposed to have real feelings...none of this would be taking place or at least to the extent it is.

Its all fake. No one is following a someone that doesnt care about anything but the money...yet this fake story(life) has a major hole in its story...and your post highlights it unfortunately :/

Its a fake illusion because the story doesnt make sense at all.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
It’s the team’s fault when a player gets the no trade clause. There is a give and take in negotiations.
The player likes his team and his city; he doesn’t want to be uprooted at any moment. He wants money and stability.
The team gives him a no trade clause as a compromise for other concessions, be it a lower salary or a compromise on the length of the contract. The no trade clause doesn’t just get written in. The team got something in exchange for giving it.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I will not blame dak or any player for taking whatever they can get but I do blame the front office for agreeing to the deal. They really backed themselves into a corner and allowed Daks agent to dictate how things go. The sad part is they didn't even get a good deal on the old contract he's on now.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
No trade clauses make sense for exceptional talent. Where it ages like milk is when you hand them out to average to below average players.

Mikexike

Reaction score
Are you fine with players on this team having this added into their contracts? Does this give the player too much power over the organization? I'm not a fan of it for my own reasons, I just wanted to see how you all feel about them, please give your thoughts
Not a fan of the no trade clause, Gives players and agents too much power. You cannot build a great team filled with stars that have no trade clauses...

fivetwos

Reaction score
No trade clauses don’t matter when you have no intention of trading the player.

A certain group of fans want to trade Prescott, ownership has never considered it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
By giving a player a no-trade clause as part of that deal, it lets the player know that when that time comes, they will not be traded away and forced to play for another team on a one or two year (remaining) contract because that team has plenty of cap space.
"Forced to play" is the key.

This doesn't prevent trades generally, it just prevents one that the QB doesn't want. They've got to find a win-win trade.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Forced to play" is the key.

This doesn't prevent trades generally, it just prevents one that the QB doesn't want. They've got to find a win-win trade.
Definitely, and I pointed that out in a thread a week or two ago as well.

No-trade does not mean they will not be traded, only that they cannot be traded to a team against their wishes.

But that's the point really that I was making is that the no-trade is there to prevent the player being pushed to a team they don't want to go to, such as one with a lot of cap room (which likely means they are not good) who did it because they can absorb the last year(s) of the player's contract (which are only salary-based as the pro-rated guaranteed money is covered by the team trading the player away) without giving an immediate new extension.

Last edited:

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
It's all negotiation.

Jerry makes them all the highest paid players at their position...and in return, he also gives them the added luxury of No Trade Clause.

Jerry's negotiation mantra is: "You have to GIVE a little, to give a little."

His other mantra: "You go high, I go higher, and then we meet somewhere even higher than those 2 numbers, while I urinate un my pants"

Buzzbait

Reaction score
It’s the team’s fault when a player gets the no trade clause. There is a give and take in negotiations.
The player likes his team and his city; he doesn’t want to be uprooted at any moment. He wants money and stability.
The team gives him a no trade clause as a compromise for other concessions, be it a lower salary or a compromise on the length of the contract.
The no trade clause doesn’t just get written in. The team got something in exchange for giving it.
But sometimes what the team gets in exchange for it unfortunately is the shaft. :facepalm:

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
No trade clauses are fine because they don’t do much to prevent trades.

If a player has a NTC, and the team decides to trade them… they’re going to get traded. What a NTC allows is to pick your future destination. No player is going to want to stay on a team that tells them to their face they’re not welcome anymore.

Flamma

Reaction score
Are you fine with players on this team having this added into their contracts? Does this give the player too much power over the organization? I'm not a fan of it for my own reasons, I just wanted to see how you all feel about them, please give your thoughts
I'm not a fan of it because it favors the player, not the team. As a fan I am in favor of whatever favors the team.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
They can still force a trade.

If the player wants to keep their base salary.

Otherwise, teams can just cut the player post June.

It’s the same deal in most cases.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I don't really mind them simply because rarely are they actually no trade clauses. Guys have no trade clauses all the time but really it just means they get to pick a few destinations they would be OK going to. If I were in their shoes I would want one too. I don't want to have to live out the last couple years of my contract living in a part of the world I dont want to be in.

I will say though that typically to negotiate those types of things into a deal a slight discount on the contract should be given. Simple give and take.
I think you undervalue the "leverage" aspect of having a NTC in your contract and a short term,, advantage Dak and France.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
My thoughts:

This is pretty much how I feel as well. I find it harder and harder to be a fan of a particular team. I have been a life long Cowboys, Maple Leafs and Lakers fan. The Maple Leafs are the mirror image of the Cowboys in almost every way. The Lakers are borderline unwatchable with Lebrons stupid antics and his idiot side kick street clothes. Sports has changed. For better or for worse I do not know. What I do know is that I find myself gravitating towards players who have a dedication first and foremost to the game and to legacy.

Mathews for the Leafs could not be happier. A true stat machine making as much money as he can. Nathan MacKinnon could have felt the same way but he did not. He hated his career and said he has not accomplished anything. Before long the Avs are Stanley Cup champions. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Karl Anthony Townes believes he has changed basketball playoffs do not mean anything to him. Joel Embid cries if he doesn't win the MVP. Jokic says nothing and before long is NBA champion. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Cmac

Reaction score
Despite the tendency to lean the sympathy to a franchise or owner.......the player is entitled to some leverage, as Collective Bargaining and the NFLPA supports. Only fair.