No Trade Clauses

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
It’s the team’s fault when a player gets the no trade clause. There is a give and take in negotiations.
The player likes his team and his city; he doesn’t want to be uprooted at any moment. He wants money and stability.
The team gives him a no trade clause as a compromise for other concessions, be it a lower salary or a compromise on the length of the contract. The no trade clause doesn’t just get written in. The team got something in exchange for giving it.
Jerry was asleep at the wheel and left this franchise in the hole with zero leverage in the Dak deal.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of it. The reason is it holds the team hostage when trying to improve.
They're really not trying to 'improve', and that's the problem. The entire thing is about making money, and both owners and players, that's all they're after.

Unfortunately, fans like us see things differently. We want the best players who will put forth their best effort. We want them to have the passion and desire to compete for championships. The thing is, the players and owners don't give a rat's arse about any of that. The league is not the same as it was in the 1970's, 1980's, or 1990's when the priorities were more about competition and less about who has the biggest salary. It's devolved into nothing more than 'just a job' that pays enormously well. It's this mindset that leads to players admitting they didn't care try to win a game because they were 'tired' or 'worn out'. If they were truly invested in competing crap like that would never happen. But each and every one of us needs to realize the players, especially those playing for the Dallas Cowboys, are only there to make money and don't want the same things the fans want.

Ranching says quit complaining and accept the league for what it is, and he's right to some extent. As fans we have to separate our priorities from the priorities of the players - they will no longer be the same as they were prior to the salary cap and free agency days. By the way, you can thank Jerry for a large part of that. His greed got that ball rolling.

A few of the Texas Rangers players said 'this is why we play the game' after winning the 2023 World Series. Does anyone think they will hear anyone on the Dallas roster say those words? You have a better chance of winning the lottery.

~ rant over.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They're really not trying to 'improve', and that's the problem. The entire thing is about making money, and both owners and players, that's all they're after.

Unfortunately, fans like us see things differently. We want the best players who will put forth their best effort. We want them to have the passion and desire to compete for championships. The thing is, the players and owners don't give a rat's arse about any of that. The league is not the same as it was in the 1970's, 1980's, or 1990's when the priorities were more about competition and less about who has the biggest salary. It's devolved into nothing more than 'just a job' that pays enormously well. It's this mindset that leads to players admitting they didn't care try to win a game because they were 'tired' or 'worn out'. If they were truly invested in competing crap like that would never happen. But each and every one of us needs to realize the players, especially those playing for the Dallas Cowboys, are only there to make money and don't want the same things the fans want.

Ranching says quit complaining and accept the league for what it is, and he's right to some extent. As fans we have to separate our priorities from the priorities of the players - they will no longer be the same as they were prior to the salary cap and free agency days. By the way, you can thank Jerry for a large part of that. His greed got that ball rolling.

~ rant over.
Then everyone should just go about their day be negative, and whatever happens happens, may be one day we'll get lucky. You're right my friend these players don't care, money is everything. When the DEAL is finally signed it was "it wasn't about the money!" Yes it was!!! They call money "respect" basically these days in the nfl. The NFL is a brotherhood, nobody is mad about a player making so much money, they encourage it, there will be a new player every year resetting the market.

It's obvious during and after the games that these players don't care, look at how they're going about things on the sideline, and begging for jerseys after the game, they could care less. All they know is my new model Lambo is coming in from Dubai in a few days!!

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Then everyone should just go about their day be negative, and whatever happens happens, may be one day we'll get lucky. You're right my friend these players don't care, money is everything. When the DEAL is finally signed it was "it wasn't about the money!" Yes it was!!! They call money "respect" basically these days in the nfl. The NFL is a brotherhood, nobody is mad about a player making so much money, they encourage it, there will be a new player every year resetting the market.

It's obvious during and after the games that these players don't care, look at how they're going about things on the sideline, and begging for jerseys after the game, they could care less. All they know is my new model Lambo is coming in from Dubai in a few days!!
I'm past the point caring whether Dak gets 45 mil a season or 145 mil a season. That's all he's after. Same with CeeDee, Micah, or anyone else on the roster. They don't want the same things fans want and never will.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm past the point caring whether Dak gets 45 mil a season or 145 mil a season. That's all he's after. Same with CeeDee, Micah, or anyone else on the roster. They don't want the same things fans want and never will.
Wow man, you really just put things into perspective to me, hey if you can feel that way, I think i'm going to adopt that also. Really if it doesn't affect me and my family I really could care less. I love this team, but not the way I used to, you saying what you're saying really really shed a bright light!! Thanks my friend uhhh

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Sports message boards...smh.

Invested with anti-pay player propaganda and now complaining about non-pay contract details.

How low can you go? Do you care about existence being decent for anyone but yourself?

Define the rewards instead of complaining. Leaving rewards undefined and still complaining? SMH.
OP asked for a discussion of a valid subject. You are the only one I see complaining. Everyone else is providing viewpoints.

Sandyf

Reaction score
I really think the no trade clause comes down to what their agent can get them. Look at the Kirk Cousins past contracts, they didn't have no trade clauses I believe but each of them were fully guaranteed for all the money. That also makes it harder to trade the player because it is a guaranteed contract.

Speaking of Cousins who is a free agent, if Minnesota doesn't resign him then his cap charge this year will be will be $28.5 million.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Are you fine with players on this team having this added into their contracts? Does this give the player too much power over the organization? I'm not a fan of it for my own reasons, I just wanted to see how you all feel about them, please give your thoughts
No more NTC’s. I have ZERO IDEA WHAT THES WE FO’S ARE THINKING when they do that. They don’t get a discount and it removes all leverage from them. Stupid, idiotic, insane, and just plain asinine.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Are you fine with players on this team having this added into their contracts? Does this give the player too much power over the organization? I'm not a fan of it for my own reasons, I just wanted to see how you all feel about them, please give your thoughts
You don't see much, or any, of those around anymore...only idiots like Jerry and son get suckered into a deal like that. It's like getting sucker punched in the mouth, and then getting up and saying "Thank you sir, can i have another?"....

and it's not even a generational talent you are dealing with.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You don't see much, or any, of those around anymore...only idiots like Jerry and son get suckered into a deal like that. It's like getting sucker punched in the mouth, and then getting up and saying "Thank you sir, can i have another?"....

and it's not even a generational talent you are dealing with.
Agreed