CFZ Noah, Dalton, Dorrance, and Cooper: The Guys You Didn't Want

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its a good thing the world doesn't turn as fast as some Cowboys fans opinions because centrifugal force would spin us all into space!

It was one game. Can we at least see them play a quarter of a season before we judge them? Guys who played well this week, we awful last week. I suspect some guys who played well this week might disappear next week.

ah...go over the the Eagles have been crowned thread ...and post this about the the Eagles.
They are SB champs after last night....:facepalm:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Every preseason there were numerous threads about how the Cowboys should get rid of these guys, how they were taking up a roster spot unnecessarily. They were fringe players, posters claimed, who were never going to amount to anything.

And, by the way, I'm not excluding myself. This isn't a "I told you so". This is just a small tribute to the blue collar players that typically don't get the accolades. Quite the opposite.

Why are they still on the team? The Cowboys should cut them to make room for "________".

"They are only keeping Dalton until Blake returns."

"All Noah can do is special teams."

"Dorrance Armstrong can't get in the same zip code as the opponent's quarterback."

"Get a real backup QB. Cooper Rush is just a warm body."

There are two concepts that I think many Cowboys fans don't take into consideration.

The first is familiarity. The longer a player remains on a team then the more he knows his teammates and usually the coaches. They know the system. They know their plays and their role on the team. They go to practice every day with their teammates. They form bonds.

The second is constant improvement when it comes to the quality of their play, their physical conditioning, and football education. They get better through constant practice. They get stronger through conditioning programs monitored by their coaches. They learn and acquire new skills and techniques.

I would say that the difference between the "fringe" players that make it and the ones that don't are their dedication to constant improvement. Coaches often consider their attitude and willingness to do whatever their teams need them for whether it is special teams or their preparation in the event they are needed on the field.

With the start of training camps these guys were considered "bubble" players almost every preseason. However, they were also in the top 300 college players at some point, the cream of the crop. In high school they were perennial All-State or All-City, the best in their school, perhaps even in their school's history. These are proud athletes.

We enjoy getting our 1st round draft picks and watching them make large contributions to their teams. It's easy to have those expectations, that's why they were drafted in the 1st round.

However, what is a major attribute on teams that consistently win? It is their ability to find players in the lower rounds or rookie free agency that make positive contributions. The Cowboys seem to be succeeding in that category despite fan perceptions that tend to judge players as final products out of college.

Didn’t take you much to get excited.

one pathetic victory where we tried everything we could to lose the game.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
agree but for the love of God, can we at least TRY drafting a quarterback in the 1st two rounds????

can we at least agree that the QB position may rate high enough to give it a shot?
No we’re all set at qb. Rookie probably wouldn’t beat out rush for the backup job.

Creeper

Reaction score
ah...go over the the Eagles have been crowned thread ...and post this about the the Eagles.
They are SB champs after last night....:facepalm:

They did look good, and the question mark about the Eagles was Hurts who played an exceptional game last night. However, as I posted in the other thread, it is just one game so we shouldn't overreact. Teams that start out hot sometimes fizzle out by mid season. The Cowboys have done that a few times themselves. I like teams that start a little slow and finish strong.

I picked the Eagles to make it to the Super Bowl before the season started IF Hurts did not make a mess of things. I am sticking to my prediction. It is a long season and a lot can happen, including injuries, as Dallas has had. But the Eagles have a solid roster all around and an exceptionally good OL.

And keep in mind, the Eagles made it to the playoffs last season. Unlike the Cowboys they strengthened their roster so is it that unreasonable to expect them to do better this season?

shabazz

Reaction score
No we’re all set at qb. Rookie probably wouldn’t beat out rush for the backup job.

We weren't set up before the injury and not set up after it either.

A case of a mediocre QB and a less than mediocre as a backup....and no better prospects in sight

Enjoy another season of watching other teams do well in the playoffs....i wont

Proof

Reaction score
Why do some poster refer to players by their first names?

Conversely, something interesting to keep an eye on.... almost 100 pct of the time when a poster calls Dak "Prescott" he doesn't like him or is trashing him. Kinda funny

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If we had a GM worth a crap they move up in drafts and make deals to do so. Many other teams have done exactly this over decades but we just stand pat. I already mentioned that Parsons was a can’t miss pick so stop that nonsense.

Jerry loves fans like you that back his style of management….especially when it comes to not acquiring elite talent at the Qb position. Y’all accept any crap Jerry serves you as long as you like the Qb.
And what fan are you? You gotta get off this elitist **** like your opinion is better than anyone else’s. We disagree on Dak. But what you can’t disagree with is how hard it is to find a quarterback and if you were GM you would’ve traded up to get Sam Darnold or Baker or Winston or Mariota…

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Every preseason there were numerous threads about how the Cowboys should get rid of these guys, how they were taking up a roster spot unnecessarily. They were fringe players, posters claimed, who were never going to amount to anything.

And, by the way, I'm not excluding myself. This isn't a "I told you so". This is just a small tribute to the blue collar players that typically don't get the accolades. Quite the opposite.

Why are they still on the team? The Cowboys should cut them to make room for "________".

"They are only keeping Dalton until Blake returns."

"All Noah can do is special teams."

"Dorrance Armstrong can't get in the same zip code as the opponent's quarterback."

"Get a real backup QB. Cooper Rush is just a warm body."

There are two concepts that I think many Cowboys fans don't take into consideration.

The first is familiarity. The longer a player remains on a team then the more he knows his teammates and usually the coaches. They know the system. They know their plays and their role on the team. They go to practice every day with their teammates. They form bonds.

The second is constant improvement when it comes to the quality of their play, their physical conditioning, and football education. They get better through constant practice. They get stronger through conditioning programs monitored by their coaches. They learn and acquire new skills and techniques.

I would say that the difference between the "fringe" players that make it and the ones that don't are their dedication to constant improvement. Coaches often consider their attitude and willingness to do whatever their teams need them for whether it is special teams or their preparation in the event they are needed on the field.

With the start of training camps these guys were considered "bubble" players almost every preseason. However, they were also in the top 300 college players at some point, the cream of the crop. In high school they were perennial All-State or All-City, the best in their school, perhaps even in their school's history. These are proud athletes.

We enjoy getting our 1st round draft picks and watching them make large contributions to their teams. It's easy to have those expectations, that's why they were drafted in the 1st round.

However, what is a major attribute on teams that consistently win? It is their ability to find players in the lower rounds or rookie free agency that make positive contributions. The Cowboys seem to be succeeding in that category despite fan perceptions that tend to judge players as final products out of college.
I am shocked by Armstrong against the Bengals.
He was a player!
This from a guy I just considered a backup before this season.
I will say he needs to keep it up.
But that last game is encouraging.
Parcell's said by the third year you know what you got with a player.

mmohican29

Reaction score
There was nothing elite about the Giants or Eagles when they won the SB. Or the Rams last season. The league is wide open.

This. Tbh- the talent difference between the SB Champ Rams and let's say... the NY Jets is marginal.

Look no further than the AFC Champ Bengals beaten by Mitch Trubisky and Cooper Rush b2b.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
Didn’t mind the other three but I was not a fan of bringing back Noah. I 1000% didn’t want Noah back. Thought he was a JAG. Glad to be wrong this far

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Hes development into a nice DE. He's not flashy, but he's the type to get you 6-10 sacks a season and play solid run defense.

He had what 6 last year, in a limited role?

It's crazy just because a guy doesn't flash an elite measurable we write them off.

In the first game, he was having trouble holding the right edge and getting pressure. One of the things threads like this do is point out players for having one good game. No problem with that, but let's don't forget the previous game or think it means they are going to have a great season. We just don't know that.

I was absolutely pleased with Noah Brown's play in this game, but the receiving corps struggled as a whole against the Bucs.

The only players who have had two good games IMO so far that were question marks for me have been Brett Maher (I wanted us to grab a replacement during cutdowns) and Tyler Smith (I thought he'd struggle starting at LT).

Havic

Reaction score
I was against Cooper Rush, but liked the Armstrong as good depth. He is proving to be more than that.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Hes development into a nice DE. He's not flashy, but he's the type to get you 6-10 sacks a season and play solid run defense.

He had what 6 last year, in a limited role?

It's crazy just because a guy doesn't flash an elite measurable we write them off.

True , but I hoped he would hold better against run, TB kept running towards that side and their inexperienced OL could move our DL for a lot of yards. I hope that doesnt become a trend

Reactions: CWR

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I'll admit I wasn't sure about Noah Brown, but now it's becoming clearer why they've kept him on the roster.

Armstrong and Schultz I was glad we retained.