Nobody should forget this off season and the lack of talent added

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
It was probably the worst off season in years, if we're doing a rebuild of some sort just make it known and say it! A lot of us don't see much hope for this season, we can look back at the GB game, then more importantly how we went about the off season not making significant moves to ensure GB doesn't happen again.

We will see how things go in camp then the PS and the season more importantly, just please don't forget

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
No smart owner is going say “we’re doing a rebuild”.

Thats basically saying “don’t watch us or come to the games”.

This is why you never, NEVER, believe a word they say in the media. You instead watch what they do.
Exactly. They may say it behind closed doors but they are not going to advertise it to the world. They will likely not even tell the players that a rebuild has started.

Aven8

Reaction score
I would have rather gotten Shane Bowen as our DC than Zimm, but what can you do when handing out 1 year deals?…..

Having said that, what they did not do is improve the RB situation. That will come back to bite them. Horrible management at it’s best folks….

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was probably the worst off season in years
o_O :huh:

Worst off season in years??? How so? The draft looks VERY promising. They didn't lose any FA's that weren't replaced.

The Cowboys likely aren't done signing FA's and there is always the possibility of a trade for a player.

They upgraded the DC which should be a big improvement.

You titled this thread with 'lack of talent added' which begs the question, who did they miss out on and who do you think they should have signed given the salary cap situation?

McKDaddy

Reaction score

Worst off season in years??? How so? The draft looks VERY promising. They didn't lose any FA's that weren't replaced.

The Cowboys likely aren't done signing FA's and there is always the possibility of a trade for a player.

You titled this thread with 'lack of talent added' which begs the question, who did they miss out on and who do you think they should have signed given the salary cap situation?
I think your feelings about the draft is shared but surely you recognize that proven players were allowed to leave and we are counting on unproven players to fill those roles.

Plus, we weren't good enough in some areas before and nothing was done to bring in proven players to elevate those areas.

Regardless of cap impact on our decisions, it's been a draft only off-season.

Our best hope is that some of our 2nd & 3rd year guys really step up as those are the folks it's easy for us fans to overlook. Even then we need all the rooks to exceed expectations and even if they do I doubt our overall team is better than last year. And last year's team wasn't good enough.

Maybe the DC is an upgrade maybe he isn't. But unless he's got some interior bully's in his briefcase, I don't see the results being that much different.

Creeper

Reaction score
But they're going to be a better team because 18 guys who was bad last year are going to be much better this year. I am being sarcastic of course.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This is why you never, NEVER, believe a word they say in the media. You instead watch what they do.
I agree with your opinion but do not necessarily believe Jerry Jones' rationalization is based on intelligence. Maybe based more upon greed perhaps..?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think your feelings about the draft is shared but surely you recognize that proven players were allowed to leave and we are counting on unproven players to fill those roles.
I'll never understand why unproven players are given more respect. For example, Beebe probably walked in a starting center than Tyler Biadasz was. If not, he will be very soon. All the FA's that left have been replaced.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

Let me start off by saying that I'm a huge fan of our draft class this season, but the problems is that the Cowboys offseason is almost completely dependent upon these guys mostly being day 1 contributors. By most studies you only see about 10% of selections in a given draft class contribute beyond replacement value during their careers. Even with 1st round players nearly half of them will not receive 2nd contracts from the team that drafted them. By the time you get to the 3rd round of a draft only about 10% of players in round 3 will make a pro bowl within their entire career. Very good draft, I 100% agree, but expectations for these draft classes have gotten out of hand because of the lack of FA supplementation.

As far as the DC goes time will tell if its really an upgrade or not. 90% of the defensive roster are still guys that were signed and drafted to play in DQs system. Overall this defense was still a top 5 unit in points allowed last year so really getting an upgrade is going to be tougher to do than people think. Will they be better against the run? I absolutely think so, but there comes a cost to that as well.

rambo2

Reaction score
It was probably the worst off season in years, if we're doing a rebuild of some sort just make it known and say it! A lot of us don't see much hope for this season, we can look back at the GB game, then more importantly how we went about the off season not making significant moves to ensure GB doesn't happen again.

We will see how things go in camp then the PS and the season more importantly, just please don't forget
They added some good talent. They are one of the better teams in the league.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

Yeah in this case Jerry has mastered a way to say anything yet still be the most expensive franchise in the NFL

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I would have rather gotten Shane Bowen as our DC than Zimm, but what can you do when handing out 1 year deals?…..

Having said that, what they did not do is improve the RB situation. That will come back to bite them. Horrible management at it’s best folks….
That's when you'll see us do a trade like we did for amari