Nobody should forget this off season and the lack of talent added

shabazz

Reaction score
No smart owner is going say “we’re doing a rebuild”.

Thats basically saying “don’t watch us or come to the games”.

This is why you never, NEVER, believe a word they say in the media. You instead watch what they do.
The biggest mistake was Dak contract and the no trade cause

If the Cowboys would have been able to get a 1st round or more draft picks for trading Dak, the FO could have at least made the case that they were accumulating picks to select the next franchise quarterback......so now all they can do is pretend to be all in and just let him walk after the season.

The fans attention span is short and losing him in the offseason is easier, media wise.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
No smart owner is going say “we’re doing a rebuild”.

Thats basically saying “don’t watch us or come to the games”.

This is why you never, NEVER, believe a word they say in the media. You instead watch what they do.
Just my humble opinion... If Jerry was to come up to me and say "we are rebuilding. We screwed up not doing anything when problems occurred. We don't know how to fix the problems we have. but we are going to try different things to see if it fixes our problems" I would respect him so much... It takes a man to admit his faults and admit his wrongs as long as he actually does something. The problem lies he half admits things and doesn't do a darn thing to try to fix anything.... He would rather sell a jersey than fix the team.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Just my humble opinion... If Jerry was to come up to me and say "we are rebuilding. We screwed up not doing anything when problems occurred. We don't know how to fix the problems we have. but we are going to try different things to see if it fixes our problems" I would respect him so much... It takes a man to admit his faults and admit his wrongs as long as he actually does something. The problem lies he half admits things and doesn't do a darn thing to try to fix anything.... He would rather sell a jersey than fix the team.
Jerry doesn’t care about fans respect.

Jerry cares about fans in seats.

Thats why he will never say “we’re rebuilding”.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
It was probably the worst off season in years, if we're doing a rebuild of some sort just make it known and say it! A lot of us don't see much hope for this season, we can look back at the GB game, then more importantly how we went about the off season not making significant moves to ensure GB doesn't happen again.

We will see how things go in camp then the PS and the season more importantly, just please don't forget
Not maintaining the rights to Igbinoghene Island is really the death knell for the 2024 season. Seriously though, I think you’re being just a bit too cynical.

Just look forward to having LB’s playing the position this year. Be happy that there is a renewed enthusiasm about rebuilding the offensive line. I believe the secondary is getting more athletic/dynamic and we can look forward to seeing Diggs opposite Bland this year – that’s at least moderately exciting. Zimmer loves safeties, so we’ll see what he’s got up his sleeve with that position group. Promising draft class this year and we’ll see if Mazi’s true to his word and can land between serviceable and good (I’d take that). Dak will still be putting up big numbers with Lamb, and can Ferguson continue his ascension toward all pro status? Granted, there are plenty of questions, but I like the odds of some of the youngin's making positive contributions.

Granddad told you it was time to PAY THE BILL, and should we really fret over losing a C that would have been the runaway weak link if it wasn’t for Steele playing in recovery mode, 2 rotational (ok, they were good, but still…rotational) DE’s, Hankins, who did not grade out well and only shined due to his comparison to Mazi, and what does a one year older Tyron look like this year?

To play your side of the fence, the head scratcher to me was the missed opportunities at the RB position. I thought with 2 3rd rd picks the Cowboys should have walked away with either Lloyd or Wright. Or, perhaps prioritizing the position slightly higher than obtaining the services of Royce Freeman. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a couple players added in the coming weeks as depth this year may be a bigger concern than in ’23.

To the OP, if granddad told you the vault was sealed shut this year, would you be surprised if your team made the playoffs (WC this year), and lost in the first round but was clearly more competitive than in the Great GB Debacle of 2023? It’s possible this happens, and I get it, it’s not much of a consolation, but the fact is that how this organization operates and with the mishandling of $$$’s, a light reset (at min.) is in order, but we’re certainly NOT going to be told that is what’s happening from Jed or Jethro.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I'll never understand why unproven players are given more respect. For example, Beebe probably walked in a starting center than Tyler Biadasz was. If not, he will be very soon. All the FA's that left have been replaced.

You'll never understand why unproven players aren't given more respect? Am I understanding you correctly?

Biadasz was simply not strong enough. Beebe may very well walk in & be better just by virtue of being stronger .... or it may take time for him to adjust to the NFL. But until it's shown that the can consistently do that in live action, there is only optimism & hope.
Besides that is just one guy. I'm certainly not optimistic that all of the young guys can or will be equal to their predecessors in the short term.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TNERC30.png

foofighters

Reaction score
It was probably the worst off season in years, if we're doing a rebuild of some sort just make it known and say it! A lot of us don't see much hope for this season, we can look back at the GB game, then more importantly how we went about the off season not making significant moves to ensure GB doesn't happen again.

We will see how things go in camp then the PS and the season more importantly, just please don't forget
Didn't you have a thread about asking if our guys were too good?

Chasing6

Reaction score

Don't you worry. It will be all Dak's fault.

Sydla

Reaction score
They added some good talent. They are one of the better teams in the league.
What “good” talent did they add?

They added a vet LB on the downside of his career and that’s about it in FA. The draft? Took a talented LT that might have to sit for a bit as he adjusts to the NFL.

So where is all this good talent they added that is going to immediately help this team?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Who knew that if you came up short, didn't try to improve, that you will not actually improve.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
o_O :huh:

Worst off season in years??? How so? The draft looks VERY promising. They didn't lose any FA's that weren't replaced.

The Cowboys likely aren't done signing FA's and there is always the possibility of a trade for a player.

They upgraded the DC which should be a big improvement.

You titled this thread with 'lack of talent added' which begs the question, who did they miss out on and who do you think they should have signed given the salary cap situation?
The previous DC gets a head coaching job. He’s replaced by a DC that lost a head coaching job a couple of years ago, was not coaching, and was willing to sign a one year contract. Unlikely that’s an upgrade. The team loses their starting center to a new team that made him the 5th highest paid center in the league and replaced him with a guy that’s never played in the NFL and was a guard in the Big 12 last season. Somehow that’s an upgrade because he’s physically strong. As if that’s a trait unique to him in the league. Every team in the NFL drafted players in the recent draft. Few are depending on their rookies to perform to the degree the Cowboys are. It was not a comparatively productive off season for the Cowboys.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
He was overrated. There are 2 draft picks from last year among others who can pick up his snaps.
You can claim he was overrated but he was about the only thing we had in the way of a space eating NT on the roster. They drafted Mazi to help out but he decided to go on Weight Watchers.

rambo2

Reaction score
What “good” talent did they add?

They added a vet LB on the downside of his career and that’s about it in FA. The draft? Took a talented LT that might have to sit for a bit as he adjusts to the NFL.

So where is all this good talent they added that is going to immediately help this team?
I can't believe you have to ask. This site is so ridiculous. Just watch the season.

Sydla

Reaction score
I can't believe you have to ask. This site is so ridiculous. Just watch the season.
This is code for “I just exaggerated”.

They didn’t actually add a lot of talent this offseason. They basically sat out FA. Their top draft pick is a talented, but raw OT that might not play to start the season.

They are basically counting on the existing roster to just improve.

This is why no one takes you seriously as a poster, Claiming this team added good talent this offseason is borderline insane.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You'll never understand why unproven players aren't given more respect? Am I understanding you correctly?
Correctamundo. Just because they haven't had the chance to prove themselves yet doesn't automatically mean they can't do the job.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
o_O :huh:

Worst off season in years??? How so? The draft looks VERY promising. They didn't lose any FA's that weren't replaced.

The Cowboys likely aren't done signing FA's and there is always the possibility of a trade for a player.

They upgraded the DC which should be a big improvement.

You titled this thread with 'lack of talent added' which begs the question, who did they miss out on and who do you think they should have signed given the salary cap situation?
How can you delude yourself this way?